New Jersey
Options

Average Cost for Photographer and DJ??

Hi! 

So I'm just beginning my search for a photographer and DJ. I spoke to a couple photographers so far, and I'm just wondering what the average cost of photographers were for a wedding? Ideally I would love an engagement sitting to be included in the package as well as photo album, many (unlimited would be nice) images... all that good stuff. My fiancé and I are still trying to work out the budget for photographer/DJ/etc., but we are having a hard time narrowing down what the average cost would be for both! Also if you guys have any recommendations that would be fabulous as well ;) !

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit Fall.weddings.com

Re: Average Cost for Photographer and DJ??

• Options
    I am not sure about Photo but for DJs I would say the cost is around $2000-$2500 all depending on what extras you want. Good luck!
  • Options

I don't think there is an "average".  You might as well ask what the average price for a car is so we can ask if you're looking for a Ferarri or a Kia.  There are excellent and creative photographers that can cost as much as $10k or you can get hacks off of CraigsList for a few hundred. 

We budgeted ~$3,500 and spent just about that for the same things you described and are very happy with the quality and professionalism of who we hired (Robert Wayne Photography)

Less sure about DJ's as we're going to do a band, but I guess I'm surprised that they're north of $2k; I thought they were half that.  But don't really know.

• Options
    We semi-splurged on our photographer ($5000), but our DJ was on the lower end ($1250)

Photographer includes two photographers, all digital files, 1 album for us, 2 albums for parents, 100 thank you cards, engagement session, and various prints of photos (I think 1000 art-quality prints in 4 x 6, and some 5 x 7 and 8 x 10s as well.) We chose him based on his work and creativity rather than trying to fit within a budget. (Look for things like no shadows on faces, even lighting throughout the image, the whites of dresses not blown out, the photographer's "eye" in how he captures images, etc. I've seen some expensive photographers take some photos that are very artistic, but not necessarily "good photography.")

DJ is a DJ and assistant for entire dinner portion of reception (we have a separate acoustic guitarist for the cocktail hour). We chose the DJ since we saw him at another wedding and liked his style (we did not want a club atmosphere - just someone non-cheesy who played good music) No lights, no tv monitors, no handouts - just decent music.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I can definitely relate to what your saying about the photography SewInLove...what photographer did you go with? Are you doing any videography? I also feel the same way about the music...who is your DJ?
  • Options
    Like pps stated, I think it really varies, but through my research I've found...

Photographer: $2,000-$9,000 (or even more depending on what you get)

DJ: $1,000-$2,500

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It does vary.

For my DJ I'm paying $3,000
    Photographer is around $4,000
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Who is your Dj we are looking for something similar in a dj

Anniversary

• Options
    Gordo2014 said:

I don't think there is an "average".  You might as well ask what the average price for a car is so we can ask if you're looking for a Ferarri or a Kia.  There are excellent and creative photographers that can cost as much as $10k or you can get hacks off of CraigsList for a few hundred. 

We budgeted ~$3,500 and spent just about that for the same things you described and are very happy with the quality and professionalism of who we hired (Robert Wayne Photography)

Less sure about DJ's as we're going to do a band, but I guess I'm surprised that they're north of $2k; I thought they were half that.  But don't really know.

@gordo2014 yes I realized that lol.. that's why I was just wondering because I'm trying to work out a budget but I'm not sure what they realistically cost. I'm only 22 and the first of all my friends to get married to I was hoping someone could help who has already done some of the leg work before I have! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit Fall.weddings.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit Fall.weddings.com
  • Options
    I can definitely relate to what your saying about the photography SewInLove...what photographer did you go with? Are you doing any videography? I also feel the same way about the music...who is your DJ?
    Our Photographer is Michael Rosengard of North Island Photography in Long Island

We are having a videographer as well, and that is John Jae Videography

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    Oh - I also glossed over the Dj - didn't mean to! His name is Jim McBride and his email is jam32jam@yahoo.com 
    I don't think he has a web site.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    I would say the starting rate for a good and talented photog is 3k and up

For DJ I would say 1250 and up...the 1250 would be for like 4-5 hrs two djs..if add the cocktail hour music or ceremony music you are looking closer to 2k and then when you want stuff like tv's, uplighting I would say nothing under 2500k
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards