Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

More ideas for bouquet/garter toss?

Starting with the bouquet toss- I would love to do this. My FI and I are a YOUNG couple. There will be plenty of singles at our wedding. I've read about attaching a gift card to the bouquet (and garter) I think that's a really nifty idea. Basically- no objections to the bouquet toss.

Garter toss- Still have yet to decide if I want future hubby to even take it off of me in front of everyone. And it hadn't even crossed my mind for him to throw such an intimate thing into a group of his guys friends! But, I do think it would be fun to pair up the "catchers" for a funny dance. Again, we're young, I can't think of one friend who would be embarrased by this. But also.... I want my garter back LOL! Anyone ever used something other than a garter? (In case I decide I don't want FI to take it off of me)

Any other ideas? Steer clear of this old tradition? Any input appreciated :]

Re: More ideas for bouquet/garter toss?

• Teddy917Teddy917 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2013
    I personally hate the idea of a garter toss. If you want to throw something else to his guy friends, I think that's fine. But please don't make the catchers do anything. And I wouldn't do just single people for either. Even if you think that your friends will like it, what if someone's going through a tough breakup. Being singled out could be hurtful.
  • That's true. I want to do some sort of toss, but I think I'll ultimately decide if I want any fun activity when I know for sure who's coming. Heck, maybe even the day of when I see who catches each item!

Now to think of something to replace the garter...
  • jaz624 said:
    Starting with the bouquet toss- I would love to do this. My FI and I are a YOUNG couple. There will be plenty of singles at our wedding. I've read about attaching a gift card to the bouquet (and garter) I think that's a really nifty idea. Basically- no objections to the bouquet toss.

Garter toss- Still have yet to decide if I want future hubby to even take it off of me in front of everyone. And it hadn't even crossed my mind for him to throw such an intimate thing into a group of his guys friends! But, I do think it would be fun to pair up the "catchers" for a funny dance. Again, we're young, I can't think of one friend who would be embarrased by this. But also.... I want my garter back LOL! Anyone ever used something other than a garter? (In case I decide I don't want FI to take it off of me)

Any other ideas? Steer clear of this old tradition? Any input appreciated :]
    Please don't do this.  I can only imagine it would be quite awkward for the two "catchers".  

Also, many garters actually come in a set of two: one for throwing and one to save as a keepsake.  Just buy a set like this, and you won't have to worry about finding any sort of replacement.  I bought a set like this for less than $20 at a bridal shop.
  • The way to keep the tosses classy is to keep pressure off of the participants.

No pairing them.  No putting them on the spot for dances, speeches, NO MAKING THE GARTER GUY PUT IT ON THE BOUQUET LADY!   Bad, don't do it!

Most garters come in a set of two, one for tossing and one for keeping.  I have seen some ladies post here that their FI put the garter around a football, then threw it.  

Keep it classy, keep it brief.  Keep it pressure free for the participants, and everyone will love it.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I was planning on making my own garter. But heck, I guess I can make two! The football idea is a good one. Young guys will be attending, all football fanatics.

Would it be weird if my FI never took off my garter... and we just had the 2nd garter already on the football, prepared to toss after I did my bouquet?
  • Speaking as someone who caught the bouquet once and had to endure the guy who caught the garter putting it on my leg, up my dress....please don't. It's not nearly as much fun as you think it's going to be for your friends. YOU think it's going to be fun and cute. For the girl put on the spot, it's awkward and embarrassing. Please think about this -- YOU don't want your FI to take the garter off your leg, but you want to make the girl who catches the bouquet have to dance with or have the guy who caught the garter put it on her leg? That's just awful, quite frankly.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Never said anything about making the guy put the garter on the bouquet catcher, wouldn't dream of it!
  • @peledreamsofrain curious to hear your input from my comment about already having the 2nd garter on the football. Is that weird?

Also any ideas on an alternative to the garter? Or does that just make the tradition completely null and void
  • Hrm... It might be a good alternative if you really want to have the toss, but are super shy. People might wonder what you are hiding under yoir dress though, that you won't risk even flashig an ankle.

For my garter toss, I held my dress down, and had my H on board with not putting his head under. Nothing more than my ankle showed, and everyone got a laugh at the Mission Impossible music the DJ played.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• jaz624 said:
    Would it be weird if my FI never took off my garter... and we just had the 2nd garter already on the football, prepared to toss after I did my bouquet?

I actually think this is pretty typical.  I've heard of a lot of people doing it this way.  (I'm, like, an anti-garter-toss crusader, because I have seen some scenarios at weddings that seriously look like a sexual assault is occuring and I just think the whole thing is gross, but I am willing to concede that the football thing is the best compromise, and I encourage doing it this way if you have to do it at all.)

Please don't make anyone dance, though!  Eek!  Even having to go out try and catch the garter/bouquet is bad enough for some of us introverts!

• Yeah, I don't know. Might skip out on the garter entirely. Don't want to make it so out of ordinary that people get confused at what's going on
  • My man was NOT going up my beautiful expensive dress in front of all our family and friends. I have no idea where this tradition came from, but I'd be happy to see it gone. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards