Plus-Sized

Rain on my wedding dress parade...

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker... first time poster, on this board anyway! :)  So I've started the dress hunt... and there was one dress at David's Bridal that I've been stalking online for the last year or so (I'll admit to looking at dresses online before I got the ring...).  They just opened a David's Bridal in my hometown, so I was excited to say the least!  Anyway, we've set the date for next year, and I was worried that the dress will be discontinued given that it's been on their site for a fairly long time, so we went to try it on even though I still have 480 days to go, but who's counting?

Anyway... I made the mistake of bringing way too many people with big opinions with me, including my mom, aunt, cousin, future mother-in-law, and future sis-in-law.  I tried on "the" dress first, and instead of getting the wow reaction, they ripped it apart... I'll admit that it wasn't perfect, but with alterations, I think it could be. We tried on 8-10 dresses, but I just felt like "me" in the first dress.  Other than that, I didn't feel like I got a chance to really look at myself in the dresses.

I decided to go back today, just me, to try the dresses on again. We tried on the favorites, and I really like the first one.  I love the way I feel in it, and it feels like a me dress.  I called my mom when I got home, and she was less excited...  She's worried that I'm settling... and wants me to go to a few more salons, and try on more dresses.  I'm a size 18-ish, and unfortunately there aren't a ton of stores in Calgary that carry plus size samples. So I'm worried that going to other salons will mean a sad/body image issues filled/depressing trip.

Sorry for the novel, just needed to vent... Ugh...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rain on my wedding dress parade...

• i have looked up some bridal salons in your area or in that general area as i am in the states not sure how far these places are from you but they have plus its always good to go to a few places you could also look up different designers websites and find out what you like and who carries them in your area also if one place has gowns from a designer you love dont be afraid to ask them to get it on loan from you a good salon can get a gown in your size or close to it on loan from the designer 
    Hilltop Bridal in Barrie has plus
    Windsor Bridal on Orfus Road in Toronto
    Vals Bridal in Oshawa 
    Ever After Bridal calgerly  on 16th Ave 

• I'm sorry that you experienced this!!!  I took my three bridesmaids with me.  My first stop was DB and as I'm a 24/26 the selection in that size was minimal in the store.  I stuffed myself into about 8 dresses and one of my girls was EXTREMELY critical the entire time!!!!  I didn't say anything but was pretty distressed about how negative she was about each dress.  

The following weekend I had an appointment at a plus size only wedding store here in my town.  I was really excited to try on dresses and kept an open mind.  The three girls picked out like 15 dresses!!!  It was crazy.  The third dress I tried on was "The One".  I got misty eyed when I put it on.  Now it wasn't what I had envisioned, I didn't want a pickup skirt, but this dress had one and I just felt amazing in it!  When the sales lady pulled back the curtain my two friends oohhh'd and aaww'd,  my third friend just kept shaking her head no .  I knew at that moment I had to remember that this was MY wedding!!!  This was MY wedding dress!!!  I know that she was just trying to keep with my wishes of not wanting a pickup skirt but the dress felt like me.  She even asked me to walk around the salon so she get a "better look at it".  

If you feel amazing in this dress then you should have this dress!  In my opinion, you do not need to explain to anyone why you love the dress.  However, if you feel you need to give an explanation simply tell them that you feel beautiful, radiant and confident in the dress.  

I wish you all the best in your search!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Its your day, I say get the dress that makes you feel great!  You will shine because you are comfortable and confident in it.

We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • Update!!

Well... I decided to humor my mom and head out to another salon.  The dresses were a touch more pricey... and while I don't want to admit it... I will... My mom was 100% right.  We tried on 7-8 that just weren't doing anything for me, then my mom pulled THE dress.  It's really similar to the dress I loved at David's, but it's even better!  It looks amazing, it feels amazing, and it's totally me.  It's more than I would spend on a dress, but my mom wants to pay for the dress, and she loves it.

Thanks for the kind words and support ladies!  Moral of the story... sometimes mom really does know best.

Now I just need to go back... in all of the excitement, I forgot to take a picture of me in the dress!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mom really does know best sometimes...my mom pulled my dress too, and I probably never would have taken it off the rack.

I'm glad you fond your dress!! :)
  • So exciting!!!!

October 2014 September Inspiration: Colors

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards