Wedding Reception Forum
Options

DJ for Small Wedding?

Posting for a friend:

"We've invited 48 people to our August wedding, but we're probably going to end up with closer to 25-30. (Wrigley's note: they're budgeting for 50; she's basing this on responses she's received through PMs on Facebook, texts, etc.) 

I want to have some music, but I wasn't sure if it would be weird to have a DJ for a small reception. I figure some people will want to dance, so I was thinking about hooking up the iPod, but I like the idea of having someone to sort of move the reception along, so to speak, someone who can MC. But I'm not sure if having a DJ on a mic would be weird for a small gathering.

Should I maybe use the iPod option and just hire a DOC who can also act as MC, skip the MC idea altogether and just assume the BM and MOH will know when to do their toasts and not have them introduced? I also like that an MC announces the couple and the first dance.

I've never been to a small wedding, so I can't compare. I'm used to large weddings with a DJ. I just don't want it to look weird that there's this DJ with the nice speakers and lights and stuff and only 25-30 people there, half of which probably won't dance. Thanks for your help!"

Re: DJ for Small Wedding?

• Options

We had 27 guests at our wedding, but invited 40ish. We had a DJ because I knew that our guests weren't going to get up and dance with just an iPod. The DJ was great at playing songs that our guests would dance to and totally catered our music to what seemed most popular with everyone that night. A few guests started swing dancing to a song so he played similar songs. He also was great about announcing things and moving things along. We figured that only about 5 to 10 guests would dance without the DJ. In the end we only had a few people (3 elderly family members) not get out and dance at some point. We don't regret the decision at all.

Only you know your guests. Will they dance with just iPod music? Do you have the budget for a DJ? Do you have the time/want to spend the time to make your own playlist?

• Options
    I find nothing wrong with a DJ for a small wedding - It would probably give them some nice peace of mind, knowing that the playlist is premeditated and not on shuffle and someone is being hired and payed to take care of any issues. I would maybe shorten the time that he plays, though, to 1.5-2 hours.
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation!  We are inviting about 40 people but know not all 40 will be able to come.  We are getting married at Paradise Cove in Orlando.  I am about to hook up my Ipod for our reception.  Our ceremony and reception are from 6pm-10pm.  I am finding it really hard to pay around $700 for a dj that will play for prob no more than 3.5 hours.  Im trying to find cheaper djs or come up with alternative options.  If you have any ideas let me know what you find out!
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I ran the responses by her, and they do have the budget for a DJ. She's been to a couple weddings where he was the DJ, and she really likes him.

I think she's learning toward hiring him, based on the fact SOME people will want to dance and she won't have to worry about announcing things or dealing with technical issues. I also told her the guests might have requests, and it's much easier to handle that with a DJ than to see if she can grab it off iTunes. I think that sealed it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards