Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon plans foiled

I am SO bummed. Exactly one month before we get married and I find out that we will most likely have to cancel our already booked honeymoon to Jamaica in order to pay for the rest of the reception costs. Fiance works his own business so income is inconsistent. The job he had for the end of this month cancelled so the $2500 that he was going to earn went up in smoke along with our honeymoon plans. I know I shouldn't be so upset and yes at least we will be able to have the reception that we (I - just being honest) want but this totally sucks. I was really looking forward to spending time with my husband on an island for 10 days away from it all, relaxing and enjoying us. Now I have even more stress because my de-stressor honeymoon that I have been looking forward, to that has gotten me through stressful days of planning is no more. I know that I sound like a spoiled, sniveling little child but this is both our second marriages and the first time there was no honeymoon for either of us. I was hoping to start this marriage out with some quality time together somewhere nice but it just doesn't look like it will happen. So disappointed.     

Re: Honeymoon plans foiled

• edited May 2013

I hope you have insurance that is cancel for any reason! If you cancel without it, the fees may be just as much as the honeymoon (hotels sometimes charge significant fees close to the departure date.) You can also consider shortening your trip. 10 days is a pretty long HM and maybe the hotel will waive some fees if you stay booked, but for 3-4 nights instead of 10.

• I'm sorry! 

Hey, look at it this way. Save some money, then take an ever more amazing honeymoon in a few months! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jells has a great idea. Maybe call the hotel to find out about shortening your trip? Also, won't you lose your flight costs? It seems like it could cost you more to cancel.  I'm sorry that you're going through this.
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I agree about the fees and the lost of costs with flight. Was your trip paid for already?  So this job he lost would pay for meals? Shopping? What?  Because if that's the case...while this isn't the BEST idea in the world, open up your gifts after the wedding and use the cash received.  I think it's a better idea than losing money on your honeymoon.  I don't think cancelling is the right move here.  Another option might be moving the trip back a month or so.  A good number of people don't go on their honeymoon the week after their wedding.  I'm waiting almost a month.
  • I would normally never advise using a credit card to pay for wedding costs but in this case this may be the best bet.  You can use the cash you receive at your wedding to pay it off the next day.  I wouldn't cancel the HM because it honestly isn't going to save any money after all of the cancellation fees.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • what about post-poning it to a later date?

What are the cancellation policies of the airline and resort? it make make better financial sense to rebook than cancel.

• Thanks for all of the great suggestions and support! Yes, all paid for - all inclusive. According to the confirmation I got I can cancel up to the day of without incurring any fees but I have not called to find out for sure. I know how "fine print" can be misunderstood. Anyway, we are going to take a few days and really think it over. We do not want to make any rash decisions and end up paying more in the end (like you said). I am praying for a miracle here! :) I know it will all work out. 4 weeks to go and I am so frazzled I don't know which end is up anymore! LOL!    
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    vo0206501 said:
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions and support! Yes, all paid for - all inclusive. According to the confirmation I got I can cancel up to the day of without incurring any fees but I have not called to find out for sure. I know how "fine print" can be misunderstood. Anyway, we are going to take a few days and really think it over. We do not want to make any rash decisions and end up paying more in the end (like you said). I am praying for a miracle here! :) I know it will all work out. 4 weeks to go and I am so frazzled I don't know which end is up anymore! LOL!    
    Here's an out of the box thought. Look through your jewelery box and sell any broken jewelery, mismatched pieces and sell stuff you don't wear.  6 months before my wedding I sold all my stuff from my exes and got $2300 for stuff that I thought was junk.

• Love the idea HobokenBride2012!!! I will look through my things and see what I can find!! :D
  • vo0206501 said:
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions and support! Yes, all paid for - all inclusive. According to the confirmation I got I can cancel up to the day of without incurring any fees but I have not called to find out for sure. I know how "fine print" can be misunderstood. Anyway, we are going to take a few days and really think it over. We do not want to make any rash decisions and end up paying more in the end (like you said). I am praying for a miracle here! :) I know it will all work out. 4 weeks to go and I am so frazzled I don't know which end is up anymore! LOL!    
    Here's an out of the box thought. Look through your jewelery box and sell any broken jewelery, mismatched pieces and sell stuff you don't wear.  6 months before my wedding I sold all my stuff from my exes and got $2300 for stuff that I thought was junk.
    I did this and I received a nice chunk of change as well.  It's def worth looking into to help with the honeymoon costs.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's a great idea, Hoboken. 
  • LMc0322 said:
    That's a great idea, Hoboken. 
    Worked great for us.  We were a little short on our next venue payment and my aunt mentioned that she had done it. I brought in a few items thinking I would be happy with $800.  The only thing I thought was worth anything was a bracelet my ex gave me, everything else was individual earrings that I lost the mate to or a couple of broken bracelets and necklaces I never got fixed.  I almost fell on the floor when they gave me $2300.   I would recommend going to a few jewelers for different price quotes before deciding on one.

• Well, I am happy to say that the honeymoon was NOT cancelled and we are still on!! I am still biting my nails about the final payment for the reception and a few misc other things but it looks like we are going to be ok!!! HOWEVER, just to be safe I did find a few items to sell so I will be looking into that soon!! I am the queen of having a backup plan for my backup plan but I am confident that everything will work out. I so appreciate having a place to vent and clear my head. Thanks again for all of the support. 19 more days!!!!!! :)
  • Glad to hear it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards