Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Nitrogen Ice Cream Bar

I am really interested in the idea of liquid nitrogen ice cream for our wedding! Has anyone done this or know anyone in the Pittsburgh area who can supply this? I am having a difficult time finding anywhere locally that provides this service.

Re: Nitrogen Ice Cream Bar

• carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Never heard of it. I would start asking around with vendors to see if they have helped a wedding or event that has done this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Ummm... that sounds kind of dangerous IMO. What's wrong with a standard ice cream bar?
  • MrsDydekMrsDydek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_nitrogen-ice-cream-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:96d52c4f-5843-4205-80c9-bc65bf8871aaPost:5366290f-74f1-40a8-aaca-bcbaa3c984e9">Re: Nitrogen Ice Cream Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ummm... that sounds kind of dangerous IMO. What's wrong with a standard ice cream bar?
    Posted by KimWard[/QUOTE]

<div>It is about as dangerous, if not less dangerous than, a flaming desert bar. </div><div>
    </div><div>I fould this artice <a href="http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/kids/a/birthday_party.htm">http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/kids/a/birthday_party.htm</a></div><div>
    </div><div>It is about kids birthday parites but the first idea says that you can plan at your own place that can include a liquid nitrogen bar. Maybe you can call them up and ask them who does the nitrogen bar at those birthday parties, or if they can come and do it for your wedding?</div><div>
    </div><div>I hope that helped some</div>
    edited December 2011
    A flaming dessert bar might also come across as risky business to me. I would be concerned with someone getting too close and ending up with hair on fire. 
    edited December 2011
    Ok, so I took the time to stop being lazy and googled it myself.

I would contact the Carnegie Museum to talk to them about this. It looks like they charge $300 per 25 students to do this for birthday parties, so I would logically assume that it's going to cost at least twice that amount for a non-child event. Between it being a bit more involved with adults, rather than kids, and there being at least twice as many guests (I'm assuming though, but maybe you're having a very small wedding), I would think it would cost at least twice as much. You're also going to want to clear this with your venue to make sure that they are ok with this. Just like bartenders that work with flames-they may or may not see it as more of a risk. All just food for thought. I would start with the Museum and see what they have to say, since they do kid's parties with liquid nitrogen bars.
  • MrsDydekMrsDydek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_nitrogen-ice-cream-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:96d52c4f-5843-4205-80c9-bc65bf8871aaPost:3cc53825-5045-4494-8419-c112ff2042b7">Re: Nitrogen Ice Cream Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]A flaming dessert bar might also come across as risky business to me. I would be concerned with someone getting too close and ending up with hair on fire. 
    Posted by carcrashheart[/QUOTE]

<div>That is why they have people called professionals. Actually a flaming desert bar is really easy to learn even if you are not a professional cook. It isn't like the guest won't realize that they are near the flamming desert station, it is really hard to miss.. whern you go to a hibachi grill you sit closer to the fire than people would stand next to a flaming desert bar. </div><div>
    </div><div>Caterers have done flamming desert bars for years and I have never heard of an injury occuring (and especially in this day and age, if someone did get hurt, EVERYONE would know), I'm not sure how long nitrogen ice cream bars have been around but I have heard of them done a lot, including - as my above post stated - at childrens birthday parties.</div><div>
    </div><div> If it was that dangerous, do you really think that such an upstanding and well known establishment as the Carnegie Science Center would preform it at kids birthday parties?</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Regardless of if it's dangerous or not, still good to check with your venue about whether or not it's okay to have them. They likely need some form of liability insurance that covers them in some capacity/want to ensure that whoever provides it has coverage so they're the ones that get sued if something does happen and not the venue. We're not allowed to have candles at our wedding venue for instance because it's a liability. Of course adult guests know that a candle flame is hot, but nonetheless....
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Secretgurl9Secretgurl9 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    nitrogen ice cream bar sounds like a great idea, especially because I'm an absolute science nerd. It's a good way to integrate my interests in a way that everyone can enjoy. 

The chemistry fraternity that I'm a member of actually does liquid nitrogen ice cream quite frequently with no mishaps, and we're not pros, just science geeks. Not really dangerous. Just keep it away from drunk people. It makes fresh ice cream and you won't have to worry about it melting because it would be produced as it is served. 
  • KbcoldfusionKbcoldfusion member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! My name is EmIly and I am in the process of expanding my business which specializes in liquid nitrogen ice cream at special events! I don't know if you've already found someone or a different alternative, but I will be happy to further discuss our services with you. Our website is currently being built; www.kbcoldfusion.com. I can also be reached via email at Emily@kbcoldfusion.com or at 215-778-0549. Thank you and I hope we have the opportunity to be part of your event! Sincerely! Emily
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards