Pre-wedding Parties

larger party for friends BEFORE a smaller wedding?

Hello!

We are having a small (25 person) wedding in the fall for family/close friends (mostly out of town), but would like to also celebrate with a wider circle of local friends. I just graduated, so we are thinking of having this larger gathering in the summer before most of my local friends start moving away. One other catch: for legal (immigration) reasons we will likely actually be getting legally married soon, just before or just after this larger casual party.

Is the following wording OK? Should we keep the fact that we'll be legally married this summer on the low-down so as not to confuse people? Thanks so much for any advice!

We're getting married! We're having a small wedding in the fall but want to celebrate with you before then. Please join us for sushi and sake on Saturday, July 20 at 7pm. No need to bring anything--we'd love to see you!  RSVP. Our apartment is at: XXXX near the XXXX metro station.

Re: larger party for friends BEFORE a smaller wedding?

• Take the part about your getting married out, and it's perfect. :-)
  • L0L0 member
    First Comment
    okay, thanks!
  • NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    L0 said:
    Hello!

We are having a small (25 person) wedding in the fall for family/close friends (mostly out of town), but would like to also celebrate with a wider circle of local friends. I just graduated, so we are thinking of having this larger gathering in the summer before most of my local friends start moving away. One other catch: for legal (immigration) reasons we will likely actually be getting legally married soon, just before or just after this larger casual party.

Is the following wording OK? Should we keep the fact that we'll be legally married this summer on the low-down so as not to confuse people? Thanks so much for any advice!

We're getting married! We're having a small wedding in the fall but want to celebrate with you before then. Please join us for sushi and sake on Saturday, July 20 at 7pm. No need to bring anything--we'd love to see you!  RSVP. Our apartment is at: XXXX near the XXXX metro station.

If you're already married, for both your parties party you say something like "to celebrate the marriage of L0 and Mr. L0". Btw, if you marry in the summer, then that is your wedding. Whatever the thing is in the fall, it couldn't possibly be a wedding.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You are marrying this summer.  You are having a Fall wedding.  You want to have a casual party in the summer.

The invitations for the casual party should simply say......
    Join us!
    Sushi and Sake
    Saturday, July 20, 7 PM

If you include the words, "We're getting married" it could be construed that you are throwing an engagement party for yourselves.  That should be avoided.

Your Fall party invitation should read something like this..........
    Bride and Groom are happy to announce their marriage, which took place on XX-XX-2013. (Insert your wedding date here.)  Join us for a celebration on (Fall Date).

• L0 said:
    Hello!

You are getting married in the summer.  Skip the fake re-do in the fall, and celebrate with your friends and family whenever you want to.
  • So you're trying to have 2 ceremonies, 2 receptions and you want to throw yourself a pre-wedding party?

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards