Wedding Invitations & Paper

Not so proper addressing?

So I read through the top discussion regarding the proper way to address envelopes for invitations/STDs. Just thought I would throw out my opinion and get some thoughts on how people felt about not putting Mr and Mrs before people's name on the envelope, such as Jane and John Smith. I'm just a laid back type person and I feel that it's not my or my FH style to be super proper when it comes to addressing. Did anyone else label their envelopes simply or do I need to suck it up and be more proper on the envelope?

Re: Not so proper addressing?

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    So I read through the top discussion regarding the proper way to address envelopes for invitations/STDs. Just thought I would throw out my opinion and get some thoughts on how people felt about not putting Mr and Mrs before people's name on the envelope, such as Jane and John Smith. I'm just a laid back type person and I feel that it's not my or my FH style to be super proper when it comes to addressing. Did anyone else label their envelopes simply or do I need to suck it up and be more proper on the envelope?

But it's not about you. It's about being respectful to your guests.

You're inviting them to witness quite possibly the most important event in your life.

No, you won't be struck down by etiquette lightning for not using titles when addressing. However, it's just the proper thing to do.

• LyannaStarkLyannaStark member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013
    I think I'll probably do them on a case by case basis. My grandmother won't think twice about being addressed as Mrs. Rickard Stark, but I and a lot of my friends kind of can't stand that wording, cause darnit, I have my own first name. So most younger people will be Catelyn and Eddard Stark instead. (Or Catelyn Tully and Eddard Stark since many of them didn't change their names anyway so it'd be moot.) 

Having said that, most people don't care too much either way and throw the envelope in the trash after they open it anyway. 

This is a fun username to have when you have to make up fake names for friends and relatives.

ETA: Exactly, so know your audience. I'll respect my friends' preferences for being referred to by their full name, and I'll respect my grandmother's by doing it old-school. 
    itzMS said:

But it's not about you. It's about being respectful to your guests.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks girls!  I can also see my friends who are recently married not liking the more proper way but I can definetly do it for older guests who would likely prefer the proper labeling.
  • We did not use Mr. and Mrs. on ours. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We used Mr and Mrs on the outer envelope and just first names on the inner envelope.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards