Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Shower Gift for Hostesses?

Hello!

My bridal shower is next month and I have six women that are hosting it. Any ideas on creative gifts that I can give without spending too much? I would like to create some kind of basket, but not spend more than $25 per person. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!!

Re: Shower Gift for Hostesses?

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Hello!

My bridal shower is next month and I have six women that are hosting it. Any ideas on creative gifts that I can give without spending too much? I would like to create some kind of basket, but not spend more than $25 per person. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!!

They would much more appreciate a nice thank you note, and a giftcard to Starbucks, Amazon, Target, Sephora, etc.

You could also do a note and their favorite bottle of booze or wine.

Baskets are "cute", but most people do not need more stuff.

When I think of gift baskets, I normally think of a theme...like beauty products, or coffee/tea lovers, or kitchen/baking related. We normally donate these for silent auctions, so maybe that's why I'm not a fan of it as a personal gift.

• Options
    OtterJOtterJ member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Part of the wedding gift that I gave to my bridesmaids was a post-wedding relaxation kit - it would work for shower thank you gifts too.  I went to discount stores, like Ross, Tuesday Morning, etc.  and purchased small candles, lotions, hand made soap, etc.  They're things that most women use....at least I hope that most women use soap :-).  Depending on how much you spend on these, you can maybe get a bathrobe, or slippers too. 

For the shower gifts, I bought gourmet candy, and a little stained glass butterfly that hangs on the edge of a flower pot (my wedding invitations had butterflies on them). 

The main thing is just to let them know that you appreciate their effort and help.  :-) 
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    OtterJ said:
    Part of the wedding gift that I gave to my bridesmaids was a post-wedding relaxation kit - it would work for shower thank you gifts too.  I went to discount stores, like Ross, Tuesday Morning, etc.  and purchased small candles, lotions, hand made soap, etc.  They're things that most women use....at least I hope that most women use soap :-).  Depending on how much you spend on these, you can maybe get a bathrobe, or slippers too. 

For the shower gifts, I bought gourmet candy, and a little stained glass butterfly that hangs on the edge of a flower pot (my wedding invitations had butterflies on them). 

The main thing is just to let them know that you appreciate their effort and help.  :-) 

Honestly, nobody wants cheapie candles, lotions, and body wash. Any gracious receiver will of course pretend like it's the best gift ever...but it will go in the trash, or at most the guest bathroom.

Most women have specific products, brands, and scents that they prefer.

• Options
    JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
     I bought my girls candles, hand sanitizer, (we all love a specific brand. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking hand sanitizer seems like an odd thing if you don't know "my" girls, lol), and also a perfume each. I know not everyone loves scents, but it depends on the girls in your group. If you're close enough, and know them well enough to choose something based on what you know they'd like, then I don't see scented gifts as a problem. I put them in a clear gift wrap bag & tied them with our 'wedding colour' ribbon. I also plan to attach a nice thank-you note to each! :)

I agree, that the main thing regardless of what you buy, is to let them know how much you appreciate everything! :)

*J
  • Options
    OtterJOtterJ member

Honestly, nobody wants cheapie candles, lotions, and body wash. Any gracious receiver will of course pretend like it's the best gift ever...but it will go in the trash, or at most the guest bathroom.

You understand what a discount store is, right?  It's a store that holds name brand, or nicer products that they provide at a discount.  So they're not "cheapie." 

When I was a teen, I would get "girly" gifts like soaps and lotions, and would always store them away and not use them.  At some point in adulthood, I realized that just because they were different than what I normally used, it doesn't mean that I won't like them.  I started going through them, and while not every product was my favorite, I did realize that I was closing myself off to some amazing products because I was closed minded and immature.  I'm glad I grew up. 

Plus, I do know my "girls" well, and went for things that were parabin free, for sensitive skin, all natural, made in the USA type of stuff, to accommodate their specific tastes.  I also know that they're not the kind of girls to "splurge" on themselves for products that they go through all too quickly, so I did it for them. 

What's important is that you know who you are giving gifts to!  Obviously, the two lovely ladies that think that no woman alive would appreciate a nice lotion, do not want lotion themselves.  Others do....all depends on the woman!
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    edited June 2013
    OtterJ said:

Maybe YOU do, but you shouldn't generalize that MOST do. I buy whatever's on sale at the grocery store, so I would love getting something better.
    @OtterJ, discount store hand lotion and soap is not a good gift. Yes, I know what a "discount" store is. And I still wouldn't use those products, as they've been rehandled/reshipped multiple times. It's fine if you personally like it, but it is not a good gift. That was my point.
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    How well do you know your hostesses?  I would try to cater to their individual tastes if at all possible. Does one hostess love to read?  A gift card to Barnes & Noble, iTunes, or Apple would be more well received, and appreciated than a basket of random items that the hostess may or may not use. 

Spend the majority of your time and creative juices writing a heartfelt note.
  • Options
    OtterJOtterJ member
    edited June 2013
    @itzMS, your "point" is an opinion that not everyone holds, and it has been quite thoroughly expressed. Continuing to be negative or bash the ideas of others just because they don't hold up to your personal standards isn't helping anybody. If you do have any more gift ideas within the original posters price range besides gift cards, then please, share them. I'm sorry for trying to help by offering an idea. I thought that's what we were here for.
  • Options
    When I hosted a shower, I received a beautiful vase and cut flowers as a thank you gift, and I loved it.  You might consider that or a potted plant.  But as everyone else has noted here, consider your recepient- some people love flowers and plants, some would not!
  • Options

I have hosted bunches of showers and my favorites, a daylily (I am a gardener), a bottle of wine with chocolate, (can't go wrong with that), notecards with my monogram, and a bag full of tea and cookies, and biscotti.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I got my girls some nice bath products and a decent bottle of wine - put a cute little card with it that said "You deserve some me time" and attached a nice thank you card... they both loved it and used it.  I knew they would enjoy it because I know them both well, my MOH rarely gets any "me time" being a single mother and my other BM lives with 4 other people so she rarely gets peace and quiet too... the gift reminded them to just relax every now and then.  They both actually asked where I got some of the bath stuff so they could replenish their supplies. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards