Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Gluten-free Cookies or Cupcakes? No wedding cake - help!

I am a gluten-free bride trying to decide between cookies and cupcakes for the reception as the main dessert. We are not planning on a wedding cake. 

If we serve cookies, guests can enjoy multiple flavors throughout the night and tend to taste better gluten-free. They also tend to keep better, important as our reception is on the beach. Cupcakes (cake in general) are more traditional and were our first inclination, however gluten-free cupcakes are hit and miss and we want everyone to enjoy. What would you rather eat? 

Thanks in advance!! :)

Re: Gluten-free Cookies or Cupcakes? No wedding cake - help!

• I am a gluten-free bride trying to decide between cookies and cupcakes for the reception as the main dessert. We are not planning on a wedding cake. 

If we serve cookies, guests can enjoy multiple flavors throughout the night and tend to taste better gluten-free. They also tend to keep better, important as our reception is on the beach. Cupcakes (cake in general) are more traditional and were our first inclination, however gluten-free cupcakes are hit and miss and we want everyone to enjoy. What would you rather eat? 

Thanks in advance!! :)
    Do you have to have all the desserts gluten free?  Could you have your cupcakes gluten free and have traditional cupcakes for the guests?  Or whatever dessert you choose?
  • Most of my family is also gluten-free, so for the convenience of the caterer and to reduce cross-contamination, we thought it would be best to have everything gluten-free. We have an amazing GF baker out here in AZ, but we will be getting married on the Cape, hence the hit or miss.
  • I would rather have a cupcake personally, and I have had some really good gluten free ones before. Is there a way that you could schedule a tasting before the wedding to make sure whatever option you go with will be tasty?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would really try to do some tastings.  I would be happy with either a cookie buffet or cupcakes, but I would hope that you as the host would serve what you thought was most delicious.  If you absolutely cannot do tastings, really look at reviews and post on your local board to see if you can get recommendations.
  • I would prefer cupcakes, BUT I would prefer cookies if they were going to taste better than the gluten-free cupcakes. I've never had gluten-free food, so I'm not familiar with any of it. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Id go with cupcakes. If you cannot find a GF baker, you can make them yourself. Itll save you money too. I am extremely gluten sensitive as will be at least one of the groomsmen and the sister of my fiance has celiac. Theres probably several others that will be there that can't eat gluten either. So for us its an option of either finding a baker and caterer that will work with us or catering and baking ourselves. Luckily for me the fiance is a professional baker but even me with my little to no skills in baking could probably make GF cupcakes for the wedding if push comes to shove, so thats an idea for you there. And it will save a lot of money and you will have complete control over the taste and decoration
  • I am gluten free, as well as most of my family and some of my FI's family. We are doing one GF cake to cut, several small gluten-full cakes, and then a mix of cup cakes. We're thinking of getting them at different places. It seems more cost effective to go with more simple white, or light pink cakes, and regular cakes are definitely cheaper than GF!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards