Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Weekday wedding/guest accommodations

Lots of questions comin' your way from a young bride to be!

Okay, I'm planning a June wedding (No not in a month. Yes in over a year, please disregard the premature planning lol.) I want to be wed on June 24th, my anniversary, however that falls on a Tuesday. I'm hoping the fact that it's June will allow more guests to attend, but it won't KILL me if I have to change the date. None of our guests will be traveling from more than 2 hours away. Actually only 2 are more than an hour away, so I'm very fortunate in that respect.

Next, the wedding will be at my family's house and I will be having an open bar. Are the guests coming from far away enough so that I should set up a hotel situation or anything? Especially if I change the date to the weekend? Should I offer some guests to stay at the house? Or is that too informal?

Additionally, since the wedding is at my family's house FH and I wanted wanted to get a hotel room that night. Do we wait to leave until all the guests have? Or would it be better to skip out on the hotel all together?

Re: Weekday wedding/guest accommodations

• tiny specktiny speck member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2013
    1. I would set up a hotel block regardless of what day you end up having the wedding (it will probably be much easier for your guests to attend if it's on a weekend though, no matter how close they live).

2. I would not offer to host people overnight at your family's house.

3. I would get a hotel room for your wedding night. It doesn't matter when you leave as long as someone else is taking care of cleanup (but don't assume your family will just do this: wait for them to offer, or stay to the end to do it yourself).
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

#1, A hotel block AND a shuttle would be ideal. Parking a ton of cars in a residential area can sometimes be against city ordainances. Drunk drivers are never fun, either.

#2, Avoid a weekday wedding in a residential area. Your neighbors have to work the next day and it would be pretty rude to have all of the raucous party goers lingering til all hours of the night

#3, If you are serving an open bar at  private residence, make sure the homeowners get extra event and/or liability insurance. They'd be responsible for any drinking and driving incidents as well as any damages to their property or surrounding properties.

#4, No one should be offered to stay at your parents' house without your parents doing the offering. You and FI should definitely get a separate hotel room.

• Great advice. I think I'll just suck it up and move the wedding to that Friday, 3 days won't kill me. And of course, silly me, getting so wrapped up in my event it hadn't even crossed my mind that I would be having a weekday party surrounded by neighbors. 

Thanks for bringin' me back to reality! 
    So- Friday wedding, hotel block, figure out a shuttle/drivers, getting my own hotel room as well. I'll be posting MUCH more in the future, thanks!
  • So, just out of curiousity, why move to Friday rather than Saturday if you're giving up on the specific date?  Friday evening weddings still often require folks to take time off work and so forth, and if it's at your parents' house there can't be any sort of venue pricing issues?
  • @callopeia2013 Good point. I was just thinking weekend, Saturday would work too
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards