Massachusetts-Boston

Planned Elopement

Hi! New here :)

I just got engaged 6/1 and my fiance and I have decided to do a "planned elopement" in Vegas in April of 2014 with a party back home in May.

I thought planning the party would be easy, but it's proving to be a bit difficult! I want the party to be a fun, laid back kind of thing, but have no idea what kind of venues to look at for such a party. My future FIL suggested a backyard party at his house, and that would be great, if he didn't live so far away or have so many back stairs (my mother and grandmother would never be able to climb all of them - health issues).

We live in Boston on the metro-west side, fiancees family is in the same area as us and my family is mostly south shore. We're going to have about 100-125 guests and since the weather in May is so iffy, fiancee wants and indoor venue. Our budget isn't set in stone, but my parents want to help out as much as possible and his dad gave us some...so maybe, 5k? Is that a joke? Will we need way more? Another thing is I have no idea how to book a venue for a small reception/party. I don't need a wedding package, but need somewhere that has on-site catering. I'm so lost!!

If any of you ladies have any experience with what I'm doing, or know someone that has done this, any info would be appreciated!!!

Re: Planned Elopement

• Have you tried country clubs? There are a ton in the South Shore, usually very town has one. You can also try a hall like a VFW or KofC type of hall and hire a separate caterer. Most places that have a "wedding package" will include things you don't need since you will already be married. All you need is a venue, food, decorations for the venue/tables and some kind of entertainment.
    Anniversary
  • Not sure exactly where the lines for the south shore are (I'm a transplant), but you could take a look at Biagio's in Waltham. I just hosted a small birthday party there for my fiance, so it was on my mind. They have two floors. The second floor sounds like it might be what you're looking for - there is a whole separate bar up there, and a few comfortable couches. They can also set up tables if you want a full dinner. They have a free parking lot behind the restaurant, and an elevator that will go from the parking lot up to the second floor to accommodate your mother and grandmother. The food there is really good, too. I don't know if it can hold 150 people, though. I think it's worth giving them a call - I heard that they also have a third floor, but I haven't seen it. 
  • I would avoid using the word wedding to anywhere you do go. That way they don't charge you the wedding prices.
  • The Scarlet Oak in HIngham has a great room for a party like this.  Not sure you could have a dj or band. Maybe some soft music piped in. i don't know if it is for 150 people.  Take a look just in case....http://www.scarletoaktavern.com/private-dining/past-events/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards