Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

has anyone ever heard of this?

My Husband recently informed me of his uncle getting "married" to his new gf.  Were friends with his ex and according to her they havent even finalized theyre divorce, shes extremely trustworthy.  His mom swears they finalized their divorce and apparently the whole family is under this impression.  The couple threw a HUGE expensive wedding.  Now i know second ceremonys are discussed on here a lot but has anyone ever heard of doing this? Obviously theyre not married since thats impossible but really? Why?

Re: has anyone ever heard of this?

• Options
    My Husband recently informed me of his uncle getting "married" to his new gf.  Were friends with his ex and according to her they havent even finalized theyre divorce, shes extremely trustworthy.  His mom swears they finalized their divorce and apparently the whole family is under this impression.  The couple threw a HUGE expensive wedding.  Now i know second ceremonys are discussed on here a lot but has anyone ever heard of doing this? Obviously theyre not married since thats impossible but really? Why?

If the couple getting married says they are divorced, you should stay out of it.
  • Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    I agree with cmgilpin. You should stay out of it. If they're not actually divorced and he got married that is his issue to deal with not yours.
  • Options
    If the divorce wasn't actually final, that's their problem. If it was, I don't see what the issue is. Either way, it's their stuff, not yours. I agree to stay out of it.
  • Options

I'm not sure if it's different in different states, but in Ohio you have to show a certified copy of the divorce papers when you apply for a marriage license. The divorce papers are only issued once the divorce is final.

If you are curious if they are divorced or not, or if the marriage is legal, you can always look it up in the county probate court files. Divorce and marriage records are public records.

Now if the divorce isn't final and they had the ceremony, well then they had a beautiful commitment ceremony and the details of why the divorce isn't final yet, is only the business of the uncle, his ex and new wife.

• Options
    IF you're wary, I wouldn't go to it.
  • Options
    Look up the records if you're really so concerned. What are you going to do, turn the uncle in for bigamy?
  • Options
    Im not sure how i indicated that i was going to get involved but no im not I dont even talk to these people.  It already happened we werent invited we just heard about it later from everyone.  They are not divorced but he lied to the entire family about it so everyone is under the impression that theyre divorced.  I was just wondering if this is something that happens. Do people do this often or something.
  • Options
    Im not sure how i indicated that i was going to get involved but no im not I dont even talk to these people.  It already happened we werent invited we just heard about it later from everyone.  They are not divorced but he lied to the entire family about it so everyone is under the impression that theyre divorced.  I was just wondering if this is something that happens. Do people do this often or something.

Yes, there are some people in this world that are complete assholes and have no problem lying to their families about their marital status just so they can have a lavish "wedding."  For a similar example we get brides on here that want to "get the legal paperwork" out of the way, not tell their family that they are married and then have a "real wedding" at a later time.  No it isn't right and it is extremey rude and hurtful to their family and friends but they do it anyways.  Some people can be pretty selfish and could give two shits about anyone but themselves. 

• Options
    Keeping what Maggie said in mind that of course there are always some jerks who might, I'd have to say that generally no, "getting married" before divorces are final is not a common thing that people do, if that's really just what your question was.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards