Wedding Reception Forum

Small Barn Reception

I'm freaking out. Today, I went to a concert at the barn the some family friends had offered for free for the reception. I really want to use it - because it's FREE! and because it's super cute! Anyways, there are a few things that I am concerned about. They said that it can hold about 150 people. My guest list so far is about 250. I will be cutting that after discussing it with my fiancé. There wouldn't be space for lots of tables and dancing, but maybe a cocktail reception. I would provide some chairs, but my Dad was saying that there wouldn't be enough chairs for everyone, but that would be fine (I'm not sure what I think about this). I want my wedding to still be a nice affair. We will be having family and friends come from out of town and I want to make sure that just having a cocktail reception (like a tea before lunch or just desserts after dinner) would be ok. It will be during the summer and would probably be too hot during the middle of the day. I really like the idea of having some benches or picnic tables outside too. I don't know how I can include the outdoors more so that more people are likely to be outside too, or how to spread out the headcount. I just don't want it to seem crammed. Any thoughts on this idea? Concerns?

Re: Small Barn Reception

• You need a chair for every bottom. No exceptions. 

Don't invite over 150 if that's the barn's capacity.The good thing about cocktail receptions is that people tend to shuffle around more. I think tables and benches outside the barn would be a good idea. If you do evening, have you thought about lighting? You want to make sure people can see where they are walking around.

The heat could be a concern - especially if your guests include kids and elderly folks. Does this barn have fans? If not, you might want to consider renting a couple of those huge ones just to keep air moving. How hot will it be? Is humidity a factor?

Cocktail receptions are fine as long as they aren't at a meal time (between 11-1 or 5-8 in my mind - others might have different time ranges). So make sure you start your ceremony at an appropriate time.

Is the barn easily accessible from where your guests will be parking? 
  • Do you think some of the seating for the head count can be outdoors? Or should all of it have to be indoors?
    We do have fans and there is parking right there. 
    I just don't know how to make sure it is comfortable and encourage mingling outside? 
  • I think you should have adequate seating available inside - otherwise it's kind of like you're telling some guests their not worth being in the main area, you know?

I think if you put tables outside, people will probably venture there all on their own. Especially if the barn will be a little crowded. Could you have a bonfire outside with a s'more bar maybe?

Are you having alcohol? You could place the bar outside. How are you serving hor d'oeuvres? Passed, stations, etc?

Otherwise, don't worry too much about people mingling. They're adults, they'll do just fine on their own. 
  • I was wanting to do stations or a buffet table. We will not be having alcohol, but I may still choose to put drinks outside. I was thinking of putting a toss table downstairs at the entrance/exit. 
    Should I provide activities such as a photobooth outdoors? There will also be lots of kids, so I figured they would probably end up running around entertaining themselves haha
  • You could put activities outside. If you wanted to go full swing rustic/backyard you could grab some yard games like cornhole, bocce ball, croquet, etc. 

I would ask your caterer the best way to serve food/drinks. They're good with logistics - it's part of their job. 
  • In all of the discussions above, I don't see any mention of weather. What if it rains? Are you going to be supplying tents outside? If the venue "holds" 150, but that doesn't allow for tables and room for dancing, in spite of the fact it is free, you are limiting yourself. You need an area to set up for a bar or food, meaning tables for that, plus tables & chairs for people (even if they are stand up mixed in with eating tables). If you set up tents, tables and chairs outside (not free, they can be quite expensive), you will be splitting the guests up. I don't see this as fatal to your plan, but then you lose the "free" aspect.

You MUST have a seat for every person invited. No exceptions. It's rude to expect people to not have somewhere to sit when they attend. Yes they will mingle, and some will be standing, but they all need a place to sit.

If this were me, and I wanted a free venue, I'd go to the venue with a wedding consultant or coordinator I hired (because you are going to need someone to arrange all the details besides yourself) and get their opinion on how many people will fit with tables, chairs, and tables for food, and possibly a dance floor. They do this for a living, and depending on your geographic area, could be as little as $500 for a DOC (day of coordinator). You may have to whittle down your guest list further in order to afford to host a reception at this venue. But it makes sense to go in with a real expert so you are not trying to fit chairs, tables and rented tents in an acceptable manner on your wedding day. They can also assist you in how to set this up indoors and out so your guests, you and your fiance and your family have a day to remember.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards