Wedding Reception Forum

First dance song not in English?

Hi, first post here, lurked a while. My husband and I got married in a private ceremony in Vegas earlier this month, and our family reception is next month.

Both my husband and I speak Russian, while nobody else attending our wedding does. I am absolutely in love with the Russian version of "I see the light" from Tangled, and my husband enjoys it too. The movie is special to us, and the language especially, and the lyrics of this song in Russian have more emotion and meaning. I would love to use this as our first dance song!

Of course my only hang-up is that no one would know what the words are! I have thought of playing the youtube lyric video while we dance, but that may be distracting, but then again so would be handing out paper lyric cards. So, I don't know what to do. I have another song picked out that we will probably end up using (Then by Brad Paisley), but I just can't shake this idea from my mind. 

All opinions and advice welcome. I know it probably isn't a good idea, but would any of you do it anyway?

Re: First dance song not in English?

• If it had meaning to me, I most certainly would do it. I don't think it matters if people can understand the words or not. Many people are just watching you dance and listening to the music rather than focusing on the lyrics. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Use it- that sounds so sweet!  I don't usually listen to the lyrics of first dance songs anyway.  (And while my first dance song was in English, my father-daughter dance was not.)  I just don't think it matters.
  • AddieL73 said:
    If it had meaning to me, I most certainly would do it. I don't think it matters if people can understand the words or not. Many people are just watching you dance and listening to the music rather than focusing on the lyrics. 

You bring up a good point... I have to admit that mine will be the first wedding I have attended of my adult life, so I guess I didn't really realize nobody focuses on the lyrics. haha  I picked my father/daughter song specifically because of lyrics! I loved the song anyways though.
  • The only people who care about the lyrics to the song (first dance or F/D dance) are the people dancing to it.

If it means something to both of you then use it.

• The only people who care about the lyrics to the song (first dance or F/D dance) are the people dancing to it.

If it means something to both of you then use it.

thank you, that is a great way to put it. 
  • Love that song. go for it. And anyone who has seen the movie knows what it means anyway :)
  • Hi, first post here, lurked a while. My husband and I got married in a private ceremony in Vegas earlier this month, and our family reception is next month.

Both my husband and I speak Russian, while nobody else attending our wedding does. I am absolutely in love with the Russian version of "I see the light" from Tangled, and my husband enjoys it too. The movie is special to us, and the language especially, and the lyrics of this song in Russian have more emotion and meaning. I would love to use this as our first dance song!

Of course my only hang-up is that no one would know what the words are! I have thought of playing the youtube lyric video while we dance, but that may be distracting, but then again so would be handing out paper lyric cards. So, I don't know what to do. I have another song picked out that we will probably end up using (Then by Brad Paisley), but I just can't shake this idea from my mind. 

All opinions and advice welcome. I know it probably isn't a good idea, but would any of you do it anyway?
    ???

Anniversary

• Hi, first post here, lurked a while. My husband and I got married in a private ceremony in Vegas earlier this month, and our family reception is next month.

???
    My thoughts exactly.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this!

OP - You already got married.  Nobody can attend your wedding again. I'd be more concerned with the fact that you seem to be recreating a wedding than what language a song is in.
  • Wow, my goodness?! I forgot to type a word. No one else that will be attending our wedding reception.

JoanE2012 said:
    Hi, first post here, lurked a while. My husband and I got married in a private ceremony in Vegas earlier this month, and our family reception is next month.

???

OP - You already got married.  Nobody can attend your wedding again. I'd be more concerned with the fact that you seem to be recreating a wedding than what language a song is in.

• Wow, my goodness?! I forgot to type a word. No one else that will be attending our wedding reception.

JoanE2012 said:

???

A wedding reception happens immediately after the ceremony.  It is your way of thanking the guests for attending your ceremony.  I hope you're just planning a party without the main wedding elements.
  • Well don't worry, it's just a reception dinner and dancing. No garter/bouquet toss etc. & I am not wearing the dress I wore to my wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards