Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Reception dinner

Hey ladies, so our event coordinator gave us a sample menu & I'm not 100% sure about some of it. Wanted some thoughts please! We know that we are doing BBQ as main meal. The EC also included fried chicken & then we could choose from 2-3 sides to go along with this. I am not sure we NEED 2 meat options??? I am we'll aware that not everyone will like or eat BBQ, but, I don't know that I want the fried chicken either. I know I've been to weddings where the meals were ok or we needed to stop & eat after because the food was just not that great. Just thinking if we do all BBQ, I Can prob do 2 hor duerves for cocktail hour while we are doing pics vs one, & do 3 sides with the BBQ & still stay in our budget & provide enough variety hopefully people will be somewhat satisfied with their "meal". Thoughts please!!!

Re: Reception dinner

• Options
    MNturnsVA said:
    Hey ladies, so our event coordinator gave us a sample menu & I'm not 100% sure about some of it. Wanted some thoughts please! We know that we are doing BBQ as main meal. The EC also included fried chicken & then we could choose from 2-3 sides to go along with this. I am not sure we NEED 2 meat options??? I am we'll aware that not everyone will like or eat BBQ, but, I don't know that I want the fried chicken either. I know I've been to weddings where the meals were ok or we needed to stop & eat after because the food was just not that great. Just thinking if we do all BBQ, I Can prob do 2 hor duerves for cocktail hour while we are doing pics vs one, & do 3 sides with the BBQ & still stay in our budget & provide enough variety hopefully people will be somewhat satisfied with their "meal". Thoughts please!!!
    What is the BBQ main entree?  Is it traditional BBQ (ie not smothered in BBQ sauce)?  Do you have a vegetarian entree?  What are the sides you're thinking of of?  Once I get a better idea of what you're thinking of having, I will be able to provide a better answer.
  • Options
    allispainallispain member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2013
    When you say "BBQ" are you talking ribs? Pulled pork? Brisket? There are so many things that this could be. If it's just one of those things, then I would have a second main (though I too don't like the idea of fried chicken at a wedding). However, if the "BBQ" is already including two+ kinds of meat, then I don't think you need a second main.

ETA: Forgot to second the vegetarian option above - you should have either a veg main (preferred) or really hearty sides that could constitute a good meal (ok)
  • Options
    The BBQ would be pulled pork is my guess, waiting on clarification from EC @ venue. The side options are: Mac & chz, cole slaw, green beans, baked beans, & I can't remember. We were thinking green beans, Mac & chz & baked beans. Also, I don't have that many vegetarian people on the guest list. We are having about 70 people, I'd say 30-40 are family & I know none of them are vegetarians. I do have one guest who is gluten intolerant so I'm going to get a special dish for her specifically. Thinking also of doing ham biscuits at meal time. I'm not crazy about the BBQ either but being my fiancé is a southern boy, it's kind of fitting. Also, it's cheap. Not to be tacky but we are on small budget & it's better than burgers & dogs IMO. Our other budget friendly option was a pasta bar & my fiancé didn't like that at all.
  • Options
    Mmm mac and cheese. I would be totally happy with that, green beans, and baked beans, and I'm not a vegetarian myself.

Also, I don't think it's tacky at all to have BBQ for your wedding, so don't feel bad or put your idea down.
  • Options
    MNturnsVA said:
    The BBQ would be pulled pork is my guess, waiting on clarification from EC @ venue. The side options are: Mac & chz, cole slaw, green beans, baked beans, & I can't remember. We were thinking green beans, Mac & chz & baked beans. Also, I don't have that many vegetarian people on the guest list. We are having about 70 people, I'd say 30-40 are family & I know none of them are vegetarians. I do have one guest who is gluten intolerant so I'm going to get a special dish for her specifically. Thinking also of doing ham biscuits at meal time. I'm not crazy about the BBQ either but being my fiancé is a southern boy, it's kind of fitting. Also, it's cheap. Not to be tacky but we are on small budget & it's better than burgers & dogs IMO. Our other budget friendly option was a pasta bar & my fiancé didn't like that at all.
    It sounds delicious and I'd eat it!  I do know some people that aren't crazy about pork though.  Could you have a grilled chicken option instead of the fried chicken?
  • Options
    maybe do the grilled chicken i hate fried foods but will splurge on them once in a while. you should have a cheese cracker table and some passed appz during cocktail hour
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards