Wedding Reception Forum

Alcohol on a budget

So we have a small budget for our wedding, about $3000. We would love to have drinks at the wedding.  We cannot afford to have an open bar.
What I was thinking was having bowls (Very clearly marked) of different adult punches. A rum punch, a vodka punch, etc. And I am brewing my own beer. 
Does this sound tacky? What do people think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Alcohol on a budget

• I think beer and wine are more reliable crowd pleasers than punch. Could you do your brew, a commercial beer, a red and a white? How many people? How long? What time of day?
  • So we have a small budget for our wedding, about $3000. We would love to have drinks at the wedding.  We cannot afford to have an open bar.
    What I was thinking was having bowls (Very clearly marked) of different adult punches. A rum punch, a vodka punch, etc. And I am brewing my own beer. 
    Does this sound tacky? What do people think?
    I think it's a great idea.  They are called "signature drinks".  I would probably do a beverage dispenser instead of a bowl though. You can get them from Bed Bath & Beyond, or Target or Walmart for less than $20.00.  Maybe do a Vodka & pink lemonade and a rum drink and also, if you can swing it, provide beer and a cheapo wine for the guests that don't want hard liquor.  If you do bottled beer, you can start stocking up when you see it on sale (a case here and there).  You can find inexpensive, decent wine also.  Barefoot is a decent one that is usually less than $5.00 a bottle.  If you have a Trader Joes in your area, you can get Charles Shaw for $2.00-3.00 a bottle.
  • i would do one punch, one beer, red and white wine.

head to your local wine store and pick the guys brain as to what's good and inexpensive. you can generally get a discount if you buy a cas

• Everything @cmgilpin said. I think it sounds good -just use cute dispensers instead of bowls. If you can wait until August/September, hit up Target and Walmart for dispensers. They always put them on clearance at the end of the summer. 

Find a liquor store that will let you return unopened bottles in case you end up with left overs.  
  • I think having a limited bar the way you suggest is fine, and if your venue allows it, bringing in your own punch and beer should be fine.  You might want to have fewer punches and more beers though, depending on your guests' tastes. You might also want to have a couple of wines.

• I agree with @cmgilpin - beverage dispensers will make it much easier and cleaner. And Trader Joe's has like $2 wine that you can get discounts on if you buy it by the box.
  • Also Aldi has decent wine for less than $3 a bottle if there's one near you
    Cleaning up unicorn messes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards