Getting in Shape

Running with Dogs

I had mentioned this in a prior post, but I have several more questions so I thought I should start a new thread. 

For those of you who run with dogs, do you have any advice? My dog is good on the runs usually, but she sometimes gets distracted or over-excited, about three times per run. Also, she seems to have a hard time keeping pace. She'll either be a few feet behind or a few feet ahead, but when we walk she stays right at my side (there's plenty of room).

I know that dogs are more sensitive to heat, but how can you tell if they're too hot? And I've heard about collapsible water bowls for running in areas far from home; does anyone use one? 
"Anyone can wear a white gown, but only a bride can wear a veil". ~Randy Fenoli Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Running with Dogs

• I agree with both Kwith and xcaly. My dog basically trained for the Boston marathon with me (longest run was 18 miles w him!) but the difference was it was cold outside. We barely ever ran above 45 degrees training for that. (Yuck) I was petrified to take him on a 3 mile run in the beginning but we built up his endurance along with mine. What I'd suggest is make sure you're willing to take short breaks to give him water or even a small treat. My dog is really good on runs and he loves to just trot along, he barely ever stops or gets excited. He trots about 2-3 steps ahead of me but his leash isn't taut. I do use a pinch collar (it simulates the mom biting the back of their neck) which helps him to not pull. For this summer- I will be a lot different with taking him out. He's black so I'll probably only take him on short runs < 3 miles and I'll bring plenty of water. I don't have a collapsible bowl I use the top of the water bottles usually. Hope that helps! It really is nice having a running buddy :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks so much ladies! You were all great help. 
    "Anyone can wear a white gown, but only a bride can wear a veil". ~Randy Fenoli Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My dog starts to pant a lot when he gets too hot. That's when we stop and take a break (though I walk/jog - still working on running for a long period of time!) I usually just take 2 water bottles - one for me and one for him - and use the lid as a bowl. They make for great weights!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards