Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Ireland

DH and I are looking into staying at Adare Manor in Ireland in Limerick. Dublin is about 2 hours away apparently. Anyone have any recs of things to do and see in Ireland? We're renting a car so don't mind day trips. 
158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ireland

• Options
    Here are a few of my personal favourites: 
    • Co. Clare:
      Cliffs of Moher (I'd save this for a nice and sunny day)
    • Co.Meath:
      Newgrange
    • Northern Ireland:
      Belfast (do a tour in the black cabs, Titanic Quarter)
      Giant Causeway
      Armagh and its cathedrals
    • Co. Mayo:
      Achill Island 
      County Mayo itself is really really beautiful
    • Co. Galway:
      Kylemore Abbey, Connemara National Park, Ashford Castle,Galway 'city' ,Aran Islands
    • Co. Clare:
      Burren, Cliffs of Moher, a few castles
    • Co. Limerick:
      Limerick
    • Co. Kerry: 
      Ring of Kerry
    • Co. Cork:
      Cork 'city'
      Jameson Heritage Center
    • Co. Tipperary:
      Rock of Cashel

I have to issue a word of warning here though: 
    Even though distances may seem incredibly small, you might need hours to actually get where you want to (stuck behind a tractor, cows/sheep blocking the road), visitor centers, which only can be accessed through one specific road (so you end up seeing the sight, however have to drive another 25km/40minutes to actually be able to access the sight...
    don't drive into Dublin by car it's going to give you a major headache (parking fees are really expensive, the place is jammed as it is... train or commuter busses might be a better option here... 

• Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2013

We had a rental car in Ireland for a week in the fall; while it took getting used to, it wasn't nearly as treacherous as we'd anticipated.

If possible, I would recommend not staying in one location the whole time.  I know you said you don't mind day trips (which really is a must to see and enjoy Ireland IMO), but it may be more worth your while and gas money to stay a few places.  We did a loop and wouldn't have done it any other way.

I blogged about our trip if you're interested. I think it'd be a fanstastic HM!

• Options

driving anywhere new takes getting used to.  rent a car--youll be fine.  just make sure you kno what the signs/markings mean. 

rick steves books always have great recommendations.

• Options
    Agree with others.....we rented a car and managed fine.  We also stayed did a loop staying in several places.....we covered more ground and saw more things that way.  One of my favorites was the Cliffs of Moher.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards