Wedding Etiquette Forum

NER - Period on wedding day?

2»

Re: NER - Period on wedding day?

• You definitely shouldn't start the pill just to move your period. Hormones are not to be messed around with. If that is not going to be your form of birth control, do not start for just a few months. Even when I first started taking the pill, I could delay my period for a week. But I felt awful for those first few months and even after years just wasn't myself. And now I've been off it for almost two months and even though I'm feeling better, my period still hasn't returned. One day is not worth messing up your hormones and cycles.

Are you familiar with the Diva Cup, or other menstrual cups? Maybe try one out on your next period. They take a month or two to get used to, but I love mine and they can be left in for 12 hours - no worrying about changing tampons in a wedding dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • To add to Chloe--there are also menstrual cups that can be used during intercourse (I think they're the softcups?).  Other menstrual cups CANNOT, haha, so don't try it.

I don't know what you're comfortable with, but I'm just mentioning it because I know some couples use it to be able to have sex during the woman's period.

SaveSave
  • linnyv27linnyv27 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    You girls are wonderful! My doctor brought up many of the things mentioned in this post. I spoke with both my FI and doctor, and came to the conclusion that I won't go on anything.

Since I don't intend to use the pill as my form of BC, my doctor said she doesn't recommend to go on it just to shift around my schedule. Plus, it might not even work this close to the wedding. She also mentioned I won't know the side effects and the severity of them until I'm on it since everyone reacts differently. Since I've maintained a 75+ pound weight loss the last 6 years (good metabolism), have a regular period, and don't have acne problems I don't think it's worth the risk to change that just to avoid my period for one day. And I definitely don't want any emotional swings the weeks leading up to the wedding.

My FI and I have had shower sex while I'm on my period, so we don't mind that.  My main concern was acne, pains, and bloating but the doctor gave me a lot of advice and options to reduce that as much as possible.

@tinyspeck the best part about all of this is that my cycle most likely will shift! I've been so stressed that I'm now two days late - which pushes my cycle to begin on the wedding day. I'm sure I'll be stressed the next three months, so it will most likely get pushed even further.

Having my period on my wedding day doesn't seem so bad now that everyone has brought up many things that can happen while on BC. Sounds silly now that I think about it.

Edit because I can't spell.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 123 Invited
    image 96 Are ready to party
    image 27 Will be missing out
    image 0 Are undecided
  • By the way @linnyv27 your dress in your signature is absolutely gorgeous!
    Thank you. It didn't end up working out with my bust/upper body AND there was a manufacturing error, so sadly it's not my dress anymore. I ended up loving another dress and bought it - but this one is a gorgeous dress. I removed it from my sig but it still shows up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 123 Invited
    image 96 Are ready to party
    image 27 Will be missing out
    image 0 Are undecided
  • linnyv27 said:
    By the way @linnyv27 your dress in your signature is absolutely gorgeous!
    Thank you. It didn't end up working out with my bust/upper body AND there was a manufacturing error, so sadly it's not my dress anymore. I ended up loving another dress and bought it - but this one is a gorgeous dress. I removed it from my sig but it still shows up.
    Aw, sad that it didn't work out, but glad you found one you do love!

And regarding your update about talking with your doctor, that all sounds great! I'm glad you're not worrying about it now that you've discussed things, and even better that you're not going to use the pill needlessly.
  • kerbohl said:
    Actually, this thread is now making me a little worried.  I was planning to start BC a few months before my wedding because I don't want children, and we are waiting until marriage so I don't have to worry about it now.  Should I start it earlier than that if people react so drastically to the hormonal stuff?  I don't want to be an emotional wreck the two months before my wedding because my body is reacting to the pill. 
    I would definitely talk with your doctor about it. Since you say you are waiting until marriage (and therefore abstaining at times doesn't seem like it would be a problem), have you ever considered using Fertility Awareness or Natural Family Planning instead of hormonal birth control? I was on the pill for about four years but stopped a year and a half ago because I hated what it did to me (emotional roller coaster and monthly skin problems) and I have since been using Fertility Awareness (charting and condoms during fertile times, NOT to be confused with the rhythm method!). I'd highly recommend looking into it as well. It is effective if you learn the rules and follow them. If you're interested find a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.
    /endPSA
  • I haven't been on BCPs since college, but I did want to chime in and answer your question. Yes, I was on my period on my wedding day and no, it was not awful. Don't get me wrong; I didn't love it, but it definitely wasn't the end of the world. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree with others, I don't like the idea of going on BC pill two months before the wedding, just to prevent the period.  The good news is that you know what to expect and prep your MOH and your FI for what to expect day and night of. 
    My experience with BC pill has been very positive, but everybody is different.  I started about six months prior to the wedding talking to FI at the time about BC and we decided that the pill was a good option, talked to my doc and thankfully she got it right on the first try.  I had side affects, most annoying being moodiness, but no weight gain.  My wedding day was my last sugar pill, so I decided to deal and it worked.
  • Kate61487 said:
    jenn5628 said:
    I just looked at the calendar and I should be just ending my placebo week on my wedding day... meaning period will be over!!

really?  Mine always started a little more than halfway through placebo week and ended after day 2 or 3 of being back on active pills

But my body's all sorts of weird - I'm actually having much shorter periods now that we're TTC then I ever did on the pill.

I have a very light period... usually only last 2-3 days.  And I usually have a day of spotting the week before the placebos.  So weird how it's different for everyone.  

... and now I really feel like I've ventured into TMI territory!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I used to have sex during my period all the time, although after I went off the pill, my period would be too heavy on the first couple of days. But like the OP, I'd be more irritated about cramps, bloating, acne, and my most annoying period-related problem: leaking. Grrrr.

@kerbohl There's also a non-hormonal IUD (Paragard) that I've heard great things about!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • monkeysip said:
    To add to Chloe--there are also menstrual cups that can be used during intercourse (I think they're the softcups?).  Other menstrual cups CANNOT, haha, so don't try it.

I don't know what you're comfortable with, but I'm just mentioning it because I know some couples use it to be able to have sex during the woman's period.
    I have use The Keeper (<-link) for 5 years and I will NEVER go back to tampons.  At first I was concerned about having to change it in a public restroom (according to the website you just use your sport water bottle to clean it out... gross).  But I have never run in to that problem.  I usually keep it in for 24 hours.  I empty and clean it in the shower.  As long as it's not full, you're good to go!  (ps: I've never had it fill up before)  Totally worth the money!!

@monkeysip haha! Don't try it... I suspect you've done the research... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, I haven't tried it, haha, but I've used something similar to a divacup before for my period, and I can't imagine trying to have sex with it, but I also know that there's people who lack common sense (not saying OP or anything, just that there's dumb warning signs on everything for a reason, ha)

SaveSave
  • jenn5628 said:
    Kate61487 said:
    jenn5628 said:
    I just looked at the calendar and I should be just ending my placebo week on my wedding day... meaning period will be over!!

really?  Mine always started a little more than halfway through placebo week and ended after day 2 or 3 of being back on active pills

But my body's all sorts of weird - I'm actually having much shorter periods now that we're TTC then I ever did on the pill.

I have a very light period... usually only last 2-3 days.  And I usually have a day of spotting the week before the placebos.  So weird how it's different for everyone.  

... and now I really feel like I've ventured into TMI territory!
    congrats on popping your internet TMI cherry ;-) haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards