Wedding Reception Forum

Signature Drink

Looking for some help with a (Free) signature cocktail idea.  Wedding is outdoors & rustic country themed... below is a picture of the drink dispenser I got from the knot wedding shop... I was going to do a fruity sangria that I make with lots of fruit (visually appealing) however I know a lot of the guests are not wine drinkers... so I thought maybe a fruity cocktail... then thought maybe some fun for the champagne toast... googled different things and now I don't know what to make... want it to be visually appealing in the jar though and also outdoor summer wedding appropriate.... any help is appreciated!!

Re: Signature Drink

• Make it free and sangria's always tasty.
  • Yes I planned on free... and I love Sangria, Love it... but I know that only a handful of guests share my love for it... even though not to toot my own horn, I make some damn good sangria!
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013

Another option I love is pomegranate juice, ginger ale, and vodka. Super refreshing. You can garnish with lemon slices.

Make sure to not charge for a cup, though.  

• @Princessbride2016:  I did show my fiancé the backlash received for the cash bar. We are in the process of reviewing the set-up and will be doing open at-least during cocktail and dinner...

@itzms - I love pomegranate, that sounds yummy - I'll have to run a test this weekend, thanks!

• I'm not sure how you do your sangria, but I've always topped off my glasses with a sparking wine float to give it some fizz and if you use a spumante, it takes away some of that wine taste. Another idea might be a spiked strawberry lemonade or something. Pureed strawberries and citrus vodka mixed in is really tasty.
  • manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    We sometimes do a citrusy sangria and will throw in some orange liqueur and prosecco (or really any sparkling wine). It cuts back on the wine taste but is still really yummy. 

ETA: Also really glad you are exploring non-cash bar options. 
  • edited June 2013
    I'm not sure how you do your sangria, but I've always topped off my glasses with a sparking wine float to give it some fizz and if you use a spumante, it takes away some of that wine taste. Another idea might be a spiked strawberry lemonade or something. Pureed strawberries and citrus vodka mixed in is really tasty.
    I make a very fruity Sangria - I use moscato or pinot grigio depending on my mood, brandy (last time it was blackberry brandy) Seagram's ginger ale and A LOT of fruit... last time I made it I used lemon, lime, strawberry, orange, blackberry, plums and raspberries... it was a big hit... and everyone that was there last time will be at the wedding... but it was a small girls night in last time... should I think about two signature cocktails? a His & Hers?
  • PDKH said:
    We sometimes do a citrusy sangria and will throw in some orange liqueur and prosecco (or really any sparkling wine). It cuts back on the wine taste but is still really yummy. 

Sounds interesting... I feel like I'm going to have a boozy upcoming weekend HAHA!!
  • I'm very happy to hear you won't be charging your guests for alcohol now. You've averted a tacky disaster that your guests might've always associated with you!

I would vote for Sangria, but my guests would prefer a spiked punch. I just made an amazing sangria and a lot of people didn't drink it at the last party I had. I was sad.

What if you did a punch and a sangria?
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• PDKH said:

Yeah mine marinades in oranges, lemons, limes, berries and cointreau overnight
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• I'm not sure how you do your sangria, but I've always topped off my glasses with a sparking wine float to give it some fizz and if you use a spumante, it takes away some of that wine taste. Another idea might be a spiked strawberry lemonade or something. Pureed strawberries and citrus vodka mixed in is really tasty.
    I make a very fruity Sangria - I use moscato or pinot grigio depending on my mood, brandy (last time it was blackberry brandy) Seagram's ginger ale and A LOT of fruit... last time I made it I used lemon, lime, strawberry, orange, blackberry, plums and raspberries... it was a big hit... and everyone that was there last time will be at the wedding... but it was a small girls night in last time... should I think about two signature cocktails? a His & Hers?

MuppetFan said:
    PDKH said:

Yeah mine marinades in oranges, lemons, limes, berries and cointreau overnight
    @MuppetFan, the day I discovered Cointreau was one of the best days in my booze-mixing life. 
  • MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    it makes a difference. don't cheap out on triple sec. it doesn't work. blech
    image   imageimage

• you wrote 'visually appealing' 2x in your post. imo forget how appealing it looks and just serve a great drink. if it's delicous no one will care what it looks like.

• WEll, i think the reason she got the glass dispenser is to make it pretty. I would do that. Fruit makes beverages pretty.

image   imageimage

• you wrote 'visually appealing' 2x in your post. imo forget how appealing it looks and just serve a great drink. if it's delicous no one will care what it looks like.
    MuppetFan said:
    WEll, i think the reason she got the glass dispenser is to make it pretty. I would do that. Fruit makes beverages pretty.

@MuppetFan is 100% correct... I worked in the restaurant industry for 10+ years and always found that when you make something "look pretty" people appreciate it more and sometimes it even tricks them into thinking it is better quality... when I was in school one of my chefs always said its all about the garnish!

@Liatris2010 - Thanks for the input - I think I will do a His & Hers - my MOH has a similar serving dispenser... I'm going to go with Sangria because it seems to be popular in the thread but what are good "his" drinks?        

• Well it's all about the flavor, but presentation makes things more appealing. 

His and Hers sound great.  MY FI would say downhome punch, margaritas, spiked lemonade or arnold palmers, long island iced tea
    image   imageimage

• MuppetFan said:
    Well it's all about the flavor, but presentation makes things more appealing. 

His and Hers sound great.  MY FI would say downhome punch, margaritas, spiked lemonade or arnold palmers, long island iced tea
    My FI is a big Arnold Palmer fan... maybe I'll go with that since it has a little more kick to it... thanks!
  • My FI is also a big Arnold Palmer fan, I'd say a spiked one would be great and give your guests a good variety to pick from
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Sweet tea vodka and iced tea.  If you put the lemon slices in there...it will be reminiscent of an Arnold Palmer
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I asked FI, he said definitely Arnold Palmer. What does youd fi say? His and Her drinks are cute. I might use that idea to label ours (Mimosas and Bloody Mary's) for our brunch
    image   imageimage

• MuppetFan said:
    I asked FI, he said definitely Arnold Palmer. What does youd fi say? His and Her drinks are cute. I might use that idea to label ours (Mimosas and Bloody Mary's) for our brunch

He's a fan... I asked him how he felt about Arnold Palmer style drink being one of the signature drinks and his response was "is that a real question" haha.... thanks for all the help!
  • Thank you for considering our advice.
    image   imageimage

• agree the his and hers would be an awesome idea.  As for Sangria, I am not much of a wine drinker (at least not my first choice) and a friends wedding was at a winery with just wine served--they also had this pomegranate Sangria that was AMAZING.  My husband and I still talk about it to this day and was the best Sangria I ever had-- that said, if it tastes good people will drink it even if its not their favorite!  

Anniversary
  • s2005s2005 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Love the sangria idea!
  • i made a "sangria" once using champagne, elderflower liquor and several fruits (kiwi, strawberries, blueberries) it wasnt too sweet but very refreshing. Just a thought. It turned out really good
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards