Registry and Gift Forum

Would you register at Home Depot?

We have been together almost 7 years.  During this time we lived in a small apartment together for 6 years.  We just moved into our first house.  We realized that though we were together for that amount of time we really didn't have much to fill this large house.  So today we registered at Bed Bath & Beyond for upgrades to items we had cheaper versions of or new items we never really bought ourselves.  We were told by several people that since we moved into a new house we should register at a home self improvement place too such as Home Depot, Lowe's or Menard's.  We have yet to venture there, but we had no clue what would be good items to get there besides a lawn mower, maybe?  Has anyone ever registered there or think this is a good idea?  Just curious on what we could possibly would want to register there for...

Re: Would you register at Home Depot?

• My FI and I discussed registering at Sears.  We don't need a ton of sheets, towels, etc. but could use some tools.  We ended up not doing it, but I'm sure it would have been popular with some of my male cousins, for example.  If you do go that route, I would make sure the Sears registry has a variety of items- more traditional household stuff in addition to tools.  But my bottom line is I want to give a gift that the couple will actually use and enjoy.  If what you can use are some tools, I say go for it!

• Thank you all for your feedback.  It was really helpful.  I think we will forgo looking at home improvement places.  Our house does not need work at all, but the idea was thrown at us a few times I thought I would put it out there.  I think we will stick with household items more so than stuff to fix house up with.  :-)
  • We had a few tools on our Amazon registry, and they were all purchased (and by our female guests).  
  • My FI and I registered at Sears. The main things we registered for were a lawn mower, edge trimmer, leaf blower, hoses, sprinklers, hose hideaway, screwdriver set, compost tumbler, sewing machine, luggage and a vacuum cleaner. There are a lot of options there. Moving into a house creates all kinds of needs we didn't even know about living in an apartment. They have patio furniture too. Between Sears for the outdoor stuff and Sur La Table for the kitchen essentials it made for a well rounded registry.

• Yes! It makes sense, it is stuff you need for your life and home together. If only Home Depot had a gift registry or The Knot supported a Home Depot registry. 
  • We are doing one at Menards, BBB, and our honeymoon. We really don't have much we need because we've lived  together for years- but we do have a house as of April and we need stuff to help with home improvements. But, I still want to register at BBB for people that want to buy a tangible gift. I just decided I wanted to slip a card in there for anyone who would like to donate to the honeymoon too! :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing one at Menards, BBB, and our honeymoon. We really don't have much we need because we've lived  together for years- but we do have a house as of April and we need stuff to help with home improvements. But, I still want to register at BBB for people that want to buy a tangible gift. I just decided I wanted to slip a card in there for anyone who would like to donate to the honeymoon too! :) 
    No.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • edited February 2014
    We are doing one at Menards, BBB, and our honeymoon. We really don't have much we need because we've lived  together for years- but we do have a house as of April and we need stuff to help with home improvements. But, I still want to register at BBB for people that want to buy a tangible gift. I just decided I wanted to slip a card in there for anyone who would like to donate to the honeymoon too! :) 
    Please don't do this. You should never include any registry cards or info about the registry with your invites. Honeymoon registries are rude enough on their own - people know cash is always an appropriate and appreciated present, you don't need to tell them via a registry.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards