Chit Chat

How long does hair and make-up take?

Ok, so I'm a little overwhelmed. I am trying to put together an itinerary for Wedding. Just a rough outline will do for now. That way I can let people know when/where they need be. Also it will help me with appts, and vendor arrivals. Is 2 hours enough time to allow for hair and make-up?

thx!

Re: How long does hair and make-up take?

• For just you or are you including the bridal party and/or moms? How many people total?
  • Ok, so I'm a little overwhelmed. I am trying to put together an itinerary for Wedding. Just a rough outline will do for now. That way I can let people know when/where they need be. Also it will help me with appts, and vendor arrivals. Is 2 hours enough time to allow for hair and make-up?

thx!

It depends on the # of people, the styles you are doing for your hair (up-dos will often take longer), and how quick your stylist is. 

We started around 11:30am to have 5 people ready by 2:30pm

• This is a good question for your salon. First pick a salon, then call and find out their hours, if they can accommodate a party your size, and an estimate on time.

In our group we have 6 people getting hair done and 4 getting make up done. We'll be at the salon from 11-1:30 (2.5 hrs). It's a big salon with a lot of chairs and stylists.
    *********************************************************************************

• My hair stylist did 7 people in 4 hours (mostly just curls, a couple half up/half downs, I was the only up-do) and my MUA did 10 people in 4 hours. 

• This is why I think trials are a good idea, so at least for yourself, you get a better idea of timing. 
  • Like PPs have said, it depends on how many people and the complexity of your hair style(s).

I scheduled my makeup first, because I was having that done last.  She takes an hour to do make up for brides.  Then I asked the person doing my hair how long it would expect to take, based on what I'm doing.  She told me it would take about an hour but to plan on an hour and 15 minutes.  So, I scheduled my hair appt an hour and a half before the makeup one.

Definitely talk to those who are doing the hair and makeup.  They should be able to give you a good estimate of how long it will take.

• I did my own makeup, which took about 20 minutes. My hair took 2 hours. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It took under 2 hours total. SIL did my makeup while my hair was setting in hot rollers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ours took about 5 hours total. I personally took about 3.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My hair, based on my hair trial, took about an hour and a half. Maybe 2 hours. I'm doing my own make up and am allotting 20 minutes for it - I'm also not doing a lot with make up, so it won't take much time.
  • Hair tends to depend on the length and texture. Like, if your hair is naturally straight and you're having it curled, or your hair is curly and you're having it straightened, it will take a while - like the aforementioned 2 hours. My hair is underboob-length and when I had it curled (left down) a couple weeks ago at a salon, it took around 75 minutes - without putting it up.

I'll be cutting about 4 inches off my hair next week so that it's less heavy and my hair will be done up and straight, which is my natural hair texture. Salon estimated around an hour. Which I'll be testing at my trial in two weeks. (yay)
  • We started at 9, and were out the door at 4. That was one girl doing both hair and makeup (obviously goes faster if you have more people) doing me and 2 bridesmaids fully, and doing one girl's eyes only.
  • Swazzle said:
    My hair stylist did 7 people in 4 hours (mostly just curls, a couple half up/half downs, I was the only up-do) and my MUA did 10 people in 4 hours. 
    Great, thanks. This is the kind of info I was looking for. Perfect for my rough estimate itinerary.

Thx
  • For 5 bridesmaids, 2 moms and myself we had hair & make up done for everyone in 4 hours.  My hair took about 1.5 hours and my make up took about 45 min.  All other hair was about 45-1 hr each and 30 min for make up.  We had 2 hair stylists and 1 make up artist.  

Anniversary
  • erinlin25 said:
    For 5 bridesmaids, 2 moms and myself we had hair & make up done for everyone in 4 hours.  My hair took about 1.5 hours and my make up took about 45 min.  All other hair was about 45-1 hr each and 30 min for make up.  We had 2 hair stylists and 1 make up artist.  
    Excellent! Thank you for the info. That is exactly what I was looking for!

P.S. your dress was beautiful (if you haven't heard that enough :) )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards