Honeymoon Discussions

female couple, all inclusive resort

Hi everyone!  
Getting overwhelmed looking at wedding day stuff so decided to take a wee break and look at honeymoon stuff :P

We're a gay female couple and want to go to a fairly typical all inclusive resort for our honeymoon.  We're getting married in Vegas so figure somewhere like Mexico or Hawaii is reasonably close by and reasonably gay friendly.  I've just had a look at the top post with info of trip advisors top all inclusive resorts and they're exactly the sort of thing I'm thinking about, so can anyone who has been to a place like these let me know if they have seen other gay couples there/been there themselves as a gay couple/heard anecdotally about it not being a place gay people would feel comfortable?  We're also open to other suggestions!

We wouldn't be obviously a couple to outsiders (we wouldn't be walking around holding hands or kissing by the pool), however we don't want to feel awkward about checking in at reception to a honeymoon suite with a double bed!  I don't think we'd have any issues in Mexico or Hawaii but I'd rather make sure before booking it for one of the most special holidays of our life :)

I ask specifically about Mexico and Hawaii because I believe they are pretty accepting, whereas somewhere like Jamaica for example wouldn't be a place that was as happy to see us.  (My sister honeymooned in Jamaica though and it looked fabulous).

Thanks for any help or advice, it's much appreciated :D

Re: female couple, all inclusive resort

• If you really want all inclusive, Hawaii will not work out for you, as they do not offer an AI resorts. I think you would have a great time anywhere in the Cancun/Rivieria Maya or Cabo areas, but if you can share your budget and what types of things you are looking for, that will help with suggestions :)

• Most AI places in Mexico will be fine, but pretty much in the resort area only.  Outside the resort, you'll need to be less "out".  We went to Puerto Rico, and they do have some amazing AI resorts, and you would be fine on the resort area as well, but Puerto Rico as a whole isn't super tolerant. We got a lot of dirty looks when out and about in the communities.

Have you considered doing an Olivia AI trip? 

• sdg2502sdg2502 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    If you really want all inclusive, Hawaii will not work out for you, as they do not offer an AI resorts. I think you would have a great time anywhere in the Cancun/Rivieria Maya or Cabo areas, but if you can share your budget and what types of things you are looking for, that will help with suggestions :)
    Thanks for that advice, that's worth remembering!  I suppose if I saw somewhere in Hawaii we really liked then I could do a cost comparison to see if it was worth going without an all inclusive option.  The appeal of all inclusive though is that we can pay it all before we go.  It does seem criminal to go to that side of America and then not visit Hawaii, but I suppose it gives us an excuse to go back :P

As for budget...ideally not more than £4000 all in, which would be $6000 USD, so $3000 USD per person? 
    cmgilpin said:

Most AI places in Mexico will be fine, but pretty much in the resort area only.  Outside the resort, you'll need to be less "out".  We went to Puerto Rico, and they do have some amazing AI resorts, and you would be fine on the resort area as well, but Puerto Rico as a whole isn't super tolerant. We got a lot of dirty looks when out and about in the communities.

I think that if we were to leave the resort for some site seeing, it would be minimal, but we would be able to blend in ok.  In resort is more where I'd be mildly concerned there may be an issue as it would be clear to staff simply from the sleeping arrangements in our room that we were a couple.  I don't expect them to be all homophobic toward us or anything, it just would be nice to not be made to feel awkward when checking in, or ordering room service!
    Olivia isn't really something I'd heard of over here in the UK but I have came across them while looking for places.  I wondered though if maybe their prices were a bit inflated and if we could book just a 'normal' honeymoon in a resort we knew we could feel comfortable, that would be preferable.  Thanks for bringing that up though, I'll have another look at their site!
  • sdg2502 said:
    If you really want all inclusive, Hawaii will not work out for you, as they do not offer an AI resorts. I think you would have a great time anywhere in the Cancun/Rivieria Maya or Cabo areas, but if you can share your budget and what types of things you are looking for, that will help with suggestions :)
    Thanks for that advice, that's worth remembering!  I suppose if I saw somewhere in Hawaii we really liked then I could do a cost comparison to see if it was worth going without an all inclusive option.  The appeal of all inclusive though is that we can pay it all before we go.  It does seem criminal to go to that side of America and then not visit Hawaii, but I suppose it gives us an excuse to go back :P

As for budget...ideally not more than £4000 all in, which would be $6000 USD, so $3000 USD per person? 
    cmgilpin said:

Most AI places in Mexico will be fine, but pretty much in the resort area only.  Outside the resort, you'll need to be less "out".  We went to Puerto Rico, and they do have some amazing AI resorts, and you would be fine on the resort area as well, but Puerto Rico as a whole isn't super tolerant. We got a lot of dirty looks when out and about in the communities.

I think that if we were to leave the resort for some site seeing, it would be minimal, but we would be able to blend in ok.  In resort is more where I'd be mildly concerned there may be an issue as it would be clear to staff simply from the sleeping arrangements in our room that we were a couple.  I don't expect them to be all homophobic toward us or anything, it just would be nice to not be made to feel awkward when checking in, or ordering room service!
    Olivia isn't really something I'd heard of over here in the UK but I have came across them while looking for places.  I wondered though if maybe their prices were a bit inflated and if we could book just a 'normal' honeymoon in a resort we knew we could feel comfortable, that would be preferable.  Thanks for bringing that up though, I'll have another look at their site!

Their prices are a bit inflated, because basically, they are buying out an entire resort. So, the resort makes money, and then Olivia makes money. But, there is something to be said about going to a Sandals or something and 100% of the other guests are also same sex couples/singles.   It does cost a bit more, but I've heard their are amazing trips. And if the resort contracted with Oliva, chances are, you won't get any dirty looks when checking in, etc. 

I don't think you'll have any issues checking in to an AI resort, for the most part.  Most of them are corporate owned, and generally, a little more tolerant.

• http://wedding.theknot.com/honeymoons/honeymoon-planning/articles/gay-friendly-honeymoons.aspx

I know this discussion came up a few months ago and there was a different article that had some great advice as well.

I am not personally a fan of Sandals because I think they are overpriced. But there are still a ton of resorts owned by corporations that are similar for a much less price. RIU, Secrets, Dreams, Excellence, etc. I would probably go with one of those companies and find the one that fits your wish list. You probably could afford to go to Hawaii as well. It all just depends on what you want to do. Mexico has a ton of things to do and see and the resorts are very affordable and gorgeous.

• sdg2502sdg2502 member
    dazyabbey said:
    http://wedding.theknot.com/honeymoons/honeymoon-planning/articles/gay-friendly-honeymoons.aspx

I know this discussion came up a few months ago and there was a different article that had some great advice as well.

I am not personally a fan of Sandals because I think they are overpriced. But there are still a ton of resorts owned by corporations that are similar for a much less price. RIU, Secrets, Dreams, Excellence, etc. I would probably go with one of those companies and find the one that fits your wish list. You probably could afford to go to Hawaii as well. It all just depends on what you want to do. Mexico has a ton of things to do and see and the resorts are very affordable and gorgeous.
    That's a fantastic article, thanks!  For some reason I hadn't even thought of searching this site for articles rather than forum posts, d'oh!  
    I would happily go to any of the places in that list, and I loved that it started with Las Vegas because that is where we're planning to get married :) (legal bit at home and ceremony in Vegas)
    I think Napa valley would be wonderful to visit, I'd have a ball honeymooning in a vineyard ;)  We considered doing a tour of the west coast but I think after a week in Vegas, then some hardcore relaxation would be lovely.  I'd love to tour Asia as well but I think we'll save trips like that for future holidays.
    I've been doing some more looking and Hawaii certainly still appeals, so for me it's between there and Mexico but I'll see what my girlfriend thinks.  We have plenty of time to make these sorts of decisions but it's hard not to get caught up in the excitement and daydreaming.  
    I think you've all reassured me a bit that we would be cool at most resorts as long as we chose wisely and did a bit of research to make sure everything would be fine, so that's great.  
  • You two will have a great time! Make sure you come back and let us know what you decided on and how it went. :-)

• cmgilpin said:

I might be wrong but I thought that PR only had maybe 2 AI resorts........

• sdg2502sdg2502 member
    Thanks, you're all so nice and helpful!
  • Yeah, PR does not have AI resorts as it's a US territory.  I really enjoyed our trip to Cancun.  We stayed at the Sun Palace.  I don't remember seeing any gay couples, but I really wasn't looking either.  I really don't think you should have an issue.    
  • Yeah, PR does not have AI resorts as it's a US territory.  I really enjoyed our trip to Cancun.  We stayed at the Sun Palace.  I don't remember seeing any gay couples, but I really wasn't looking either.  I really don't think you should have an issue.    
    Hmmm. when I was planning our trip there, I thought for sure I ran across a few AI spots.
  • MKM2014MKM2014 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    My fiancé and I got engaged at Catalonia Royal Tulum in Mexico just a few weeks ago! We saw a half dozen or so gay couples there and met a lesbian couple from our area that claims they vacation at that resort 3 times a year. I don't think you'd have a problem at most of the resorts. I'm pretty sure there are a few resorts that specifically cater to gay couples if you are really concerned, but I don't think you'll find any reason to limit yourself to those. Mexico is also very affordable, we went on 3 excursions and spent 8 nights there for under $4k, and that's with airfare all the way from michigan!
  • Check out the Hilton Papagayo in costa Rica it will fit well in your budget and it is welcoming to the LGBT community!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rkborkbo member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Maui has an LGBT hotel called Sunseeker. Its in Kihei, we looked at staying there 2 years ago when we went to Maui, but opted for the Aston Maui Lu next door. Sunseeker is not a big resort by any means, but looks very "comfy" and I think predominately gay. We are booking our honeymoon for Maui this year but we are staying at the Sheraton this time. 
  • Hi all, I'm one-half of a lesbian couple married just on June 1 in Massachusetts!
    We honeymooned at a Sandals in St. Lucia and had a fabulous time. I am pretty sure we were the only gay couple there, out of hundreds, which was a little unnerving at first. We had NO issues with not feeling welcomed or accepted by staff or fellow honeymooners. Please let me know if you have further questions or want to know more. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards