Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

CELEBRITY CHINA SCAM

Hello,

I understand you probably get a lot of emails but please don't overlook this one. Celebrity China has ruined my life and my future with my hubby. The reason for this is there expensive cookware. Before April 6th, 2013 we received numerous calls stating that we had won 2 free toasting flutes. When I had called someone back they had told me that if I listened to a 90 minute presentation I would receive my free toasting flutes at the end of the presentation.   On April 6th, 2013 My fiancée had attended a presentation and never received our free toasting flutes.
On April 6th, 2013. My fiancée and I  had purchased a set of Celebrity China including: flat ware, cookware and an 8 piece knife set for a price of $2184.73.  My fiancée and I were very unsure about making such a large purchase and did no research on this third party company before making a final decision.  The salesman Rik Plumb had sold us this purchase at the Sterling Inn in Sterling Heights, Michigan. Rik was extremely high pressuring and would not let us leave without making a purchase.  We received the cookware, knife set, and flat ware on April 29th 2013.  We had used one pan out of the six pans that we had received. The salesman had told us that the pans were nonstick and everything we cooked on them for the one meal we cooked stuck to the pan.   On April 30th 2013, my fiancée had lost his job making us unable to pay for the cookware set. I had made a phone call to Celebrity China in Lenexa Kansas. I had discussed my concerns with Doug.   Who had told me that he was unable to return the un used pans and I was forced to pay for them. When I had talked to Doug there was minute pause between our conversations making me believe that I was talking to a computer and Doug does not even exist.  Rik Plumb is another one that does not exist. After I had the conversation was Doug I was infuriated and decided to send the pans back. They were sent out and returned on (date). My fiancée did some research and the phone number and name given were fake.  I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau , Federal Trade Commission, Attorney General, and the Cosumer Agency of Michigan. Something needs to be done about this.  This company is a fraud and is high pressuring. I have done a lot of research on this company and I did not find any good reviews on them.  I hope that with all of this negative feedback from this company you think twice for letting them attend Bridal Shows. Please let every bride you know about this company. They are nothing but a scam and innocent young bride and grooms should be aware of them.

Thanks for your time,

Re: CELEBRITY CHINA SCAM

• 1.  How many places did you post this?
    2.  This is not an email, it's a forum.
    3.  If Celebrity China ruined your life and your future with your hubby because they convinced you to spend too much money on a crappy product you need some therapy.
    4.  If you were "very unsure" about making this large product why did you do no research?
    5.  Write off the money and go on with your life.  In the future learn how to say no.

• It does sound like a scam, but it also sounds like you and your FI were pushovers and bought something you didn't want because you were pressured into it.  And, how were you able to buy from a salesman at a hotel, and then later say that same person ("Rik") doesn't exist?  Didn't the fact that he was selling something with a random phone call and out of a hotel room tip you off that it wasn't completely straightforward?  Everything about this screams scam from the beginning.  $2000 is a large amount of money to drop on something you aren't convinced about.  If you bought it with a credit card you can dispute the charge through that company, otherwise, write it off as a stupid mistake and kiss your money goodbye. And grow a couple of backbones, because you're going to need them, otherwise people will see you for the easy targets you are and continue to take advantage of you.

• Why in the world would you spend over $2k on something that you were unsure of from a company you didn't know of or research beforehand?
  • You say he wouldn't let you leave until you bought something... what did he handcuff you to a chair and force you to open your checkbook? Seriously, grow a back bone. Unless he forcibly confined you, in which this becomes a criminal offense, then you should have left when your spidey sense was tingling in the first place. In the end, you basically paid over $2000, not for crappy cookware, but for champagne flutes...

Yeah, it's terrible that companies, even fake ones, can get away with stuff like this, but it's people like you that let it perpetuate. Like PP's have said, you can try and dispute the charges to your credit card company if that's how you paid for it, by stating it was a scam, but you need proof. Maybe give them the numbers you tried. Otherwise, you can take this as a very expensive lesson on how not to be an idiot or "innocent bride and grooms", and learning some common sense.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards