Attire & Accessories Forum

Adding sleeves

Hi everyone, I recently bought my dress. It's great! I would like to add some type of cap sleeve or sleeve to it though. It's a satin ball gown, with embroyery and bling. Let me know if anyone has done this? Thanks! K

Re: Adding sleeves

• Hi everyone, I recently bought my dress. It's great! I would like to add some type of cap sleeve or sleeve to it though. It's a satin ball gown, with embroyery and bling. Let me know if anyone has done this? Thanks! K
    It varies by dress, I think. Your best bet is to consult a seamstress or two. 
  • Hi everyone, I recently bought my dress. It's great! I would like to add some type of cap sleeve or sleeve to it though. It's a satin ball gown, with embroyery and bling. Let me know if anyone has done this? Thanks!
    I added sleeves to my dress. My dress is chiffon and more flowing and DB had chiffon sleeves readily available that went well with my dress.  The sleeves were originally intended to go over the shoulders in more of a cap sleeve, but I had them add some elastic and place them off the shoulders.  This enabled me to cover the part of my arms that I don't like and to have them feel younger and less matronly.  I love how they turned out.  Your best bet is to see what options your bridal salon has or if they can order additional fabric from the designer.  A good seamstress can create pretty much anything you want.
  • @krissylee3

Hey There! I'm most likely going to go with the adding sleeves options! I think you just need to find a dress whose sleeve you love and talk to a seamstress about it. I think it would be easy enough and worse comes to worse I bet they are super easy to remove if you decide you don't like them. I know one of the dresses I'm interested in adding sleeves to actually has it so the sleeves can be tucked in and I've seen some dresses with a button attachment so you can go from ceremony/photos to a no sleeve dance party!
  • I added sleeves to my dress also.  My dress was an Alfred Angelo and AA added the sleeves at the time of the production.  My seamstress had to alter and basically recreate them because they were huge.  Talk to a seamstress, or you could look into an option like a bolero.  Etsy has tons of gorgeous boleros.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks guys!  Once my dress comes in, I'll probably take it to a seamstress and see what her thoughts are.  Thanks for all your input!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards