Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Babies galore

We have numerous friends with babies ranging in age from  4 months to 10 months. We have received an RSVP so far that said the couples name and 
"Baby ____".
My opinion and feelings are that if we let all friends with babies than we are going to have a daycare wedding party. I really don't want to hurt feelings, but I know for a fact that this baby stays 40hrs a week in daycare, so I'm thinking an evening with a sitter isn't asking too much. My FI said he will call and address it. I have a wedding website, under Accomodations there are hotels listed and a link for BABYSITTERS. Then is says ADULTS ONLY WEDDING. Does anyone have other suggestions on where I can put this info? Should I put it under Ceremony/Reception too?  I may tell a friend with a young baby (4.5 months old) that she could bring her. I know she doesn't have family in the area. 
Thoughts?

I know this is a touchy subject

Re: Babies galore

• Options
    I think if you let one, you need to let all. I'm not a mother, but at 4 months, I would probably decline from attending if my baby wasn't invited. How did you address the invitations?

Also, it's rude to point out who isn't invited. Leave adults only off all wedding related things. 
  • Options
    Like you said, this is a touchy subject, and some people will not be willing to let strangers babysit their babies, especially if they're under 1 year old.  You can suggest it, but be prepared for people to refuse.  It looks like you've already sent out invitations without inviting the babies, but again, be prepared to say "We'll miss you" to anyone who refuses to come without their baby or leave it with a sitter.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    We have numerous friends with babies ranging in age from  4 months to 10 months. We have received an RSVP so far that said the couples name and 
    "Baby ____".
    My opinion and feelings are that if we let all friends with babies than we are going to have a daycare wedding party. I really don't want to hurt feelings, but I know for a fact that this baby stays 40hrs a week in daycare, so I'm thinking an evening with a sitter isn't asking too much. My FI said he will call and address it. I have a wedding website, under Accomodations there are hotels listed and a link for BABYSITTERS. Then is says ADULTS ONLY WEDDING. Does anyone have other suggestions on where I can put this info? Should I put it under Ceremony/Reception too?  I may tell a friend with a young baby (4.5 months old) that she could bring her. I know she doesn't have family in the area. 
    Thoughts?

I know this is a touchy subject

First of all, it's very rude to indicate "Adults only wedding"

If someone RSVPs with a child who is not invited, call the person and say "Susie, I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding, but the invitation was only intended for you and John. We're unable to accomodate Timmy and Sammy"

Be careful about just letting some people bring babies and children...especially now that you've incorrectly advertised that your wedding is "Adults only" on your website.

• Options
    Just call them and say there was a misunderstanding and the invite was only for Sally and John.

Don't put anywhere who is not invited.
  • Options
    Did you address the invitation just to the parents? If so, then I would call them and apologize for the misunderstanding, tell them the invitation was just for those listed and unfortunately you cannot accommodate extra guests but you still hope to see them at the wedding. I also would take down " Adults only reception" from the website. It's rude to point out who isn't invited.
  • Options

Just call them and say there was a misunderstanding and the invite was only for Sally and John.

Don't put anywhere who is not invited.

This. Well said, @misshart00. Take that off your website and then call the guests to explain that unfortunately you can only accommodate the two of them and you hope they can still make it.

• Options
    Take the "Adults Only" off of the website - if you addressed the invitation to Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, then you've already essentially told them that their child is not welcomed. I'd call and politely explain that the invitation was meant for them only and you cannot accommodate little Susie, but you hope to see Mr. and Mrs. John Smith at the wedding!

You're not required to invite the babies, but people may decline.
  • Options
    I have this same problem.  My FI did his wedding list and just for his family and friends including their kids would be over 100 people and 60 or more would have been kids.  For budget reason we can just not accommodate all those children. I was told when I asked a similar question to just simply call and explain to them that children are not going to be a possible guest at your wedding.  We are still dealing with this issue because we want everyone to be able to attend.  We are considering hiring someone and paying them some money to babysit during the wedding but we can't have 60 kids for the girl to watch.  We have our own kids who are in the wedding but after dinner they will be leaving.  Just make sure you explain to them you want them to come but you just can't accommodate children at your wedding at this time.
  • Options
    Okay thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards