Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Dance Class? Practice 1st Wedding Dance?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Dance Class? Practice 1st Wedding Dance?

• Options
    FI and I aren't taking lessons, because we're just middle-school style slow dancing to an 80s ballad.  Pretty basic, and we've got great rhythym since we're musicians.  However, we still practice once in a while.  This is mainly because I need to learn how to let him lead :)
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

If you take a class, they will likely want to choreograph your first dance for you. Even if the instructors don't do choreography, it will probably look like it. The two of you are more worried about getting the steps correct versus just enjoying the moment.

If you want to do a rehearsed dance, go for it. It's just not my style.

• Options
  • Options
    Would you like a choreographed dance? Or just learn how to twirl?

Lessons, as mentioned by itz, will probably choreograph your first dance. But if you're just looking to pick up a couple moves, try going to a dance club - a ballroom type of place where they do themes dance nights. Salsa, waltz, swing, etc. If you two split up and try other partners, other experiences dancers can teach you moves and you two can get back together and teach each other. I used to do this in college with some friends and one of my exes.

My FI is dying to take lessons and choreograph a dance - but I don't want to deal with the stress of having to remember a dance on the day of! We'll probably head to a local club/ballroom for their swing night and learn a couple little twirls.
  • Options
    We plan to practice...just haven't found the time...only 10 days to go, yikes. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FI uses a wheelchair. He wanted to wing it. I said no. We tried practicing in our basement and it was hilarious. Half of me thinks its a good idea to wing it because people will share in that hilarious moment...the other half of me knows that people are going to feel bad for us....which I don't want.

I want to work with a dance instructor/choreographer, but we don't have many days off together so it makes it hard. We might have a lot of basement practice if I can't arrange it.

For my first wedding, we took classes. I really enjoyed the date night it made them and I enjoyed learning to dance. I suggest it. My ex froze and forgot how to do it so I was leading/dragging him across the dance floor but that was him. I still suggest it.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    I am actually a dancer and FI is decidedly NOT, so we're going to do the middle school sway as well. I did teach him how to turn me and dip me so he can change it up a little if he wants. 

I'm going to disagree with PPs on dance lessons. If you sign up for a series of lesson, then yes, they will want to teach you choreography (even as a dancer I did not want that kind of pressure). But if you just sign up for one lesson, tell them you want to learn the basic step and one or two variations. 

What is your song? I can help you more if I know that. 
  • Options
    H and I did one of the trial one-time lessons.  We were legit thinking about taking lessons until they showed us the "wedding" packages - holy crap were they ridiculous.  It was good though; they taught us the proper frame and a basic box step and how to spin me and stuff.  Then after that we just winged it.  Our posture was probably better b/c of the lesson and we utilized the spins (which we do now at every dancing occasion - Christmas party, other weddings, etc.).  We had a great time with it and just let it flow.  I honestly didn't even think about who was watching us, I was just having a good time with my husband :-)
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We're opting for lessons. I am not excellent at dancing, although I can do your typical wedding dancing. My partner, however, cannot dance to save his life.

And we actually are looking to have a fun, choreographed first dance because we want to use Love Me Madly by Cake ...
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I love Cake. I saw them live at the hatch shell in Boston. Someone tried to start a mosh pit...at Cake! It didn't work and the guy knocked himself unconscious and had to be carried out of the crowd.

-End Tangent.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    Gumby68Gumby68 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    We are taking lessons, but they're really laid back, and the purpose is to learn a type of dance rather than a choreographed dance (we learned the two step and then switched to the waltz). I've always had a hard time letting the guy lead unless he really knows what he's doing, and my fiance doesn't know what he's doing. We've had a great time because it's an excuse for date night too. We definitely wouldn't have done it if the purpose was for a choreographed dance as that isn't our style. 

I also learned another simple step so I can lead my dad during the father/daughter dance. 
  • Options
    Kate61487 said:
    H and I did one of the trial one-time lessons.  We were legit thinking about taking lessons until they showed us the "wedding" packages - holy crap were they ridiculous.  It was good though; they taught us the proper frame and a basic box step and how to spin me and stuff.  Then after that we just winged it.  Our posture was probably better b/c of the lesson and we utilized the spins (which we do now at every dancing occasion - Christmas party, other weddings, etc.).  We had a great time with it and just let it flow.  I honestly didn't even think about who was watching us, I was just having a good time with my husband :-) This is exactly what we did.  We bought a Groupon for like $25 that included 2 private 30 min lessons, an hour group lesson, and unlimited practice time during their open hours (we ended up only using the 2 private lessons).  We learned just enough to look like we were actually
    dancing instead of just doing the 'jr high sway'.

Ditto also on not really focusing on who was watching us, but it was a lot of fun to be able to 'properly' dance at our wedding, and now any other events that have dancing.  We've even danced in our living room in the middle of cleaning our house because our wedding song came on.  
    Anniversary
  • Options
    keochankeochan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Me and the FI are learning how to swing, just by going to swing nights at local places, we just want to get the moves down really well and wing it on the day. I'd look for theme nights in the area and go to those, people are usually really willing to help newbies out from what I've experienced
  • Options
    We did a free lesson at an Arthur Murray dance studio. They showed us basic steps and then tried to sell us on a $500 or $1000+ package. We decided it just wasn't worth the money for us. Like 2 weeks later they had a booth at a festival and had a special $49 for 2 private lessons and 2 group lessons, so we purchased that. We love to dance as is and I think they'll be fun date nights :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    MuppetFan, that's so crazy! I once saw them perform a free concert at Boston City Hall, and while there wasn't any moshing, things got a bit wild during Short Skirt/Long Jacket.

But yeah, if my partner were a little less dance-challenged, and we were using a different song (my brother and sister-in-law used "It Had to be You"), we'd just wing it. I'll feel much more comfortable, and have a lot more fun if we take some lessons.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I've been swing dancing for several years, my FI doesn't really dance a lot. He's got the slow dance sway down... and thats about it. We'll probably visit local swing dance venues for the next two months.  Venues around here offer basic and intermediate lessons for $7 each. He gets the lesson and then we get to practice afterward :)
  • Options
    hutchslhutchsl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    My DH and I met in dance class. Our instructors have choreographed for some of our friends but we did not want that. Since we know some steps we just winged it. Beforehand I had wanted to practice some moves with a dance friend in my dress to see how well I could dance in it. But that did not happen. DH quickly learned I could not spin in a long dress that was bustled. So keep in mind and restrictions your dress may cause. That said dance lessons to just learn some steps is a good thing. It can be fun and give you some options to just the high school sway.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I bought two dance lessons with a Groupon.  They're just a half-hour, and we had our first last night.  We are absolutely clueless about dancing, so in that time, all we learned was the basic steps for the waltz and rumba.  My FI is actually better than me, even though he hates dancing.  He looks a little tin-man like, but his rhythm is spot on.  Mine needs work.  

Hopefully our next lesson will teach us a little fox trot or swing.  We're not choreographing our first dance, but it isn't a slow song, so we need to be able to do a little real dancing.  We can't just sway to it.  We tried a little basic rumba to our song last night, and it works, but we would need to practice more and add a lot of extra things (dips/spins/etc.) to make it interesting.

SaveSave
  • Options
    This is basically what I was going to say as well. Also, check out your local library for instructional DVD's. Most public libraries have a least a couple - and it's free!

And if you walked into a studio and just said you wanted to learn a couple basic dances (aka the steps), any good instructor should be happy to do just that. My mom (amateur competitive ballroom dancer) does just that for couples all the time. 
  • Options
    My DD received a gift certificate for 1 hr of dance instruction.  She thought it was helpful.  Instructor gave them lots of tips re walking onto the dance floor, the dance itself, dancing in a strapless gown, type of song to pic etc.  They ended up paying for an addtional hr.  Their first dance looked very nice, not rehearsed, not over the top dance routine, just two in love people having a lovely first dance as newly marrieds.
  • Options
    We're doing dance lessons (ballroom and swing, just learning the steps and a few moves, no choreography) through our community center. It's like $50 for a multiple week class (maybe 4-5 session). We don't need to choreography anything, but we want to be able to do more than the middle school sway. We can already sorta waltz, but I feel like if we don't add twirls or anything it will be just as boring.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards