Registry and Gift Forum

*Grooms Gift-Your thoughts?*

Good afternoon ladies!

I've been keeping an eye out for different gift ideas for my FI for the wedding, & haven't really found something that's caught me eye yet. Although, yesterday we were browsing through the mall, and stopped at one of the jewelry stores, (because I've also been looking for bangle bracelets for my bridesmaids), and he saw this watch he really liked. It 'is' a nice watch, and has all of these crazy features, but it's not a fancy or 'keepsake' looking watch. It's a classier sporty-type watch & is mostly black, with some lime green in it, and it has a black leather band. It's priced just over $500, and at the moment is 25% off. To me, it would be more of a birthday or Christmas kind of gift, but what do you think? I want to buy him something he can keep, and maybe pass down to our future children. Does anyone think this is too casual for a grooms gift? Any ideas for anything else I could look in to? The price is not my concern, but the more casual 'sporty style' is what I'm thinking isn't formal enough. What do you ladies think? :) Any suggestions welcome! 

Xo!

*J  

Re: *Grooms Gift-Your thoughts?*

• I think if you're going to buy him a gift, it should be something he will enjoy. If you want to buy him a watch, I would buy him the one that he has shown an interest in. He can always leave his wedding ring to a future child.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

If you and your FI decide to exchange gifts, get him something he would love and use often versus a "keepsake".

You can spend whatever you like. There's no minimum or maximum, though I suggest discussing budget with your FI.

I purchased my groom a set of 9mm Sig Sauers to use for concealed carry and range shooting because that's what he loves! A personal gift is always best.

• Thanks ladies! I do agree, that at least it's a gift that I know he'll like, and get use of if I go this route. I definitely want to purchase something he'll use vs have sit on the dresser. Maybe I'll run by the mall this afternoon & get a look at it again. I didn't get a good look when we were there, and didn't want to ask too many questions later, and possibly give it away if I chose to purchase it. :P Lol. 

A couple of you mentioned budget, and it is something we've discussed. This falls into an appropriate price point for us. I know it's not a necessity, but something we've chosen to do. The wedding's well paid off, (woo-hoo), so now I'm starting to go through any last things. With the grooms gift, for me, being a big one! :) 

Thank-you ladies for all of your comments & suggestions! Hopefully I'll decide on something soon, & have one less thing on my to-do list! :)

Have a great weekend!

*J
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I find it unnecessary.  Not sure if your wedding gifts have started coming in yet, but we probably received over 150+ physical gifts - getting yet another keepsake that we exchanged between the two of us would have been one more thing added to the pile.  It's the law of diminishing returns, you know?  Don't get me wrong - it's really fun getting buried under boxes of things that other people bought for you.  But at a certain point it kind of starts to feel overwhelming, not to mention incredibly materialistic.  

For us, the rings are the things you are supposed to exchange on the wedding day.  That's the entire point of them.  Exchanging another thing in addition felt like it would have cheapened that experience for us.  I know this is a very personal thing and others can certainly disagree, but it's how both H and I felt, and it's the primary reason we chose not to exchange gifts on our wedding day.  After opening all our other presents, we felt even more confident that we made the right choice for us.

Even if budget is not a concern, I would save yourself the $1,000 and add it toward your honeymoon.  Or heck, start your marriage with a nice nest egg.  That's becoming increasingly rare these days.  But my general opinion is that you should save the "bonus" gift for your first anniversary.  By then the novelty of getting all those presents will have worn off, and it doesn't detract from the experience of exchanging the REALLY important gifts (your rings) in front of witnesses. Just my $0.02.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hoffse said:
    I find it unnecessary.  Not sure if your wedding gifts have started coming in yet, but we probably received over 150+ physical gifts - getting yet another keepsake that we exchanged between the two of us would have been one more thing added to the pile.  It's the law of diminishing returns, you know?  Don't get me wrong - it's really fun getting buried under boxes of things that other people bought for you.  But at a certain point it kind of starts to feel overwhelming, not to mention incredibly materialistic.  

For us, the rings are the things you are supposed to exchange on the wedding day.  That's the entire point of them.  Exchanging another thing in addition felt like it would have cheapened that experience for us.  I know this is a very personal thing and others can certainly disagree, but it's how both H and I felt, and it's the primary reason we chose not to exchange gifts on our wedding day.  After opening all our other presents, we felt even more confident that we made the right choice for us.

Even if budget is not a concern, I would save yourself the $1,000 and add it toward your honeymoon.  Or heck, start your marriage with a nice nest egg.  That's becoming increasingly rare these days.  But my general opinion is that you should save the "bonus" gift for your first anniversary.  By then the novelty of getting all those presents will have worn off, and it doesn't detract from the experience of exchanging the REALLY important gifts (your rings) in front of witnesses. Just my $0.02.

I completely agree with all of this.  We don't plan on exchanging anything besides our rings and probably a heartfelt note on our wedding day.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Totally hear what you're saying @hoffse and @audubonbride2013

Gotta say from my perspective, the pictures our photog captured of DH & I opening our gifts on our wedding day are something I'll always cherish. The expression on his face when seeing his gift is worth a million bucks to me.

Different strokes for different folks!

• JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    Thanks everyone! I totally get both sides of why you would, or wouldn't choose to purchase a grooms/brides gift. For us, it's something we're excited to do, but I do agree for some, it's not something you'd choose. Which is obviously understandable. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up going with the watch. I know he's going to love it, and 'formal wear' or not, it'll be something he gets good use of, and won't *only* be a keepsake. 

In response to itzMS's post--I never thought to have our photographer get a photo of our gift exchange. This is an *awesome* idea, and totally something I would love to have! Great idea! Thanks! :)

I hope you're all enjoying your weekend! Thanks again for all of your feedback! :) 

*J
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards