Plus-Sized

When would you order gown?

LAM524LAM524 member
5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
edited May 2013 in Plus-Sized
Hello all,

I may have posted this before, if I have, I apologize. Im just not sure if I posted here or on FB where I have a private group for just me and my bridesmaids. I cant seem to settle this question in my head with any real comfort. My wedding is May 24, 2014. I am currently dieting and have lost about 23 lbs (in 2 months). Ideally, I have 70lbs to go. I feel I could reach it or at least close to it by this time next year but we all know I need to order my gown well before the wedding. :)

Ive been reading different sites that do suggest gown shopping/purchase 8-12 months out. I am thinking I can order my gown in Oct. I know this is 7 months out and maybe pushing it...limiting my designer choices. Im ok with that! Ive also read that rule of thumb is a gown can be altered 2 sizes but 3 sizes is pushing it.

What do you all think? If I order in Oct. I will still have 7 months to lose weight. That could be a lot of weight and more then 2 sizes down. I also read that if you chose a corset back, they are better for taking in, vs. a zipper back. A corset back is the only thing I do know I want, so this works in my favor.

Any knowledge/experience or advice would be appreciated! I also know that I could buy off the "rack" closer to my wedding but I dont know if I want to be that limited in choices.

btw...is there a way for me to see/search all of my posts?

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif

Re: When would you order gown?

• It really depends on what kind of dress you want.  Do you want a designer dress (Mori Lee, Alfred Angelo, Maggie, Casablanca, etc.)  if so, you pretty much need to order at least 6-9 months in advance. If you are ok with limiting yourself to only Davids' Bridal route, you have even more time.  Most of their dresses arrive in about 2 months. I would probably order no later than the 4 month mark though, which means you could probably push to December or even early January. 

If you wait until October, you will eliminate some designers (Maggie being one of them, and probably Allure), but, you will probably be ok with AA and Mori Lee, and a few others. 

A corset back is somewhat forgiving with weight fluctuation, but it doesn't really make the dress easier to take in.  If the dress needs to be taken in significantly, it will need to be done all over the bodice.  For example, if you lose a ton of weight, they still have to make sure the dress is positioned correctly over your bust.  So, they would need to take it in on the sides and in the middle of the bust.  If they only took it in on the sides, the cups of the dress would end up under your underarms.   So, it's really just a matter of how much weight you lose, and where you lose it. 

Congrats on your weight loss.  As you probably know, you lose a lot more weight in the beginning, and then it will start to slow down.  23 pounds in 2 months is awesome, but I wouldn't expect that to continue.  You can pretty much plan on 2-3 pounds per week if you are doing it right.  So, realistically, 5 months, times 8-10 pounds per month, you could lose 40-50 pounds by October.  That is still pretty aggressive, but it can be done. 

Good luck to you on the weight loss and the dress hunting !!

PS - You can find your posts by clicking on your user name/icon. It will take you to your "wall", where you will see a counter with all of your posts/replies.  Click on that number and it will take you to your posts.

• LAM524LAM524 member
    Thank you so much!! Especially for those #'s you figured!! I am hoping for that 40 by October so seeing someone else say it makes he VERY hopeful!!!

My "knowledge" of the corset being easier to take in comes from "Say Yes To The Dress" but boy....I was only thinking about waist! (thats what the emphasis was for that bride)  :/ ! Duh-me! You are right the bust cup could end up in my arm pit! Geez, that would normally make me so happy but not at the expense of losing the "style" of the gown and extremes amount of money to alter! Actually, Im fibbing! If I have to spend tons of money on alterations because I lost much weight, I would happily do it!!!! ! :)

I heard something else that I cant really recall but maybe you know. Is it not advised to lose weight after we order our gown or after 1st fitting? Or both? Just wondering if I can continue to lose after I order the gown? Is there a rule of thumb? As you can tell by my questions, I havent stepped foot in a bridal gown store yet!! I appreciate your time!!! :)

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • LAM2228 said:
    Thank you so much!! Especially for those #'s you figured!! I am hoping for that 40 by October so seeing someone else say it makes he VERY hopeful!!!

My "knowledge" of the corset being easier to take in comes from "Say Yes To The Dress" but boy....I was only thinking about waist! (thats what the emphasis was for that bride)  :/ ! Duh-me! You are right the bust cup could end up in my arm pit! Geez, that would normally make me so happy but not at the expense of losing the "style" of the gown and extremes amount of money to alter! Actually, Im fibbing! If I have to spend tons of money on alterations because I lost much weight, I would happily do it!!!! ! :)

I heard something else that I cant really recall but maybe you know. Is it not advised to lose weight after we order our gown or after 1st fitting? Or both? Just wondering if I can continue to lose after I order the gown? Is there a rule of thumb? As you can tell by my questions, I havent stepped foot in a bridal gown store yet!! I appreciate your time!!! :)

yeah, if you lost all of your weight in your waist, it would be no problem. But, generally, you shrink all over.  If you loose more than 2 sizes, they will likely have to recreate the dress. Which means, a LOT of alterations expenses and cannot always be done, depending on the style and detail on the dress.   General rule of thumb is 10-15 pounds equals 1 size.  Again, that is just a general rule. It will depend on where you lose the weight. 

You can continue to shed a little bit of weight after you buy the dress, but avoid losing more than 2 sizes.  After your first fitting, try keeping your weight as stable as possible. You don't want to have one fitting and then go back to try the dress on after its been altered, and have to start the alterations process all over again.

• It took me 4 weeks to get my dress from DB. I was surprised because she told me I wouldn't be getting it until the end of June. I also ordered it a size smaller, which is normally a HUGE risk, but it fits. I am planning on dropping another 20 by the wedding. I have noticed that my boobs have shrunk a TON, so keep that in mind. I need to find a good push up to fix the armpit problem. 

Congrats on the weight loss! Keep it up! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LAM524LAM524 member
    good point cmg! @ Alliebear...did they caution you about additional weight loss and alteration problems etc?

• Yes they did. She said about what cmg did. Not to lose more than 15-20, but since I tried on the dress that I ordered a size smaller, and I see how much better it will look when I drop inches in my waist. I'm okay with losing more. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LAM524LAM524 member
    You did good then!!!! Good for you!!! Was that after you ordered or 1st fitting?

• First fitting isn't for another 20 days!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LAM524LAM524 member
    Awesome!!! Keep us posted!!!

• Actually, I am in the exact same position! My wedding is May 18th of next year, and I am definitely working on my fitness... so the question is definitely when to order!

Here's my plan - I'm going to give myself 6 months to get into whatever shape that I can. From there, I will order my gown and just assume that I'll be at or very near that size at the wedding. If it needs to be taken in an extra size, great! If not, then I'm still happy because I know that my FI proposed to me and loves me the way I am now, so any improvement from there is just a bonus.

But either way, at some point, you'll have to order your gown so just give yourself the 6 months, and order/alter from that point. Seven months feels like it's pushing it - you don't want to be frantic about having your gown fitted in time!

Good luck - it sounds like you're already doing awesome!  :)

• LAM524LAM524 member
    Thanks MrsSmith! I have that same thought!!!! He proposed when I looked "that way" so looking "this way" is greater!!!!

Congrats n best wishes!!! Happy planning!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards