North Carolina-Outer Banks

where to stay

Hello there -

So I have stayed in Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills- I'm also familiar with Nags Head. When inputting my requirements for a rental home, I've found that most of them are in Corolla.

I don't really know much about the area. Background info - we will be getting 2 homes relatively near each other. Homes are 6 bedrooms, pet friendly, with a pool, and ideally a five minute walk or under to the beach. Guests are between 27-60. Everyone likes good food, good music, and good drinks. There are people who have never been to the outer banks, so I'm sure they'll want to see things. 

Where do you think we should stay? Is Corolla a good choice? 

Re: where to stay

• doceridoceri member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Hi!

I would think if your guests want to go out and do things I would not stay up in Corolla - it is nice up there but there is less around.  I would say Duck and below (meaning Kitty Hawk, KDH, and Nags Head) you will find more things to do for your guests.

Also, if you call a realty place they are super helpful in finding what you are looking for.  I personally used Village Realty in booking our house for our wedding week but I have dealt with all of them when I was initially looking at houses and they were all really helpful.

Good luck!
  • We have always stayed in Duck and I personally like that area better than any where else. There are a lot of shops and other activities there, however the Wright Bro is down in Kitty Hawk, but we always drove down there if we wanted to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi There!

Congratulations!! Sounds like a great wedding plan...it also kind of sounds like what we are doing! :)

As some of the previous brides mentioned corolla is a bit more off the beaten path then KDH, KH, etc.  However if your guests are more content to be with each other, cook and do 'happy hours' at the houses you rented, and just relax at the beach, then Corolla would work great.  If you think your guests would be a bit antsy being that secluded, then I would move a bit more towards where things a bit more hopping.  But, you do lose a bit of that privacy, as the houses are closer together and things are a bit more congested. 

If you do decide to stay in Corolla, dont forget that there a ton of cab companies and you will have no problems getting to and from the bars safely! and I'm sure you'll have a lot of volunteers to make runs to the grocery store, walmart, liquor store during the week to keep yourselves stocked up.

We booked two houses in South Nags Head for our wedding week (MP 19.5). I liked that area b/c it was a bit more secluded, but still a quick drive/cab ride to anything you can possibly want to do.  Have you given that area any thought? I'm not exactly positive, but I believe SNH is considered MP 15-22 or something close to that.  Its where beach road ends.

Good luck and have fun!!!

• I agree with PPs that Corolla might not be your best bet. If you plan on going out to eat or to drink or anything like that, Nags Head, KDH, etc are probably more of what you're looking for.

This is the house that we are (hopefully) renting for our bridal party and families for our wedding.
  • thank you. i'm going to have to give in on some things i want in a home - but you're all right, i'll be looking elsewhere for a rental.

thank you!!
  • I would also recommend looking at South Nags Head.  The beaches are really wide, and there are some nice houses.
    image June 22, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards