Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Road trip honeymoon

We decided we want to do a road trip honeymoon instead of the typical honeymoon. We love the outdoors and riding in the car but we can't decide on a place to go. What are some nice places to see, in the United states or Canada, around the middle to end of May? Any ideas are helpful. Thank you!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Road trip honeymoon

• Options
    We decided we want to do a road trip honeymoon instead of the typical honeymoon. We love the outdoors and riding in the car but we can't decide on a place to go. What are some nice places to see, in the United states or Canada, around the middle to end of May? Any ideas are helpful. Thank you!
    Are you looking to start from your home state or fly somewhere first?  If starting from home, please let us know your state.
  • Options

You don't say where you are starting from, or if a flight is involved. That information would help

We had a 2 week "Roadtrip" down the California coast in September 2011. We flew to San Fran, stayed there 4 nights then picked up a convertible I reserved and drove down the Pacific Coast Hwy all the way to San Diego and flew home from there. If you are including flights and driving in between, a 3 city trip (starting from home, flying to on location, driving somewhere, then flying home from a different location) is not always more expensive that a simple roundtrip. I think it was $20 more than a roundtrip airfare for us.

We stayed in most places between 1-2 nights. I planned the entire trip with google maps and www.tripadvisor.com . I looked at interesting stops along the way, then found the best reasonably priced hotels and restaurants in each area. We took along our laptop for any last minute changes.

We happen to like road trips, and my husband had never seen the California coast. Where you go and what you do depends on your interests. If you like history, a road trip on the east coast from Washington DC up to Boston would allow for stops at historic places along the way. If you like mountains and scenery, then cities near the Rockies would be best.

In May you can have pretty nice weather just about anywhere. But you can also have tornadoes and snow, as seen this year. I'd stick to the coasts for ocean scenery, and California can be warm in May, it's warmer the farther south you go.

Good luck.

• Options
    Sorry. I'm from Michigan. Didn't even think to add that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you are from the "UP" of MI, then I'd say head over to the Canadian Rockies. If you're from the main part of MI then I'd say do a loop of Eastern Canada into Maine, down the coast a little, then head back West. You could do the reverse of that as well.
    Vacation
  • Options

Carilynn, I'm from Michigan too. We flew out of Detroit on the trip I posted above. You don't mention your budget or amount of time you have, but if I were taking a road trip in May, with no flights, I'd probably drive east to Washington DC, which is still nice in May to see all the free museums over a 3-4 day span. The drive is between 8 & 10 hrs depending on the route you take. My son lives in DC and we've done the drive a few times. If you like history, this is a great trip. All of the museums are free, and the city is made for walking around to see everything.  

If you have longer, the beaches in Virginia could be added on for a day or two, not super hot like the summer, but probably warm enough to enjoy.

Another road trip could be the east coast. From Detroit through Canada to Niagara Falls/Buffalo, then the NY turnpike and Massachusetts turnpike is 13 hrs to get to Boston. That's another drive I've done, LOL. You'll need passports or an enhanced driver's license to travel through the borders. Most of the drive on the 401 through Canada is boring. 

If you don't have a long time, you could take the 401 to Niagara Falls, then go up to Toronto for a few days.

Good luck. I've planned almost all our trips with www.tripadvisor.com.

• Options
    kmd0501kmd0501 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    FH and I were originally thinking road trip to Tennessee from where we live in Philadelphia.  We wanted to do Memphis, Lynchburg and Nashville.  Ultimately we decided we didn't want to spend our honeymoon driving most the time and it wouldn't be as cost efficient as we previously thought although its a dream trip we have one day.  We are really into country music and Food Network and basically wanted to drive to nowhere and find small town diners and back roads places and do our own thing.  But I will just be finishing school in August (our wedding is September) and FH has been working 4 jobs to make up what I can't make while in school and so we both decided we deserve to be pampered in the islands at an all inclusive instead of driving on dirt roads.  lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds like so much fun!!

I'm not sure what area you're looking at so it's hard for me to really give you ideas. Also, I'm not sure if you're a nature lover, like I am, or want to see the big cities. 

If it were *me* though I know I would love to see Niagra Falls, the Grand Canyon, and Big Sur, California to name a few. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards