Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

rude to leave a shower early?

I have my fiance's cousin's bridal shower Saturday morning. It starts at 9 am. So I am assuming it probably goes until around noon. Is it rude to head out a little early? My fiance works in the town where the shower is but needs to be picked up from work at 11 Saturday morning because one of our cars is in the shop.

So I was planning on heading out right at 11 but then thought.... well is that rude? I've been to plenty of showers but they were all either showers I was hosting or at least assisting with so I always stayed right up until the end and never really noticed if guests took of a little early.

Appreicate the advise!

Re: rude to leave a shower early?

• Options
    No it is not rude.  If you can only stay till 11 then you can only stay to 11.  Just make sure to say goodbye to the bride and the host and thank them for inviting you.  Then make your way out.  You are never obligated to stay till the end of any party.

• Options

Two of my dad's cousins had to leave my shower early because of another obligation.  I was happy they were there for the time they were.  I made sure to open their gifts while they were still there.

I was not offended, but I guess it could depend on the bride.

• Options
    Just let the host know that you need to head out early and thank them and bid farewell to the bride before you head out. I don't see anything rude about having to leave after two hours.
  • Options
    You're good to leave early if you need to - follow Maggie's advice and don't try to slip out (thank the host, say goodbye to the bride, etc.).
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I agree with PPs, as long as you let people know in advance, it's totally fine.  They'll understand.

Someone had to leave my shower early, after about an hour or so.  She left while I was opening gifts, and we made sure to open hers while she was there.  I wasn't offended at all, and neither were the hosts.  I was really happy that she was able to come, even if she couldn't stay long.

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Absolutely fine. Just keep an "eye" on the clock. For example, if there's a lull in the action at 10:50, it might be best to leave then versus disrupting a game at exacly 11:00.
  • Options

okay perfect! Thanks for the help.

I'm actually kind of bummed I have to leave early. I think it'll be fun to finally attend a shower that I wasn't hosting.

• Options
    Not rude. What I'm thinking is who freaking has a shower at 9am? I get wanting brunch, but geeze. 
  • Options
    Not rude. What I'm thinking is who freaking has a shower at 9am? I get wanting brunch, but geeze. 
    Lol, I thought the EXACT same thing when I got the invitation. Funny thing is the bride didn't even really want a shower from what she told me, but her future in laws insisted. My mom is hosting mine and I ask her nicely not to do it before noon.
  • Options
    It is fine, just give the bride and hostess a heads up so they know you aren't leaving because you are bored, hate them, and can't stand another gift opening or silly game.
    This is what I was going to say, too!
  • Options
    Can he just hang out at work and read a book for an hour? I don't think it's rude to leave early, but if 11am falls in the middle of gift opening I would find it rude to interrupt the party and leave then.
  • Options
    WORD!  I am planning my sister's shower, we thought brunch would be a good idea, and I felt badly for starting at 11:30.  9am on a Saturday would be a tough sell for me as a guest.
  • Options
    I thought this too.  9am on a Saturday is too damn early for anything let alone a bridal shower.

• Options
    Can he just hang out at work and read a book for an hour? I don't think it's rude to leave early, but if 11am falls in the middle of gift opening I would find it rude to interrupt the party and leave then.

Normally I would say yes and tell him to just chill out in the breakroom for an hour, but he's a police officer and he's working a double. So going in at 3pm Friday and working til 11am Saturday and then has to be back at 7pm Saturday night so I feel bad asking him to lose an hour of sleep. Especially since he's pulling the OT for our wedding that is 4 months away.

That's mainly what I was worried about was getting up and taking off in the middle of gift opening. Hopefully if I give them a heads up it won't be akward.

• Options
    No she should be giving thanks to you for  taking the time out of your tight day to share with her.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    Oh in that case def go get him! And if you are all sitting around try and snag a seat by the door.
  • Options
    Aside from the issue of a 9am bridal shower (wow, that's early), I think that as long as you let the hostess know that you have to leave early, you're in the clear.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards