Outdoor Weddings

Ball Gown for outdoor wedding?

amouse83amouse83 member
Name Dropper First Comment
edited June 2013 in Outdoor Weddings
I am getting married at Maymont on April 12 2014, it is a beautiful outdoor garden but the dress I really like is a ball gown.  Would it be wrong to wear a ball gown dress for a mid-day wedding in a garden? Maymont is a gorgeous estate but I don't want to be overdressed?
imageimage

Re: Ball Gown for outdoor wedding?

• edited June 2013
    Wear what you want and what you feel comfortable in. If guests are whispering while you go down the aisle, "omg, shes too over-dressed why would she wear that" then youre inviting the wrong people. 

if you love it, then wear it! 
  • It is a little formal for a midday, outdoor wedding, but I'm not sure it matters. It's not going to hurt anyone, so if you love the dress, go for it.

My H wore a tux to our 4pm park wedding, with me in a tea-length gown. The formality was off, sure, but we gave nonefucks. We were both happy in our attire and our venue.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Exactly what @elBecko said. And usually when people say, "It's your day! Do what you want!" it's defending doing something that is rude or selfish. But I don't think that applies to the dress. Is it a bit formal for a mid-day garden wedding? Yes. But if there's ever a time when it's okay to be overdressed, it's your wedding! And the last thing you'll want to be doing the day of is be wearing a dress that perfectly matches the venue, but isn't the one you truly love.
    Anniversary
  • I just googled your wedding venue - gorgeous!!! The place looks pretty swanky even though it's outside. If you love it, go for it! I have no idea what the weather will be like, but I'm getting married outside in July so I picked a dress with minimal material and that's lightweight so I don't overheat. When you go to try stuff on, you'll see what I mean - some of the dresses weigh A TON and have so much material I was roasting and felt super heavy. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I rocked the biggest dress with the biggest train I could find, and I had an outdoor wedding. As long as the overall decorating and hosting is elegant, a ballgown does not look out of place at all.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I'm getting married in a ballgown outside. :) We're having fancy china and elaborate table decor, just outdoors. My parents are landscapers and have built a waterfall, pond, and different gardens. They are putting in a brick aisle to the forrest in the back of our property. I wondered a lot about this but I've just always wanted a ballgown and love the forrest. 

I think you have a stunning venue and a stunning dress and that goes well together!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks soo much, this is the only dress I tried on that I was like  wow! I feel really pretty.
  • amouse83 said:
    Thanks soo much, this is the only dress I tried on that I was like  wow! I feel really pretty.
    Well then, you have your answer. I'm sure you'll look lovely.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I got married in a ballroom style dress outdoors. Our wedding was at 10:30 am as it was his uncles family restaurant. We needed to get married before it opened for lunch. Our reception was out back and was a lunch. We told our friends to be comfortable and we were overdressing because we wanted to.image
  • hutchsl said:
    I got married in a ballroom style dress outdoors. Our wedding was at 10:30 am as it was his uncles family restaurant. We needed to get married before it opened for lunch. Our reception was out back and was a lunch. We told our friends to be comfortable and we were overdressing because we wanted to.image
    Eee!  I LOVE that train!!!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Thanks! I bought it at an antique fair for $150. Not sure how old it is. It had hand sewn pearls on it. A few were missing and my tailor replaced them.
  • If that's what you love then go for it! I originally planned on a ball gown but decided that a sheath dress would work better but that's just me. Don't worry about what your guests think, as long as you feel beautiful that's all that matters.
  • If it were all satin or a heavy fabric I may say it is too much, but I think the chiffon skirt makes it work well for an out door venue.  Sure you have bling, but you are a bride and the venue sound formal and gorgeous.  Go for it.
  • You are the princess for the day! What ever you want. And the dress is really pretty!
  • arimuffinarimuffin member
    First Comment
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for asking this question! I'm getting married outdoors, in front of this tiny colonial Victorian chapel in the late afternoon wearing this Ian Stuart dress... My mother made the comment that it's more suited to a cathedral. I had a small freak out 'am I being over the top', 'is this totally inappropriate?', I figured it is the one chance I'll get to wear something that I think is to die for so I'm just going to do it. I bought the dress and told mother after the fact :) 

So my opinion is go for it! I am doing the same thing afterall ;) And that dress of yours is beautiful and that's what a bride should look on her day! 
  • Im getting married on the beach under a lighthouse, with our reception in the Antique Carousel pavilion 300 yards away. I had a moment after we put down the deposit of "oh crap, a ballgown on the beach?!" But I dont care!!!! :D Here's my dress!
  • Go for the dress you love for sure!  We're also doing an outdoor wedding in a casual location, bridesmaids in casual short dresses.  So when I went dress shopping I had it in my head that I wanted a simpler dress to match the casual feel.  Tried on a bunch and hated them all.  Turns out the only dresses I like are the giant poofy sparkly princess ball gowns.  Totally didn't expect it.  (btw - OP, I LOVE the dress you posted! Who is the designer? its gorgeous!)

And I think for a beautiful garden wedding a formal dress isn't inappropriate at all.  

We're actually still finding a venue and when I mentioned to my mom that we might end up not going outdoors she said that given the dresses I'm looking at it would be sad to be stuck indoors.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    You can cut back on the formal feel of the dress by wearing a fingertip length veil instead of a full floor length one.  Very pretty dress!
    If your groom wears a morning coat or a nice suit, he'll look perfect standing next to you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • some who have posted have since had their wedding.... how did it go??

i'm rocking a ballgown at a ranch in hawaii in october! i never thought i'd go for such an over the top gown.... but i look and feel like a princess! can't wait!!

the dress and venue :)
  • I do think it might look a little out of place. I'd be more concerned with mobility and with how I could move to not get it dirty!
  • amouse83 said:
    I am getting married at Maymont on April 12 2014, it is a beautiful outdoor garden but the dress I really like is a ball gown.  Would it be wrong to wear a ball gown dress for a mid-day wedding in a garden? Maymont is a gorgeous estate but I don't want to be overdressed?
    imageimage

amouse83 said:
    imageimage

Im from the same area and Maymont is gorgeous, as is your dress! Wear what makes you feel beautiful and don't allow the location to have a factor in that. I was married at the beach and several of the brides on that board had ball gowns on the beach, including my SIL, and they looked beautiful. That one pic of Maymont doesn't do it justice anyways.....the gardens are beautiful. If THIS is THE dress that makes you feel beautiful on your wedding day, then that's it. The decision has been made.

• IMO, you can never be overdressed for your own wedding. Bride or groom.

• Displaying IMG_0706.jpg

I am getting married in April 2015 at The Darby House in Columbus Ohio. The grounds are now leased out to Cameron Mitchell restaurant owner and chef in Columbus who has this location to host weddings and receptions and one other that is in a high-rise that over looks all of downtown. This exact location was once used to train the Kentucky derby horses and used to host their friends and family for golf. My dress is a "fit and flare" if you would call it, and I am getting married outside on the patio overlooking the water, and we have the guys in grey tuxedos, it will be April 25th at 6-6:30 pm at night when our ceremony starts, and the next weekend will be a May weekend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't see anything wrong with a ballgown outside! I think it would look beautiful with your venue. Go for it! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not necessarily going to have a ballgown skirt on my dress...But I feel it's pretty elegant for a back yard outdoor wedding...But I don't really care!
  • I'm also getting married in a 'ballgown' outside, so I obviously think you're fine. Ps- love the dress!!
  • I'm so glad everyone seems to agree-wear what makes you feel beautiful! I have always loved huge, cucpakey super poofball princess dresses and it was never a doubt in my mind that I wanted to wear one on my wedding day. However, I'd always assumed I'd be married indoors, and now that a garden venue is at the top of our list, I too have been struck with the sudden worry that it's going to wind up looking ridiculous.So happy it's not as silly as I feared!
  • what style number is this dress
  • A million people have already said go for it but I wanted to chime and agree with those who said Maymont is quite elegant so the dress will look great! Congrats on finding yours. I'm waiting for two of my bridesmaids to visit to pick mine out and can't wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards