Wedding Etiquette Forum

Not inviting coworkers?

Ok we are on a very tight budget and i really am close with many of my coworkers but that would make guest list go up by 8-12 people. We are trying keep guest list around 50-60 people. Any suggestions? They know i am engaged i think they would feel offended if they didnt get invite. I work them everyday. Hmm

Re: Not inviting coworkers?

• Simply don't invite them and keep wedding talk in the workplace to a minimum.  If they ask, simply explain your situation like you did here.  "We are on a very tight budget and are keeping our wedding very small.  We wish we could invite everyone we'd like to, but unfortunately, we just can't.  Did you get that memo about the TPS reports?"

Easy peasy.  Good luck!
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • wittykitty14wittykitty14 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013

If I worried too much about "offending" anyone by not inviting them, my guest list would have been through the roof.  Everyone will understand that you have to cut back somewhere.  The only place you really have to worry about offending anyone is by making sure everyone is invited in circles.

Define "very close".  Do you hang out with them outside of work?  If you changed jobs, would you keep in touch with these people?

If you're trying to keep the guest list small, I might advise against inviting them.  But ultimately it's up to you.

ETA: Ditto @radleyboo.  Keep the wedding talk to a minimum at work.  Unless they ask you a specific question about it, don't talk about it.

• If you're only have 50-60 people (probably mostly family), I doubt they expect to be invited. It might get messy and cause strained professional relationships if you invite some and not others so I'd go all in or keep it co-worker free. 

We are keeping our wedding co-worker free because of budget, venue size and, most importantly, it's worked very well for both of us to keep personal and professional separate.
    *********************************************************************************

• KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It is totally fine to not invite co-workers.  Just don't spend all day at work talking about your wedding, wedding planning, etc.

*** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • To help us decide we went with "Do we hang out with them outside of work?" No, no invite, Yes, invited.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    You don't have to invite them, but if you don't, don't discuss the wedding in their presence.  If anyone asks if they are invited, just tell them that it was not possible for you to invite everyone you would have liked.
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    I had a friend in a similar situation. She decided not to invite her coworkers because of budget but once she and her husband returned from their honeymoon she and her coworkers went out after work on a Friday night for drinks to celebrate. Maybe this (or something similar) is something to consider??
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Completely agree with PPs. Keep wedding talk to a minimum at work (don't talk about it at all if you can manage it!).

I've been surprised at how little I've kept in touch with coworkers after switching jobs, so I think that, "Would I still spend time with them as friends if I weren't their coworker?" is a great question to ask yourself. For me, it just didn't occur to me that if we weren't hanging out a lot outside of work, it probably meant we weren't going to keep hanging out after I left.

Right now, my partner and I are not sure about inviting coworkers/bosses because our workplaces are very fluid, and we don't know who exactly we'll be working with when it comes time to send out invites.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • If there are people you are actually friends with (i.e. you hang out with them outside of work at non-work-related functions), invite them. Otherwise you're under no obligation.

My work team is 10-ish people and I switched jobs midway through wedding planning... I shudder to think of adding all those people!

• LMAO @ the memo on the TPS report. ok I will try this and see how it goes.
  • Thanks for all the replies there is only 2 i hang with after work. When my father passed before Christmas i was off for awhile , when i returned the team had a huge arrangement of flowers in my office and my office was filled with lots of cards , it was really sweet. 2 of them also kept in touch the whole time i was off (1 month on stress leave) so i think i will envite only these 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards