Favors
Options

Smores

Getting married at a summer camp. The reception is planned to go well into the night. At some point, around 9ish, we will be having a bonfire with smores makings...sort of like a second dessert. 
For my favor I am thinking of doing 2 graham crackers, marshmallow, and chocolate, in a cellophane bag. 
Good idea? bad idea? Other summer camp reception related favor ideas?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Smores

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Getting married at a summer camp. The reception is planned to go well into the night. At some point, around 9ish, we will be having a bonfire with smores makings...sort of like a second dessert. 
    For my favor I am thinking of doing 2 graham crackers, marshmallow, and chocolate, in a cellophane bag. 
    Good idea? bad idea? Other summer camp reception related favor ideas?

That's really not a favor since you're planning it as a "late night snack" anyways. Just have the supplies set out for smores on a table. Some people might want six, some won't want any.

Without knowing much about the rest of your reception, it's a bit difficult to suggest a favor. It doesn't need to be "summer camp" themed, that's for sure!

• Options
    The smores for the late night snack are not the ones that are the favor. The favors would be set aside for people to take with them at the end of the night. At the camp fire, people would be free to have as many or as few as they wanted. 
    The wedding is super relaxed and low key. People will be there all weekend, doing summer camp type things (like canoeing, archery etc). The reception is buffet style BBQ. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    The smores for the late night snack are not the ones that are the favor. The favors would be set aside for people to take with them at the end of the night. At the camp fire, people would be free to have as many or as few as they wanted
    The wedding is super relaxed and low key. People will be there all weekend, doing summer camp type things (like canoeing, archery etc). The reception is buffet style BBQ. 

I know you mean well, but this sounds kind of silly, to be honest. "Oh you just made twenty s'mores at the campfire?! Here's a little cello baggie with supplies for one s'more for you to take home with you!"  You really don't need to have favors.

Out of curiousity...how does a wedding at a summer camp work? What if guests don't want to stay there? I'm not a camper myself, so I would only want to attend your ceremony and reception and not participate in the other activities...

• Options
    mandibride2bemandibride2be member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013
    I love that idea but i don't know if it is really considered a favor if it will be used DURING the wedding. Some people debate this concept all the time.

I got an idea to go off of that
    Buy martini glasses at dollartree or online. 
    There are other styles but this one is my favorite:

Optional Design - Then get some etching cream from michaels and get a sticker - any design you want intital, hearts, or even some stencils for a fancy design.  There are videos on youtube.

Purchase those tiny sample bottles of marshmallow flavored vodka:

Put mini bottle inside of martini glass - wrap glass with some pretty tulle (maybe color of wedding) tie with ribbon and a tag that says thank you and other side recipe for a s'mores martini - just google recipes and find you favorite one.

If you do not want to purchase martini glasses you can probably substitute with graham crackers and marshmallows and decorate it the same way.

• Options
    I wouldn't do it.  Graham crackers go stale REALLY quickly.  It's a really cute idea though.  I love that you're getting married at a summer camp and having smores as your second dessert!
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. I love, love, love smores, and I would be eating my fill of them at the reception. I wouldn't want one to take with me, though, mostly b/c smores in the microwave or over my stove are just not the same. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    itzMS said:

Out of curiousity...how does a wedding at a summer camp work? What if guests don't want to stay there? I'm not a camper myself, so I would only want to attend your ceremony and reception and not participate in the other activities...

We are inviting people to come Friday and partake in camp things. They'll be welcome to do activities Saturday while we prepare for the wedding. People can stay in cabins or local hotels. Some people will be there all weekend while others will come for a few hours for the ceremony. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

if you want to do an edible favor, how about cookies - they'll last longer than the s'mores fixings...  Oatmeal cookies with chocolate and marshmallow in them would be reminiscent of s'mores, or you could do sugar cookies decorated with your summer camp theme...

Or they don't really have to tie into your theme - no one's going to complain about a gift of cookies  :)

• Options
    If you are trying to keep it "camp" themed, why not do pocket flashlights, or swiss army knives or something like that. Or even those headlamp things. Or a compass? Just spitballing some ideas for you. 

But whatever you decide, I'd stay away from the s'mores favors.

Oh, last idea: make your own trail mix/or granola. You could even put it tiny mason jars to dress it up. Or bags with a ribbon and a cute note. (Thats my favorite idea so far) :)
  • Options
    Camp themed is okay, but chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers together don't strike me as good favors, because the chocolate and marshmallows can melt and the graham crackers can go stale.
  • Options
    I think s'more-flavored cookie is a good way to go!

Random FYI, since I'm assuming you're outdoorsy, if you have a lot of vegetarian guests many of us don't eat marshmallows. I would not be at all offended by your favor, and FI would be thrilled to eat mine too, but it's just something to think about if you happen to have a high vegetarian percentage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards