• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
April 2013 Weddings

David's Bridal Question

Hey ladies,

I'm a BM in November and I need to get fitted for my bridesmaid dress at David's Bridal.  I was an Alfred Angelo bride so I'm not sure if I need an appointment just to figure out what size I am or if I can just walk in?  Last time I went to DB it seemed like a free for all but I'm not sure how it would be for a wedding that's actually registered there.  Also, do I make an appointment with alterations or just with the general staff?  

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: David's Bridal Question

• ChiGirl2013ChiGirl2013 member
    500 Comments 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited May 2013
    When we were shopping for a BM dress, we just walked in.  Then again, it probably helped that we went on a weekday morning and the place was a ghost town.  If you plan on going on a weekend, I'd definitely try to make an appointment.

As for alterations, we didn't use them because they were ridiculously overpriced.  I found a local seamstress who charged us $40 for the alterations my sister needed, and David's wanted $125.  I'd definitely shop around for alterations if you can.  You don't HAVE to use them for your alterations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • We just walked in for my BMs dresses. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    If you're just going in for sizing you don't need an appointment. BUT be warned... every.single.dress. I ordered from there was very tight. The sizes you try on are not the same as what you'd purchase. I found DB to be the worst with this because their dresses get a lot of traffic. The wedding I was in in October, the lady helping me had me in a size 4. Dude, I am not a size 4 lol she tried to get me to order it because the 6 was "too big" on me. I ended up getting an 8 because I'd rather take it in then have to get a new dress!
  • Yikes, good thing I asked!  I have an appt for Thursday at 2.  Do you know if their sizing guides are correct?  Let me clarify, do they actually take your measurements and figure out which size you should try on or do they just ask you what your street size is and keep putting you in various sizes until you find one that works?  I think I was a 6 or an 8 at Alfred Angelo in their BM dresses and most non-bridal shop dresses but I was a 4 in my corset back dress only b/c it was adjustable.  I was terrified it wasn't going to fit but in all honesty, I probably could have gone with a 2, just because of the way my body is and the way the dress is cut(small chest, a-line dress with a plunging neckline).  Sizing is so hard/stupid.

Follow Me on Pinterest

• vk2204vk2204 member

I think it depends on who you are working with to be honest. When we first went in our consultant was a girl we went to HS with and she took our measurments. We were only trying on random dresses for the bride to pick one. When I went in to actually order the dress, she didn't take my measurments and just grabbed dresses for me to try on. they had me in a size 4! It was still loose on the top (I am a part of the IBTC lol) but I have wider hips. She had me try on a 6 and that fit better in the hips but way too big in the bust. She put me down for a size 4; I made her change it to a size 8. AA was so much easier to work with. They actually took your measurments first and then got you a similar dress in your size to try on.

Insist that they measure you and order based off of your largest size. I just have had a few bad experiences with them so I don't trust them lol. When you try on dresses get the next size up that fits you best!

edited May 2013
    We didn't have that experience AT ALL.  The size my sister tried on was the size she ordered and it fit exactly the same way it fit in the store.  Maybe there's a difference between their bridal gowns and their BM gowns.  The BM gowns, from our experience, did not have the problem that vk described with her bridal gown.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    @chigirl2013 - the issue I had were with bridesmaids dresses. I didn't order a bridal gown through them.
    edited May 2013
    I don't know.  Maybe it was the material, or maybe the cut of the dress.  This is the one my sister chose and it was true to size when she picked it up.  http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Crinkle-Chiffon-High-Low-Halter-Dress-F15417_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Shop-By-Color

It was a satin sheath underneath and a chiffon overlay on top.  I don't think satin stretches all that much but if another dress is made of a material that does stretch, I can see how it can feel larger in the store after being tried on by so many different people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, I went, I dressed, I conquered (I hope).

I told her that I'm typically a street size 6, she grabbed a 6, it was a little loose all over so I remembered what y'all said about the dresses stretching out and before I could even say anything, she mentioned that it'll be snugger when it comes in.  She then pinched it back to give me an idea of how a new dress would fit.  I'm going with the 6 and I'll get it in around the end of July, which gives me plenty of time for alterations, if necessary, or to drop the love handles if it's too snug ;-)  Thanks for your help, everyone!

Oh…I also looked at the online size charts and the 6 was closest to my mmts without being too small.  :-)

Follow Me on Pinterest

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards