Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Nwr baby shower when new mom lives plane ride away

With future step mil and she wants to do a shower for her granddaughter who will be coming here by plane and won't be able to take large things home. So it makes sense to have items shipped to her but 1) how do you deal with that when comes to telling guests that? 2)And to opening gifts ...photos of them??? Seems silly... But I have no ideas here. Anyone? What do you do for distant bridal showers?
image   imageimage
You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: Nwr baby shower when new mom lives plane ride away

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    The one thing I can think of is for the granddaughter to have the gifts that she can't take home on the airplane shipped to her home.  In that instance it wouldn't be necessary to tell the guests anything.
  • Options
    kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Honestly, I'd skip it. Showers are about receiving and opening physical gifts. Could they just have a "meet the baby" party instead? I'm sure anyone who did want to contribute a gift would opt for cash or a gift card, if they know that she flew in.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

The mom-to-be will either have to ship gifts home, or return them to a local store with the intent to "repurchase" them at the store close to her home.

Part of the "joy" of accepting a shower far away from where you live.

• Options
    LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I would say that if the mom to be accepts the long distance shower, then she should expect to have to ship and/or check a bag for the presents. It is rude to expect the guests to ship it ahead of time (though many might) and like you said, make for a rather boring shower if there were just cards with pictures. Honestly most people will know not to buy big things and luckily baby clothes are super small, so she would probably get a lot of them!
    Since you asked about bridal showers in a similar case, my family/wp threw me one back home which is a plane ride away. I got a lot of gift cards and small kitchen things and a few neat sentimental wall hangings. I was able to fit most in my large suitcase I brought. The one large thing I would have shipped if my Gma wasn't drive to our wedding in a month and brought it with her.

• Options
    We had a shower for my sister in WI and she lives in AL. She flew in and since people realized she was flying they purchased clothing and smaller items. I did buy her a highchair to be a pain. But it can be done.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options

Yeah I think you could try to spread by word of mouth (in case anyone doesn't think of it or is unaware) that mom will be flying home so smaller/easier to pack gifts are appreciated.  But other than that I think new mom just has to figure out how to get anything she does receive home - either by shipping or returning/re-purchasing at a chain.

• Options
    Thanks all great points. I just shared with her and she is appreciative. She wants to know if fb and evite are ok to invite people. I think so, right?
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    Yeah, for a shower electronic invitations are okay.  Just not for weddings.
  • Options
    I know a girl who had a "video chat baby shower".  Apparently she couldn't fly out to Chicago, so people sent her gifts and then she opened them on camera (I think this is how it happened).  Regardless, kind of ridic.  The point of a shower is to shower her with gifts-the new momma is responsible for getting that stuff shipped back, or she should just decline.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards