Knottie Tech Help

Spammers

HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
edited June 2013 in Knottie Tech Help
@KnotPorscha It seems every weekend TK is taken over by spammers.  In the past these were taken care of quickly by mods, now it takes up to 48 hours.  Please consider putting mods back on the boards even if their only job is to get rid of the spam.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Spammers

• I agree. At least one mod could ban them by now.
  • Or at least have someone assigned to monitor the boards on weekends.  It seems like the spammers have figured out there's no one to ban them on weekends so they ramp it up then.  
  • Thank you for the heads up. We're in discussion about the weekend spamming problem as well as new moderator roles as we work on the rest of our updates.
  • Thank you for the heads up. We're in discussion about the weekend spamming problem as well as new moderator roles as we work on the rest of our updates.
    Thank you. So does this mean mods will eventually be back in some capacity?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I can't make any promises right now since everything is a group decision.
  • It's really a shame that all these spammers and vendors are getting through.  I flag, but it's often days before something is done.  One I had flagged 5 days earlier and it was still up and I finally paged KP.  The 24 hour review of flags apparently by TK apparently isn't working.  

It's also a shame that everything at TK has to be a group decision.  One of the things my company encourages is employees taking ownership and making decisions without seeking approval every step of the way.  It empowers employees and gets things done a lot faster!  
  • I have a feeling, they won't put previous mods back up, but maybe choose new mods.
  • I have a feeling they don't even look at flags unless you page them.
  • There's a bug in our system that won't let us review all flagged posts which is understandably frustrating for everyone. This and the removal of undeserved flags are at the top of our priority list with tech. 

Since I do not have a timeline for the fix yet, I can only ask that people continue to @ tag me if you see anything being missed as we continue to follow up with problem.
  • I don't even care if my flags get removed. I get a giggle out of the absurdity of it all when I look and see what crimes I've commited against the special snowflakes who can't manage to figure out what the flag button is actually for.

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • There's another vote for reinstating mods or selecting new ones. A mod could review flags for their specific board(s), taking the pressure off TK and making everyone's lives easier. Rather than waiting until a post has five flags, waiting for someone at TK to see it, waiting for them to review it, waiting for them to take some kind of action...

We could page a mod, who could come into the thread, warn the person immediately(ish) and take care of it. 

TK has to delegate a little. 
  • DivinewordsDivinewords member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    @KnotPorscha I am new to this forum. I created a post about my personal blog which has entries I've written about my experiences planning a DIY wedding, and I was flagged as "spam". According to the terms of The Knot, you are allowed to link to a personal blog. I was pretty offended by the fact my profile has me labeled as a spammer. Needless to say, I will be staying off the Knot community boards. Not very friendly people in this community...
  • http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/981923/new-beautiful-barn-venue-outside-of-ft-worth-the-oak-knoll-ranch#latest

This is an advertising post, which I've always understood to be against TOS.  I tagged all three KGs and flagged the post but nothing's been done.

I get that five flags are required but sometimes on a board that's as slow as DFW usually is, it's going to take a while to get five.
    Anniversary

• @proffesorscience Just saw the post and removed it, thank you. I am working with tech to lower the number of flags to 1 because clearly we are missing posts and need to make the change asap.

@Divinewords your post linking to you personal blog is totally fine. It does not violate our TOS.

We are working hard on fixing our flag review system and will remove any undeserved flags as soon as we can.
  • @Divinewords

It used to be that links to blogs were not allowed. People were probably marking you as spam not knowing there had been changes to the TOS regarding this. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • The members were rude. Typical attitude in the "Offbeat" crowd...I wish there was at least ONE wedding community online that is not stuck up or snarky.
  • I just read the thread, and so b/c TWO people didn't dig your peacock blog, you're going to leave TK?  OK, then. 

• DivinewordsDivinewords member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    @AddieL73...I think you have it backwards--they flagged my post because they didn't like it. Not because it violated the terms. Now when people check my profile, it will indicate I am a spammer when I am actually a member of the forum. If you don't like it, so be it...that's cool. Move on to a new post...I'm just saying, if you have a community who flags you when you post, why would you want to stay?

• In my initial response to you, I explained that they probably flagged you b/c it used to be against TOS to link to your blog. Your response to me was that the posters were rude, which indicated to me that you didn't care what the reason was, that people were rude, and that THAT was why you were planning to leave. Now you're back on the flag issue. Which is it?

If someone goes to your profile, they can see ALL your posts and see that you're not ZOMG A SPAMMER WITH TWO FLAGS! 

I would be more concerned about being banned for ACTUALLY breaking TOS by calling someone a "douchebag hater" in the Photography Edit thread on Chit Chat. 

Isn't that against TOS @KnotJackie @KnotPorscha

• Yeah, I'm more concerned about the personal attack than the crappy blog. 
  • manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    Just would like to put it out there that I didn't flag anything last night. I didn't even flag when I legitimately could for being called a douchebag.

ETA: All these stupid rampant accusations of "You flagged me!" Would also go away if the TK would just force its users to own up to their actions by keeping flags public. If I am legitimately flagging a post for abuse or spam, I don't care who sees it. The only reason I would want to hide a flag is because I'm all upset about a meanie poster and want to flag inappropriately.
  • @proffesorscience Just saw the post and removed it, thank you. I am working with tech to lower the number of flags to 1 because clearly we are missing posts and need to make the change asap.

@Divinewords your post linking to you personal blog is totally fine. It does not violate our TOS.

We are working hard on fixing our flag review system and will remove any undeserved flags as soon as we can.
    Woah, wait, what? Does that mean OUR posts will "hide" after 1 flag too? Because if that's the case, you can plan for me to stop being patient about all the BS flags I keep getting from butthurt newbies. I will go back to raising holy hell and I am willing to bet I won't be alone. I would much rather deal with spammers than have legitimate posts hidden every time someone "misunderstands" what the flag button is for. @KnotJackie, @KnotPorscha
    I agree, as well.  I certainly don't MIND having to come here or tag a KA or PM someone to get a post taken down.  Like I said, the boards I frequent have spammers so rarely that it is pretty much a nonissue.  There's definitely a problem if regular, TOS-abiding members are being punished by the flagging system just because someone doesn't like the content of their speech.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards