Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Starting Venue Shopping

So my partner and I are coming up to PGH this weekend to look at venues.  As I had mentioned previously, we were looking for an affordable venue (around $1,000), for around 100-150 guests, where we could bring in our own caterer.

Currently we are scheduled to view the Union Project, Pittsburgh Opera House (both me and FI are really loving this place from the website), and the New Hazlett Theater.  We are also going to see some of the outdoor parks that are good wedding locations, such as Highland Park, and Hartwood Acres. 

Anyone have anywhere else to add that might be good for me to check into while in town?

Christine
PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image

Re: Starting Venue Shopping

• Options
    Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @arf - not to hijack this thread, but what replacement photog did you end up going with?
  • Options
    arf3420arf3420 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the Opera House!  We're having our weddng there in June :-)   Highland Park is also really pretty... We had our e-pics there... although our photographer sucked and never gave them to us (but that's another story!).  Pittsburgh weather is so terrible though, that's why we were afraid to go with an outdoor venue.  New Hazlett was pretty cool too, but more expensive than the Opera House and their layout was smaller and kind of strange.  I looked at Hartwood too.  We were looking for about 150 guests, and I think their space was too small for that.  Can't really remember for sure though.  And I think the wedding had to be over by 6 or 7pm because the park closes, but it would work if you want an afternoon reception.  Good luck with your planning :-)
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, with Hartwood, you have to bring in every.thing. Literally, everything. Tables, chairs, linens, etc. I think Hartwood's price is pretty cheap, but it can get expensive when you add all of the rentals in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Aviary is in the $1500 range but includes tables, chairs, et cetera (as long as you don't want super fancy ones) and they allow four different caterers. You can bring in your own booze too which saves money. 
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Options
    arf3420arf3420 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lol... it's hijacked.  We decided on Stephanie Strasburg.  I just met with her last week, and she seems wonderful!  Now I just hope she doesn't disappear like our other one... Or hold our pictures hostage.  haha.  Still no word from that girl... I'm so sad that I'll never get our e-pics.  I even already bought a bunch of really pretty frames to sit a few pictures on our guestbook table.  She just makes me so angry because I even asked if she could just email the pics to me without editing them or anything, so it would literally take her one minute to do it.  Soooo frustrating!!!  But at least Stephanie seems like she can be trusted :-) 
  • Options
    Does anyone know what time you have to be out of the Opera House by if you're holding your reception there?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_starting-venue-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:842d61a3-9cbf-4b5f-a7a6-9a1dc2cb4628Post:58ef9e94-3721-41dd-96f5-e5b0ef0effda">Re: Starting Venue Shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone know what time you have to be out of the Opera House by if you're holding your reception there?
    Posted by kirstberger[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure they told us when we saw it but I don't remember.  I don't remember it being rediculously early, maybe 10 or 11ish?
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards