Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Need help with how to do a buffet menu

I will be having a December wedding in FL and will have approximately 100 guests. I am planning to have a buffet style reception and my menu is as listed. My question is do I order enough of each entree for 100 people or do I do a percentage of each entree (i.e. 70 beef/50 turkey)? I don't want to run out of food if guests take both entrees, but I don't want to have too much food either. I know that the beef will be more popular, but I know for sure at least three guests do not eat beef, and I'm making a separate veggie dinner for the vegetarians/vegans.

Salad
Mixed green salad served with dinner roll (the salad will be plated, but everything else will be buffet style)

Entree
Carved prime rib
Carved oven roasted turkey breast

Vegetable
Honey glazed carrots

Starch
Roasted red bliss potatoes

Dessert
Wedding cake

Re: Need help with how to do a buffet menu

• Usually I defer to the caterer because they have experience in this area. I believe it's best to have at least a serving per person. I love both meats you are sering and might try both. Some people will not get the turkey but might have 2 servings of beef. If you are self catering and not having a caterer I'd plan on 1 to 1 1/3 servings of each. Having left overs is no big deal. We used a caterer and had plenty of beef tenderloin and chicken left after our wedding which they packed up for us and wonderful family members took it home and we picked it up the next day. We had a delayed honeymoon and ate these delicious foods after the wedding. You could also have them frozen for later.
  • I would also say have 1+ servings per person, especially with the sides since you're offering only one each of veg and starch (not criticizing, just saying that my answer would be different if you offered 4 of each, because I wouldn't think every guest would have all four).
  • i would add in another veggie option and maybe a fish option for meats,, the meue looks good but not to many choices for sides. 
  • I second the PP of adding another side. I know a lot of people don't like carrots.
  • I know this wasn't the question but I'd add some more sides too. I would likely only be able to eat the turkey because I hate carrots and the only potatoes I like are mashed or au gratin. Could you add a pasta or another veggie? What you are offering is perfectly fine etiquette-wise, but your guests will appreciate a little variety nonetheless. That said, you should tell your caterer you're having X number of guests and it is their job to ensure that you don't run out of anything. If they're good, you won't.
  • I second the PP of adding another side. I know a lot of people don't like carrots.
    Ditto.  I like carrots, but hate honey, so honey glazed carrots would be a no go for me.  

Whenever I see buffets, I expect to see variety.  I think if you could squeeze in a couple more sides in, you'd be good.   Maybe green beans and a pasta dish?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards