August 2013 Weddings

NWR (mostly) - We signed a lease!!

Not officially wedding related, but FI and I finally have a place to live! We signed a lease for an apartment for July 15, so we'll have almost 3 weeks to get furniture delivered and arranged, pictures hung, etc. before we're married. I'm *ecstatic* - Hurricane Sandy made finding apartments a little more complicated near me, so we ended up in a 1 bedroom (we were hoping for a 2 bedroom for office space). It's wonderful, though - we have a patio, and from what we can see we have good neighbors (their patios are decorated and nice, so they've been there for some time and are invested the complex). I am so excited!!

We're going furniture shopping on Saturday. Any items of furniture you absolutely love, or wish you hadn't gotten? We're starting blank slate except for having a mattress already.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

Re: NWR (mostly) - We signed a lease!!

• That's wonderful, congratulations! Two items I'm glad we got when we first moved in together are a good TV stand made from real wood (not pressed board). It is sturdy and I know it will last forever. We got it at a local furniture store. The other is this DVD cabinet we found on Amazon. Looks nice and keeps DVDs out of sight!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's so exciting! FI just have a list of places and since our wedding is aug 24th it would be nice to get an apartment halfway through aug so we can move stuff in. So far we've gotten a coffee table but we have furniture at both our places. Actually I wish we were moving in with sparse furniture, you can always add things you both love as you go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yay!!! Congrats! That's so exciting! We got our couches from bobs and we love them! They are so comfy and we couldn't find anything cheaper anywhere!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • YAY!!!  Congrats!!  We also just signed a lease for a one bedroom with a June 15 move-in (in NoVA).  From my experience with past apartments it's good to invest some in furniture if you can.  I bought a couch from ikea for my first place and that thing was so beat after only 1 year.  
  • Congrats!! That's so exciting!! Make sure you have a good bed set, when FI & I first moved in together (we were 18 & 21) we were starting from scratch and had our mattress on the floor. As fun as it was at the time, I could never go back to not having a nice bedroom set. 
  • Congrats! We're going to start looking for apartments soon. :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks everyone!! FI and I have lived together in the past (we had an apartment for senior year of college), but have lived back home for two years. Everything we had was from yard sales, hand-me-down, or from Ikea, lol! I am SO looking forward to having nice matching furniture.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Congrats! I think PP's have it covered on the furniture. One thing we really have loved is our kitchen island; our kitchen has very little counter space so it has been HUGE for us.
  • What a great idea about a kitchen island.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We actually just got the $99 one from IKEA and it has been more than sufficient. Makes cooking at home a more appealing prospect!
  • We're hoping to get a baker's rack, if we can fit it. We do have a breakfast bar built into our kitchen, though, which I'm really excited for!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• YAY! Congrats! So exciting! :)
  • @stardust How is your packing and preparing for the move going?

I haven't moved in 2 years and I forgot how much work it is.  I just start packing last night and only got 2 boxes packed.
  • Oh lord, I haven't even started packing yet. Didn't even think about it! I guess I really should, lol. Luckily, I don't have tons to pack - it's really just personal stuff (clothes, books) because all of our furniture except our mattress we just bought and will have delivered to our apartment. Our shower gifts FI & I are going to organize tonight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• That's great!  I don't have much furniture but what I have is super annoying to move so I am hoping to have every drawer emptied by Saturday morning.  We'll see how that goes.
  • Congrats on the new apartment!  Such an exciting time.  We are hoping to put in an offer on a house in July as well...a little stressful but exciting at the same time.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards