Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Introduction!

Hi everyone, my name is Melissa.  I've posted a few times on this board, but haven't formally introduced myself.  My fiancé Andy and I were engaged on April 9th and are very excited to be married!  We met as a result of work.  I applied for a part time job in college at the shop he manages.  It’s a scuba shops and I had just come back from a yearlong study abroad trip in Australia where I learned to scuba dive.  I thought it would be a great summer job while I finished up college.  I applied, Andy was actually the one that interviewed me…and the rest is history!  My mom loves to tell people that I travelled halfway around the world to meet someone that lived right around the corner.The engagement story goes like this: Andy just completed a training program for work for which he was in Malaysia for 2 weeks.  I thought it would be fun to throw a dinner party in his honor at a local restaurant a few days after he got back.  His family happened to be in town visiting his mom (she was in hospital as a result of a bad car accident in March – doing great now though!) and my mom and a bunch of our close friends all came out “to celebrate Andy”, or so I thought.  Long story short, it turns out that he totally took advantage of my party planning.  He got up to make a big speech about how everyone at the party had played an integral part in his career, whether they had been students, customers, etc (he is the manager and an instructor at the local SCUBA shop I teach).  He starts at the opposite and of the table from me and works his way down.  When he gets to me he goes on that he couldn’t have done anything he has accomplished without me and he loves me and all the cute stuff.  He gets down on this knee and pulls out the ring.  My heart was racing and I was in shock.  My face turned all red and after I squeaked out a yes and apparently a “oh my God  you’re really doing this!” I realized that everyone was watching me.  It was an amazing way for him to do it because I didn’t know until afterwards that everyone at the table knew about it but me.  He had already asked my mom’s permission, and some people had already even seen the ring. He totally pulled a big one over on me!We've been together for almost 5 years and it's about darn time we make it official.  We picked our date and venue for February 9, 2013 at the Grand Hall at the Priory.  Both the ceremony and reception will be there.  We are taking advantage of the Winter White package that they offer.  That is about all we have planned now.  I have looked at some dresses at Alfred Angelo (definitely found a front runner).  I have an appointment with Bridal Beginning in September as they are having a Jim Hjelm trunk show and I’d love to see those gowns in person.  We are meeting with Kristy @ Limelight Images next month for a consult on wedding photography.  I’m super pumped about that!I’m so excited about all these decisions, but it’s really stressful too.  We have had a little bit of help from family, but we are doing the majority of it ourselves.  That’s another reason I’m not too upset that we are planning for a 2013 wedding.  More time to save!I look forward to getting to know all of you better and sharing our stories and experiences together.  Thanks for letting me share!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Introduction!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I meant to space that into paragraphs and the formatting got messed up......
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MRadsMRads member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!  The Grand Priory looks like such an amazing venue.  I've always wanted to learn how to scuba dive.  Where is your scuba shop?

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Mandie!  Thanks very much.  We are super excited for the venue!  The venue is an old German Catholic church.  We almost see it as a sign because I'm Catholic (FI is not) but FI is full blooded German (parents immigrated in the 60s).  There is a huge organ, high ceilings, stained glass, etc.  It's a wonderful compromise.

The SCUBA shop that I teach at is called Splash Water Sports.  It's on Banksville Road in the South Hills (about 5 minutes from downtown).  I'm you woman if anyone wants to try out scuba or even get certified!  Cool
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Melissa!! Congrats on your engagement and welcome! Your proposal story is so sweet! The Priory is a gorgeous venue and a winter wedding sounds lovely! I'm looking forward to hearing all of your wedding details as they unfold! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome Melissa, your story is so sweet and the proposal is so touching! 

Planning in advance is the BEST thing to do.  Keep an open mind to things that may change within your vision of your special day, but enjoy taking the time to book the vendors that you really want.  People gave me a hard time for planning in Fall of 10 for a June 2012 wedding, but we've booked for 2010-2011 pricing and they're all locked in.  Plus you get a lot of options because most people aren't booked as far in advance as you're planning.  :)

Congrats, and welcome!  Enjoy your planning experience!
    image 145 Invited
    image 121 Are ready to party!
    image 24 Will be missing out!
    image Everyone has finally RSVP'd!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_introduction-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:8b1167a8-6ddc-41bc-8c16-252898190723Post:d2783c4e-a454-4856-a8ee-8327b14e5ffc">Introduction!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom loves to tell people that I travelled halfway around the world to meet someone that lived right around the corner. 
    Posted by Melis7683[/QUOTE]

<div>I love that quote your mom says.  Welcome to the boards, come around often.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I got engaged last June and my wedding isn't til next April.  I can't even tell you how much money I saved by booking things like my venue and photographer over a year in advance... but it's in the thousands.  I also feel like I'm saving myself tons of stress by doing it in small chunks.  So good for you for starting early!</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!  The Priory is a great venue; my good friend had her reception there and was just lovely.

And I'm in the same boat as MDPHD - my FI and I have an 18 month engagement.. got engaged August of 2010 and are getting married April 2012.  Plus we're planning from 4 hours away.  I can't tell you how wonderful it is having all of this time to plan!  We get to save up more and I'm definitely less stressed as everything is unraveling verryyy slowly.

Good luck with all the planning!  We can't wait to hear all of your plans!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome! I love your proposal story; it's so sweet!  I'm also planning a 2013 wedding.  I'm going to look at reception sites soon, but I've already got my ceremony and dress under control.
    My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards