Getting in Shape

Whining

So, as I mentioned in accountability, I had the misfortune of getting hit by a car during my morning run, on the first day of my resolution to start running before work.  And I feel like I need to whine about it and gather any feedback that I might not be thinking about, because I'm clearly not thinking 100% straight.  I was on the side walk of a pretty busy divided road, and approaching a T intersection where there was a road coming in on my left.  I approached the crosswalk as a car came to the stop sign, and I ran into the crosswalk, thinking she saw me.  Well she saw an opening in the traffic and took the opportunity to gun it and turn right on red, directly into me.  I saw it just in time to get my hands down on the hood, but she had gotten enough speed going that I popped up onto the windshield and came down on the driver's side of the car. 

The driver was a young woman in her late 20s, and she was more shook up than I was at the time.  She's a runner too and apologized profusely and was freaking out.  Being a therapist, I apparently reverted to my instincts and was pretty much consoling her once I picked myself up off the pavement.  We exchanged information, but in my confused brain I didn't call the cops as all I could think of was that I'd be late for work.  Then I had to run the 2 miles home, upon which time it dawned on me what'd happened and I had a little private freak out.  But now I can't file a report because we didn't do it at the scene (I checked with the police a few minutes ago, to see if I could file a report without pressing charges, just to cover me in case any medical problems came up).  Sucks!

My sister has bandaged up my knees and various scrapes on my legs, and I felt ok (not great, but not like anything was broken) until about an hour ago.  Now my back is tightening up and my hips are getting sore.  I called my chiropractor and he's going to see me later today and hopefully do some imaging just to rule out any major problems.  I know I should go to a "real" doctor, and there's an urgent care next to my chiropractor, so perhaps I'll stop in there if necessary, but I really don't want to.  I'm aware that sounds ridiculous, but I hate the hassle of all that, and all I want to do is lay on my couch and wallow in self-pity.  Not that I'm doing that now, because I'm at work, but whatever.

Anyway, I just wanted to complain to my GIS ladies because this sort of sucks... but I'm constantly aware of how much worse it could have been and am thankful it's just some shredded legs and a sore back and hips (hopefully). :(

Re: Whining

• So glad you're okay!  That sounds terrible!

Please please please go just pop by urgent care.  You don't want to find out anything too late, and it will give you better peace of mind about your recovery.

Sending tons of hugs your way!

Anniversary
  • ooooomg I'm so sorry! That's awful.. And totally understandable that it took you a bit for it to all register. That's horrible that you couldn't file a report now :( 
  • @xcalygrl - that's so funny, because I had the completely inappropriate thought while it was happening of "omg, this is exactly what it looks and sounds like in the movies!"  It feels worse though in person...

Thanks for the love and hugs ladies!
  • That really sucks that the police can't do anything to back you up. Do you know if you're able to take legal action (like suing the driver) should you develop a need for physical therapy or any other medical treatments?

I hope that long-term everything is OK. Your whole body is going to be sore from the trauma, and I'm sure you tensed up the moment you realized what was going to happen.

Feel better soon!
  • That sounds absolutely terrifying.  I am so glad that you are okay.  Years and years ago, I was riding in my sister's car and she was making a left turn across 3 lanes of traffic.  Well the first two lanes were stopped and had left a gap (it was right by a stoplight). So she made the turn...I can still remember looking out my side window and realizing we were going to get hit by a car in that split second before the collision.  It was so terrifying.

I hope you get yourself checked out, just in case there is an issue.  And again, I am so glad you are okay!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    Choagie I am so glad you are OK and can't believe this happened.  I run on roads similar to what you've described and am sure I would've done the same exact thing, including not calling the police.

Definitely go and make sure you are OK.  And take care of yourself today!
  • That sounds absolutely terrifying.  I am so glad that you are okay.  Years and years ago, I was riding in my sister's car and she was making a left turn across 3 lanes of traffic.  Well the first two lanes were stopped and had left a gap (it was right by a stoplight). So she made the turn...I can still remember looking out my side window and realizing we were going to get hit by a car in that split second before the collision.  It was so terrifying.

I hope you get yourself checked out, just in case there is an issue.  And again, I am so glad you are okay!

Heather - and this is why it's (I believe?) illegal to let people thru with that many lanes of traffic. It's impossible to clearly see across all the lanes and safely judge when/if it's okay to go. Same thing happened to my little sister and she totaled her car.

Heather - and this is why it's (I believe?) illegal to let people thru with that many lanes of traffic. It's impossible to clearly see across all the lanes and safely judge when/if it's okay to go. Same thing happened to my little sister and she totaled her car.
    Really? I had no idea.  That reasoning makes sense and now I feel like less of an ass when I don't leave space for the people in the turn lane.  I mean I usually try to let them through if I am going to be stopped at a light anyway, but some days it just doesn't happen.  Is it a certain number of lanes?  It was a really only two lanes, but right at the drive to my sister's apartment a right turn lane started.  And my sister's car was totaled as well. 

Sorry to threadjack!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Heather - I believe the law states you can only turn into the closest lane when making a right with stopped traffic...I don't think you're supposed to make a left at all until traffic clears. I'm by no means an expert though...
  • Choagie, glad you're okay!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Entropic's right, it is illegal. You assume liability at any time when you allow a car to go ahead of you or through an intersection like that. You're never supposed to wave another car through either. 

Sorry you got hit and that you can't file a report. I second popping into urgent care to get your insides cleared. Internal bleeding can be fatal is not attended to. Otherwise, take some couch time and feel better soon. 

I run through our neighborhood and cross dozens of crosswalks every time I'm out. I make it a habit to slow down before getting to crosswalk, waving like a lunatic if there's a car, and sprinting through them. I look a fool, but I have yet to get hit.  
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks so much ladies, you all are so supportive.  I did go to the doc and got a relatively clean bill of health as far as anything serious is concerned.  My R knee is swollen but no broken bones.  My hip was "locked" on the left side which they put back in correct alignment for me.  My chiropractor also did a few adjustments to help with the soreness that's bound to intensify I would imagine.  I do feel better getting it checked out, though.  Thanks for the encouragement to do that.  It's weird, but this part of me felt really guilty about going, like it was my fault, and hearing the consensus here really helped me to just suck it up and get checked out.

Now I'll focus on recovery, easing back into activity, and hopefully eating healthfully during this short hiatus!

Love to you all!!!!! 
  • Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2013
    Such a wonderful and inspiring attitude about the next steps with it @choagie42! :) So glad there is nothing serious and hope you aren't too sore today!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards