Massachusetts-Boston

Name change question

Hey ladies, I have a question as it relates to changing my name.

I want my new name to be First Name, Maiden Name, Last Name (not hyphenated; I am dropping my middle name and my maiden name will be my new middle name).

We just applied for our marriage license and on the application there was a field for new last name after marriage, however there was nothing for middle name. So how will I ensure my desired full name will be reflected in the marriage certificate? I assume I will need it reflected on the marriage cert. before I change it on my ss card, license, etc. Has anyone gone through this?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Name change question

• When you fill out your SS card application you can write what you want your new name to be.  I got married in CT where they don't have your new last name listed at all on your marriage license (except as your husband's last name).  I changed my name in MA and there was no issue.
    imageAnniversary
  • I did the same (made my middle name my maiden name) and jkmartin is correct. You don't have to worry about the marriage licenses for the middle name you do it at the social security office. After you change it there then you can change your licenses and everything else. FYI of you go to the SS office in Boston go extra early. A line starts to form before they are even open. I didn't realize that and went at the time it opened and ended up waiting 40 minutes to be seen.
  • Good to know, thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards