Chit Chat

Wedding Superstition - Is it bad luck for 2 sisters to get married the same year?

I'm Greek Orthodox.  My sister is getting married May 2014 and I'm getting married September 2014 (the same year.)  My mom's friend told my mom that me and my sister should not get married the same year because it is bad luck.  This is really upseting me because I can be superstitious at times but this superstition I never heard of!  Is this true? Had anyone heard of that superstition or know 2 sisters that got married within the same year and they are doing great now?  i dont want to have my wedding in 2015. :(

Re: Wedding Superstition - Is it bad luck for 2 sisters to get married the same year?

• I've never heard of this before.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've never heard of this.
  • I've never heard of this either, and I come from a very superstitious Italian family, haha.

I wouldn't let it upset you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't let it bother you! I've never heard of that superstition but you and your sister getting married in the same year is going to have zero effect on how much you and your FI love each other and it won't change the amount of work and effort you put into your marriage. If anything, I would look on it as a great thing! You get to share wedding planning and excitement with your sister, plus if you both have kids they'll probably be really close in age! I have about 15 female cousins, and we're all between 22-31. Every single one of them are some of my closest friends and you and your sister could have that with your kids if you have them. I think it's a great reason to celebrate! Congratulations on your wedding and enjoy the planning :)
  • Yes it causes horrible luck. When more than one sibling gets married in a year it angers Smuki, the Khalasar demon spirit. To exact revenge he will curse your marriages. All of your children will be born with crooked teeth that will cost you thousands of dollars at the orthodontist. Your spouses will also develop an unquenchable desire to use the phrase "totes" whenever they wish to respond to something in the affirmative. It is a terrible curse. 

However fear not, if one of you mutters the incantation "I will not let my life be guided by superstitious nonsense" at some point during your wedding reception the curse will likely be broken. I recommend that at least one of you is married close to a full moon, as Smuki is most easily appeased during this period of the lunar calendar. 
    i have a stomach ache from trying not to literally LOL at work!
    Anniversary
  • What do you consider bad luck? 

I have 3 sets of sibling cousins get married within a year of each other.   The first set have been married 36 years.  The second set are no longer married.  One due to a death after 20+ years.  The other's husband turned out to be a closet gambler and almost gambled the house away.  The third set have been married for 23 years.

I'm thinking no but if you really want to read into it I guess you can use the 2nd set as proof it's bad luck?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • This required 2 message boards to answer this question. (Clicky)
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Yes it causes horrible luck. When more than one sibling gets married in a year it angers Smuki, the Khalasar demon spirit. To exact revenge he will curse your marriages. All of your children will be born with crooked teeth that will cost you thousands of dollars at the orthodontist. Your spouses will also develop an unquenchable desire to use the phrase "totes" whenever they wish to respond to something in the affirmative. It is a terrible curse. 

However fear not, if one of you mutters the incantation "I will not let my life be guided by superstitious nonsense" at some point during your wedding reception the curse will likely be broken. I recommend that at least one of you is married close to a full moon, as Smuki is most easily appeased during this period of the lunar calendar. 
    Won't Smuki be cheesed that you are giving away his secrets? I think you can expect to be cursed with the occasional bout of BO now. Smuki is a spiteful god.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• @HoorayForSoup

Oh, yes I know that particular Smuki wrath well.....  *gets some red wine*
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• @Peledreamsofrain

Smuki will actually be pleased at my making his wishes known. I am however incurring his wrath for drinking red wine during a waxing crescent phase of the moon. I also failed to offer proper homage to the nymph of beans before eating my burrito, a slight for which I am sure to suffer indigestion. 
    That explains so much.  Must do some research before my next Chipotle fix...

• My cousins got married 3 months apart on opposite ends of the country.  I think you are fine. 

@Hoorayforsoup Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us.  I am glad to know of Smuki's wrath.  This explains many things about my life that were previously unexplained.  Hopefully if I dance naked with pickled leeches under a crescent moon I will be able to stop my leg hair from growing.  Smuki is a tough god to follow. 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• dem068dem068 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    uh oh, my brother and I are getting married 4 months apart.. we should both cancel our weddings right?!?!?!    If anything, the wedding planning is easier for the 2nd sibling (i.e. I already had compiled the list of people from our side with all their addresses and send them that along with other lists of stuff I did).  So pretty sure 2 weddings in one year means nothing other than it might be easier for the 2nd person to plan.
  • Just ask Stevie Wonder. He'll tell you...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've never heard of this before
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards