Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Armenian/American wedding details

I'm marrying an Armenian next year- he'll be the first person in his family to marry outside of his culture. We want to be incredibly inclusive as most of his family have only been to Armenian weddings and none of my family has been to an Armenian wedding. We have a lot of time to tweak,but here's the current game plan. I wanted to know how it sounds:

Day of tradition: In Armenian culture, the day of events start in the morning. The entire groom's family comes to the bride's family home with a band and gifts. The bride's family is all at their house with food and what not. There's a lot of dancing and celebrating. From here everyone goes to the church. We won't be doing this for our wedding. It's too logistically challenging as my family lives 70 miles away from my fiance's family.

Ceremony: this will be very American. Armenian ceremonies are typically in churches and in Armenian. Only close family goes and they can go for hours. Instead, we'll be doing an informal outdoor ceremony where everyone is invited. We will need to communicate that everyone is invited to his guests.

Cocktail hour: we will have this, it is not something commonly seen in Armenian weddings as they tend to have a long break between the ceremony and reception and far more people go to the reception than the ceremony. To tie in culture, we will likely be hiring a traditional Armenian band to play music. They will stay for probably two hours.

Introduction of the wedding party: In Armenian tradition the wedding party doesn't just come in and sit down, they start the dancing! We really want to do this with the traditional Armenian music, but one area of concern is that only one bridesmaid and groomsmen will be Armenian. So it may be uncomfortable for the others in the wedding party. We'll need to discuss it with them to see if they are open to the idea.

At this point, the receptions are very similar. We want to hire a caterer who can do a hybrid menu with Armenian and typical America fare and a DJ who will play maybe 30% Armenian music. My fiance's family will be making these cool fabric pieces with rings on them that you put on your fingers for when you dance. I think my family will have fun with those. Now, where it will be very American is that it will have a bit of a travel theme. When I shared this with my fiance he looked really confused because he's never been to a wedding with a theme before. 

I am a little concerned that my family will be weary of dancing with all the Armenian dancing going on. I was thinking about having something on the chairs that will explain that this is the marrying of two cultures and that we want everyone to have fun and try something new. 

What do you all think?

Re: Armenian/American wedding details

• I love that you are trying to blend traditions. I'm not very creative so I don't have a ton to add. I just wanted to share my blended wedding experience.  We went to a German/American wedding.  They served German beers and played German and American music.  Pretty much the German guests danced during the German songs and the American guests danced during the American songs. But they alternated around every 2 or 3 songs.  So that turned out okay because when it wasn't their song the guests had fun talking and watching the other half of the guests and refreshing their drinks.  It was actually a very very fun wedding! We traded dance moves and had fun learning about the other culture :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your wedding sounds amazing! I don't think you need to worry about the guests too much - I'm sure they'll understand that you're trying to incorporate both cultures. Your plan sounds great. 
    "Anyone can wear a white gown, but only a bride can wear a veil". ~Randy Fenoli Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello Harsik jan (Dear bride)

I'm an Armenian and I married a non-Armenian. We also had a hybrid Armenian/Canadian wedding. Have you ever been to an Armenian wedding? Its the best way to get an idea of how a wedding will be (the ceremony and reception).

There are 3 important elements that will result in a great Armenian wedding. 
    1. Food
    2. Alcohol
    3. Music

Some quick background. We had a wedding in Los Angeles where most of my family is. His family flew in from Canada, all over the US and New Zealand. We had a week of interactive festivities that are usually a part of the Armenian pre-wedding traditions. Like having a khnamakanch (The bride's family goes to the groom's house for dinner. This is a way for the two families official meet and bless the union. The bride's family bring gifts to the groom. Its soft of like the rehearsal dinner except there is no rehearsal before and there is a lot more dancing. ) 
     One quick question: Where is your fiance from? There are many Armenian wedding traditions that are region specific. I'm a hayastanci.  (From Armenia)

Where will you be having your wedding? 

Ceremony: We had the ceremony at an Armenian church but the service was half in Armenian and half in English. We walked into the church together (per Armenian traditions). The giving away of the bride is done in the home during the day ceremonies. The god-mother brings out the bride from her room and presents her to the families of the groom. The god-mother and god-father of the wedding (a married couple, usually friends of the groom or groom's family) play an important role during the day festivities. Will you be having one? 

Most people do not attend the church ceremony not because its a family only affair but more out of preference and time. The ceremony is not as important as the celebration afterwards. When referring to the wedding its mostly about the reception. So don't be offended if people don't attend even after you explicitly invite them. 

Reception: Don't worry about the party starters of the bridesmaids dancing. You will have plenty of the groom's family that will equally stand up and dance. We love to dance and we look for any reason to get up and celebrate. I would play more percentage of Armenian music than just 30%. We also like to dance to a multitude of different ethnic music. Look into having some arabic, greek, georgian, russian. A good DJ specializing in Armenian hybrid weddings can accommodate and give a good balance.  

For the food I would suggest getting an Armenian Banquet Hall because the cost of the food and location and linen is all included. Its way more cost effective. However if you will be having it at another location I would suggest getting one of those halls to cater for you. Food is extremely important for us. Especially the abundance and variety of it. I would suggest family style (at the table) instead of just a buffet line or plated dinner. It helps in getting people acquainted with each other that may be strangers. Do not have a specific amount of time for dinner but have it be ongoing. With family style people can eat at their own pace. We Armenians are used to eating a little bit, getting up and dancing, then going back to eat some more, then dancing some more and so on for the rest of the night.   Also we usually have bottles of alcohol on the tables instead of an open bar or paid bar. We have one wine bottle, one bottle of vodka and one bottle of brandy for each table. Lots of places will allow you to bring in your alcohol. Budget two bottles of each for each table that you have (10 person table). The place will serve one bottle at a time so they will replenish any empty bottles (opening a new one).  Don't cut the cake until the very end of the night (usually after midnight). We do not throw the flowers or cut the cake until the very end. Its sort of like a signal that the celebration is over and that its time to eat the cake, drink the coffee and go home. Oh and there is no set end time. People will stay and celebrate late into the night. (if its on a Friday or Saturday) Its a genuine celebration not only of joining of two people but the joining of two families. 

Let me know if you need any advice or want to know some customs to incorporate. You will have an amazing time. Your family will enjoy it all and it will most likely be the best wedding that they will ever attend. You will have a big fat Armenian/American wedding! 

• SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Merci!

My fiance is parskahye and yes, I have been to an Armenian wedding before and will be going to another one this summer. I wasn't planning on doing any of the pre-wedding events, but I love the idea of a khnamakanch, I think that is something everyone would enjoy. Is it usually just the close family who goes? 

For the venue- I did consider a banquet hall but they were all to formal for the feeling I wanted. In the end, we decided on Union Station which holds a lot of meaning for us, and allows for outside catering and alcohol. We will be BYOB and I'm not sure yet if I want to just do bottles on the table or a host bar. Maybe a bit of both. 

I also want to communicate to all of his extended family that they are more than welcome to attend the ceremony. My fiance doesn't want an Armenian style ceremony, and I don't want it to be unbalanced with a ton of my family at the ceremony and not many people from his side. 

One thing that I'm rather upset about is the number of people his family is inviting. I know that Armenian weddings tend to be quite large and that neither of us want a wedding with 400 people there. However, he and his mom have taken it to the other extreme only inviting 40 family members. I've been to his house before at Thanksgiving and there have been more than 40 people. When I push him on it and ask why he's not inviting more of his family, especially some of the people who live in LA, he says that they wouldn't understand so he doesn't want them there. He doesn't means that they won't accept me, but instead is worried that they will be uncomfortable at a more American wedding. I don't want my family to outnumber his 2:1 and I feel that he isn't giving his family enough credit. Most of them have welcomed me with open arms and I feel they would be open minded about the wedding as well.

• Union station sounds so exciting! I LOVE it there! Its a beautiful place and your photos will look incredible! Armenians are slowly getting wise to how lovely of a place it is. 

A friend of mine that is also Parskahye just married a lovely American girl. They had a traditional armenian wedding and it was lovely! Her family loved it. 

The Khnamakanch is usually just close family (by armenian standards) Parents, siblings, Aunts/Uncles and their kids aka cousins, grandparents, Godparents (Kavor & Kavorkin) and any extra close friends (aka bridesmaids, groomsmen). Its very similar to the rehearsal night dinner. 

Bottles on tables is good in that its cost effective. You can spend the money you'd spend on the bar to get more alcohol or better brands. But having a host bar is nice too. Armenians dont really order fancy mixed drinks much or any sort of mixed drinks. Its usually just straight shots for toasts. 

As far as inviting people from his side...it may be that he is trying to shield you from any criticism that he thinks there might be because its not an ultra traditional wedding. However if you ask him "lets invite" specific people that you know or I'd say give them a save the date and/or invite the next time you see them. Armenians don't really do the whole mailing the invites. We rather give the invites personally to the people. It seems more genuine and the recipients feel more included. For my Armenian family/friends all of the invites were hand delivered. It kind of helped that almost everyone was within 15min driving distance. Oh and be prepared with making phone calls for RSVPs. We are also mail challenged in sending back RSVPs.  If your FI is not budging, talk to his mom. Traditionally its the groom's family that plans and pays for the wedding. (The Bride's family has the engagement party.) Talk to your FMIL about who you'd like to invite from their side. Giving specific names, or people that have seen her son grow up, friends of the family that you know. Those would be people that would genuinely be happy for the both of you. 

I know armenian weddings can get out of hand...i've been to a few 400 people weddings. We had the rule of that if we did not know the people, or if we had not met them more than a handful of times then we wouldn't invite. We had a modest 165 person wedding. This is small compared to Armenian weddings but it was the right amount of people for us. We knew everyone there personally and it didn't feel like a big wedding. I think anything under 200 is big enough for a nice celebration but small enough to be manageable. 

For the summer wedding that you're going to attend, are you/your FI close enough to attend the pre-wedding day of festivities? Its the best way to see how things go down. Maybe you and your FMIL can attend if your FI doesn't want to attend. Sometimes its mostly women activities. Like getting the bride dressed, then presenting of the bride, then putting on her veil, and then putting her shoes on. Someone usually steals one of the shoes then the Kavorkin pays a bribe to get it back. When the bride and groom are ready to leave the house a male member of the bride's family will block the door with a sword (or a big knife). The Kavor pays the guy a bribe to let the couple pass. Its a lot of fun and its ment to symbolize all the "what can go wrong" moments. As if to fool the naysayers or "evil spirits." 

Let me know if you'd like to know more traditions/customs. 
  • SBminiSBmini member
    We unfortunately are not close enough to attend the pre-wedding day festivities. We're friends with the groom, but love the bride. I was, however, thinking about asking if my mom could attend part of the reception so she could get a better idea of what an Armenian reception looks like. She keeps trying to push me down the traditional American route because it is what she knows. 

I'm her first child to get married, but the 13th cousin to get married. While she hasn't said it, I know its really important to her that my wedding be towards the top on the experience scale for the family. This is the first big intercultural wedding my family has had. For some reason, my other cousins who married outside of our ethnic group did so with small weddings. I think it's going to be a lot of fun, but because it's the first big intercultural wedding we've had she's worried because it is different.

I spoke to my fiance again last night about the list. He's already invited all of the people I've met. Even though we've been dating for a long time, I've only been to one event with his extended family. I do think he's trying to shield me from criticism, and I also think that he's a little uncomfortable inviting family members who don't speak English. I pushed him to look at the list again and I hope he does add some people. I should just give a stack of invitations to my FMIL and have her hand them out to people she'd like there? After my FSIL's wedding with 400 people, she very much supports our desire for a smaller wedding, and I do trust that she wouldn't go overboard inviting people.

As we start to select other vendors, we'll begin to figure out the balance of traditional American and traditional Armenian aspects. For example, a lot of people on my side would prefer cocktails to shots of black label, while his family would prefer bottle service. Maybe the solution is to have bottles on the table and a bar tender, maybe the solution is to just have one or the other. But we have a lot of time to work those things out. And I'm sure the balance we reach will be fun for everyone.
  • You have loads of time to decide on the alcohol. I've seen weddings that had bottle service at the tables but had a bar for specialty drinks. I think the specialty drinks were extra (pay bar). 

Your mom should watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding! haha! That really helped my in laws to try to get some sort of understanding of the big celebratory wedding. It actually made them excited and more open to what my wedding would be like.  

I would be careful in asking your mom to attend the reception because its not the same scheduled style as American weddings. She would have to attend the whole reception. I don't think that this would be a problem for the Bride/Groom but your mom may not want to stay for the whole night. But this will give her a better understanding of our customs. 

• SBminiSBmini member
    ^ I like that balance. My mom has actually said that she wants it to be like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards