Chit Chat
Options

Guest list question! Please help :)

Hello everyone! I would really appreciate some advice with my guest list. Is it appropriate to invite my fiance's nurse to our wedding? My fiance has cancer and for the past 4 years he has been seeing his current doctor and nurse. They are both wonderful people, his nurse, especially. She plays such an important role in our lives and does so much for the both of us! She's got such a big heart and I feel like she really understands what our life is like better then most people. I really want to invite her to the wedding so we can share something positive and happy with her but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate since our relationship with her is more professional. The other downside is that she lives two hours away from our home town where we are getting married so I am almost positive that she wouldn't be able to make it but I would still like to include her. I don't want her to feel obligated to come or feel bad if she doesn't want to make the drive but I do want her to know that she's important to us and would love to share our special day with her.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Re: Guest list question! Please help :)

• Options
    of course you can.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'd invite her. She has been a very important person in your life and you've developed a relationship. I'd rather give her the choice to decide not to come than to make it for her.
  • Options
    The bottom line is, she is an important part of your lives. It's not like she's someone you work with that you kind of like. She knows your fiance well for sure. I would include her. And who knows, she just might be able to come! We invited my fiances doctor from when he was ill as a kid because the family is so close to him.
  • Options
    I would. And just b/c she is 2 hours away doesn't mean she can't come; that's not that far. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I'd invite her.  But because of the nature of your relationship, she might not be allowed to come.  I had a doctor I wanted to invite, and I asked her about it.  She said I was allowed to invite her, but she wasn't allowed to attend.  In your situation, you'll probably be fine though.  Either way, she's important to you, so invite her.
  • Options
    Invite her. I'm also in medicine, and I cannot tell you how much it means when a patient or family reaches out and does something nice like that. Like, I've been crying like a baby after reading certain cards. Makes all the crappy parts of the job totally worth it.

If you decide not to invite her, I'd strongly encourage your FI to write a nice note thanking her for everything over the years
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I did invite her, she was going to check her calendar and if she can make it she said she will definitely come!
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    I would. And just b/c she is 2 hours away doesn't mean she can't come; that's not that far. 
    This.  I drove 2 hours to go to a friend's BBQ the other day.  I would definitely drive 2 hours to go to a wedding.  I might not stay until the very end if I was driving home and not staying overnight, but I'd be there for most of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards