Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

3 Piece Acoustic Band - Instrument Choices

Hi All,

So after a quite extensive search, we have found a wedding band for our wedding later this year.

We love the vocalist, who is a great performer, however he has a very versatile band / setup that he uses for many different gigs.

The dilemma I am in at the moment is, given that he has such a diverse range of musicians, what is a good combination of instruments for an acoustic type 3 piece that can also up the volume and beat for later on in the night (dancing etc)? Its hard to listen first hand as most of the gigs he has are either private or public with a full band setup.

There are a few options I am thinking:
 - He has indicated that 2 acoustic guitars make quite a good sound, however I'm not 100% sure, as I haven't seen this live. I might be able to also get an electric guitar to swap later in the night if this is a good idea?
 - I have also previously heard another band that used an Acoustic guitar and keyboard, which was a decent sound.
 - There is also the option of bass guitar, or electric guitar, or combination of the above.

I'm not an expert on this, so I just thought I would ask if anyone had any experience or recommendations of a good 3 piece acoustic setup?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

Re: 3 Piece Acoustic Band - Instrument Choices

• Options
    I like the idea of acoustic for ceremony and dinner, and then electric for dancing if that's an option.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Guitar, bass and drums.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    I'd go with two guitars and a bass. Drums aren't always necessary, and the guitars and bass can add a lot of rhythm. 
  • Options
    Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions, they are appreciated! 

I am leaning away from drums, so I think the idea of 2 acoustic guitars with bass is a good one.
    Happy to hear from others though as well!

Thanks.
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I'd go with two guitars and a bass. Drums aren't always necessary, and the guitars and bass can add a lot of rhythm. 
    There's a big difference between rhythm and keeping time/the beat.  OP indicated that she wants dancing later in the evening.  Drums are the backbone of the rhythm section for that.

OP - I know a lot about this because I spent years programming acoustic trios for events.  If you are concerned that drums will be too loud, while that is a common concern, professional drummers have ways to minimize the sound during "quieter" portions of the evening (e.g. playing with brushes).  

If dancing is not a major part of your vision for the evening, then skip the drums.  If it is, then I urge you to consider it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards