Chit Chat

Forum Entitlement

edited May 2013 in Chit Chat
I'm curious... A few of you, who I think are mostly chill, I have seen ranting at the Knot Gods as if you are paying customers and deserve your product a special way.  Help me understand where this sense of entitlement comes from on a free public forum.  I understand that many feel that this is "home", but that gives you no rights to the forums, nor do the Knot Gods have to answer to any of you.  

I admire most of you for your insight, advice, and even love the straight-forwardness, even when it seems abrasive.  But, pick and choose your battles.  I don't think you can force the changes that you want by "yelling" and cursing in all caps, nor accusations of "lies".  And while I can understand being passionate about something that you love, it mostly comes off as pompous and bratty, like some of you are pitching fits because you're not getting the toy that you wanted.

I'm opening a can of worms here, but I have thick skin.   I know that I'm "new", but I have been lurking for a little while and I'm just calling it like I see it.

Re: Forum Entitlement

• LiLe422 said:
    I'm curious... A few of you, who I think are mostly chill, I have seen ranting at the Knot Gods as if you are paying customers and deserve your product a special way.  Help me understand where this sense of entitlement comes from on a free public forum.  I understand that many feel that this is "home", but that gives you no rights to the forums, nor do the Knot Gods have to answer to any of you.  

I admire most of you for your insight, advice, and even love the straight-forwardness, even when it seems abrasive.  But, pick and choose your battles.  I don't think you can force the changes that you want by "yelling" and cursing in all caps, nor accusations of "lies".  And while I can understand being passionate about something that you love, it mostly comes off as pompous and bratty, like some of you are pitching fits because you're not getting the toy that you wanted.

I'm opening a can of worms here, but I have thick skin.   I know that I'm "new", but I have been lurking for a little while and I'm just calling it like I see it.
    I really dont get these types of posts.  I mean, you start it off with "a few of you"...you know exactly who your talking about.  Shit, the rest of us know exactly who your talking about.  So why don't you save yourself the bullshit passive aggressive approach and say Linger, whothefuck are you to yell at a KGs?  Misshart, whothefuck are you to accuse KGs of lying?  OP, see how easy that was?  Your post was obvs intended to stir shit -- so do it the right way and own it, mmmmkay?  Your approach is why TK has gone to hell in a handbag.

Disclaimer:  Linger and Misshart, The namedropping in the questions above were intended to show OP (and anyone else, for that matter)  if she wants to call someone out, skip the bullshit and CALL THEM OUT. 

Hell in a handbag, eh?  My approach was with the intent to be a little more polite, knowing that everyone here knew who I was speaking to.  I find it ironic that you felt the need to add a disclaimer in order to make sure your "ass was covered", however.  Bravo!  
  • LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013

LiLe422 said:

I really dont get these types of posts.  I mean, you start it off with "a few of you"...you know exactly who your talking about.  Shit, the rest of us know exactly who your talking about.  So why don't you save yourself the bullshit passive aggressive approach and say Linger, whothefuck are you to yell at a KGs?  Misshart, whothefuck are you to accuse KGs of lying?  OP, see how easy that was?  Your post was obvs intended to stir shit -- so do it the right way and own it, mmmmkay?  Your approach is why TK has gone to hell in a handbag.

Disclaimer:  Linger and Misshart, The namedropping in the questions above were intended to show OP (and anyone else, for that matter)  if she wants to call someone out, skip the bullshit and CALL THEM OUT. 

Hell in a handbag, eh?  My approach was with the intent to be a little more polite, knowing that everyone here knew who I was speaking to.  I find it ironic that you felt the need to add a disclaimer in order to make sure your "ass was covered", however.  Bravo!  
    Yes, hell in a handbag.  Your "polite" attitude is why KGs are making the fun stuff ::poof be gone:: or "anonymous."

Sorry but no.  Passive agressive =/= polite.

And who exactly was I covering my ass from?  I added the disclaimer because those were not MY questions.  I was simply showing that if you wanted to start drama -- why pussy foot around it?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Users may not be buying a membrship but they are helping fund the site thru advertising. A year ago users on The Nest got upset at changes and TN's response and left and started a new forum on pro boards. I'm surprised at the apparent lack of cross talk And learning among staff. This place may never get as dead as TN, but I could easily see fewer users and visits, which impact revenue.
    No one is required to use this site. Unless TK wants it to lose users it needs to be responsible and give s product people will use.

• And there's also the part where really, you can't tell people how or what to post.
    Oh, do tell!  I asked where the sense of entitlement came from and suggested "I don't think you can force the changes that you want by "yelling" and cursing in all caps, nor accusations of "lies"."  Didn't tell them how to post, dear.  Merely stated an opinion.

However, someone was very quick to tell me how I should be posting.  Haha, it's all good.  If your panties aren't in a bunch once in a while, then you have no passion!

• And there's also the part where really, you can't tell people how or what to post.

Oh, do tell!  I asked where the sense of entitlement came from and suggested "I don't think you can force the changes that you want by "yelling" and cursing in all caps, nor accusations of "lies"."  Didn't tell them how to post, dear.  Merely stated an opinion.

However, someone was very quick to tell me how I should be posting.  Haha, it's all good.  If your panties aren't in a bunch once in a while, then you have no passion!

I have no idea who you are, but I don't have my panties in a bunch, dear.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @StageManager14  Silly? Or tactful?  I think that the focus here is grossly misdirected, but what do I know?  How I address people doesn't take away from the subject matter of my original post.  But, let's focus on the part that really doesn't matter, shall we?

I have no idea who you are, but I don't have my panties in a bunch, dear.
    You took the one generalized statement in a post, and you made it directed at you.  Do you feel special, yet?  
  • Wow, you're a real winner, happy panda.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Lol you're going to get along really well here. And by really well, I mean not at all.

You're the kind of newb who makes people hate newbs. Do you feel special yet?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• And as for the subject matter of your original post, you are not to my knowledge, a paying customer to myself or anyone else your post applies to, so I am unsure why you feel entitled to an answer from us on it.
    Mmmm, I see what ya did there!  Actually, I was trying to redirect discussion towards the subject matter, not necessarily feeling entitled to an "answer" per se.  But, I see how the game is played.  The subject doesn't matter.  What matters is, if you're willing to ruffle feathers, do it with a little style.  What matters is, how I address people, whether I call it polite, or tact, it's apparent that I was doing it wrong. 

• MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013

While I understand your statement, unfortunately your approach is ineffective.  As you can see, your thread has become about your approach, which makes it hard to argue the matter respectfully.

TK has asked us for our feedback and has communicated the desire to support us, so we have vocalized many valid issues. Regardless of my feelings on the approach by other users to get TG attention and apply pressure to issues, TGs know the nature of their users and could’ve easily stifled everyone with some communication –even if it was to say they need more time as they did with through the TOS process. 

Instead, I believe some of the recent changes (like removal of mods) were to respond quickly to user demands because they solve issues on paper. I think with more time invested on their part, they will find they are poor solutions and we will have more changes. I appreciate that TGs are open to changes and feedback though, and and are considering this a process.

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Can knot gods have alter egos?
  •  I hate when people think I'm stupid. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @allychase I get where you're coming from, but I have to disagree.  Yes, 100 or so regs is a very small fraction of TK's overall audience.  But we all know the regs are the ones keeping it interesting around here - which means with the regs go a lot of other people.  Not to mention, without the regs, TK would turn into WB, and who needs another WB?  

The point is that the more interesting discussions that are had here, the more people (I'm betting 90% or more are lurkers), will be around to watch those discussions unfold.  The Community may be a small piece of the pie for TK as a whole, but it is important for ad revenue, there is no doubt about that.  If it wasn't, the KGs would not give two shits what we want, and probably wouldn't exist at all.  Of the whoknowshowmany people TK employs, we have Jackie, Porscha, and Irene and maybe a pair of tech guys.  No one is expecting the whole of TK World to be worried about little old us, but the handful of people who are in charge of the forums?  Yeah, this is kind of their problem.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited May 2013
    I would also like to point out that TN is currently offering to PAY users if they go to their corporate office next week and give them feedback on improving the TN forums. Because apparently, after a year they seem to have realized that dead boards aren't doing them any favors.

Knot Gods take note: The users have been telling you for almost 2 solid months now what needs to be done to keep people on the site and the boards active. For free. The users are only going to put up with this crap for so much longer before "Hey, you know where we don't have to deal with this shit? ProBoards. Let's go" happens (Hell, it already did happen once with the E and SB regs).

A year from now when the boards are dead and you can't for the life of you to figure out why the traffic is still down from the inevitable defection, it's going to take a lot more than $50 to get people to head down to HQ to tell you what they hate about this place ... if there's even anybody left at that point.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• edited August 2013
    Post removed due to GBCK
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards